2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New MH Shiny Fabrics - Not a Big Fan, Mountain Hardwear Shiny Material< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Trojans1993 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 08 2012, 12:12 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello there, I really like my old MH Compressor jacket and looking to replace it, but the newer material looks so shiny on the rack and I really don't like drawing that kind of attention on the trail.  Does anyone own one of these that has been washed a few times?  I'm very curious if the initial shine dulls a bit after going through the washer for a few cycles.

I would go with another maker, but MH just seems to fit my taller thinner build better than many other I've tried.  Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Idahobackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree. I just returned a MH Ghost Whisperer that I ordered because it felt like I was wearing a black trash bag.
Some people like the shiny look, but it's not for me.
 Post Number: 3
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Agreed, looks like some of the stuff montbell had a few yrs ago

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 4
gregpphoto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 10:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Honestly, why do you care? Hiking is not a fashion show. If something works, use it. If it doesnt, dont. I dont wish to sound mean, but do you know how silly it sounds, complaining about a piece of clothing cuz it might be too shiny? Ive seen dudes hiking peaks barefoot and plenty of garbage-bag ponchos, so be grateful that you can afford such high-end gear.
 Post Number: 5
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gregpphoto @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:23 am)
Honestly, why do you care?

Because he is the consumer. He has a right to care about what he buys, doesn't he?

But since you don't care, watch for good deals on these when they have excess inventory due to nobody buying shiny coats. Lucky you...

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Dec. 13 2012, 12:20 pm)

(gregpphoto @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:23 am)
Honestly, why do you care?

Because he is the consumer. He has a right to care about what he buys, doesn't he?

But since you don't care, watch for good deals on these when they have excess inventory due to nobody buying shiny coats. Lucky you...

That is a good way to look at it. But you dont see an issue with this whiney baby consumerism? I mean, its one thing when something doesnt work well or at all, but we're talking about the way it looks. I.e., something 100% superficial and that has no bearing whatsoever on its durability, effectiveness, etc.
 Post Number: 7
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 2:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gregpphoto @ Dec. 13 2012, 12:27 pm)
But you dont see an issue with this whiney baby consumerism? I mean, its one thing when something doesnt work well or at all, but we're talking about the way it looks. I.e., something 100% superficial and that has no bearing whatsoever on its durability, effectiveness, etc.

So, in all honesty, if the manufacturer of your favorite non-little-girl jacket started making it only in pink and baby blue, you'd have no problems with it?

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 8
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He asked; Does anyone own one of these that has been washed a few times?  I'm very curious if the initial shine dulls a bit after going through the washer for a few cycles.

How is that being a whiney baby?

Personally I don't care for wet-look puffies as they look like what the gang-bangers wear. I don't care for red or yellow either, but use them when I have to.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Dec. 13 2012, 2:11 pm)

(gregpphoto @ Dec. 13 2012, 12:27 pm)
But you dont see an issue with this whiney baby consumerism? I mean, its one thing when something doesnt work well or at all, but we're talking about the way it looks. I.e., something 100% superficial and that has no bearing whatsoever on its durability, effectiveness, etc.

So, in all honesty, if the manufacturer of your favorite non-little-girl jacket started making it only in pink and baby blue, you'd have no problems with it?

So long as it doesnt effect the quality, durability, efficacy etc of the product, then I dont care if its bright fuscha with rhinestone penises, I'll wear it.
 Post Number: 10
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i can't speak for this jacket, but one of my older mountain hardwear down parkas initially looked fairly slick - though not luge-suit shiny.  it has become somewhat less slick from regular use.  never bothered me.  

some of western mountaineering's very lightweight fabrics on their down jackets and sleeping bags look very shiny.  i haven't heard anyone complain about either the look or the durability.    

what i'm wondering is where the idea for rhinestone depictions of genitalia came from.  feathered friends does custom work, maybe they will build that one for you.  :)
 Post Number: 11
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 14 2012, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

You've got to realize a lot of people other than us hikers and backpackers are buying these clothes. And so the clothing makers may market to those people as they may make up the vast majority of buyers. We may be the minority. Look at all of the North Face clothing that is worn on  high school and college campuses.
10 replies since Dec. 08 2012, 12:12 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New MH Shiny Fabrics - Not a Big Fan
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions