2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Suggestions for a good ~4800 cu-in backpack, For Philmont< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Bravo11 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 12:17 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking for suggestions for a backpack that has a capacity of around 4800 CI.
I'll be using it at Philmont next season.
If anyone has any other suggestions for pack size for a Philmont trip I would be very interested.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 12:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's a huge pack.  Do you know what you're going to put in it yet?
 Post Number: 3
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 7:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Way too much.

80% of the Scouts I have been around as a backpacking volunteer or have seen on the trail have too large packs. Easily 95% had their packs fitted and loaded improperly adding to the misery.

Bravo11 you should take your gear to an REI or the like and have somebody help you find a pack there. Have them add a bear vault as your food load should be no bigger than that for your longest duration trip.

Buy it there and have them fit it for you. Most teens need smaller waistbelts to go with the medium or long torso suspensions.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 4
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 9:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It kind of like the military. Philmont tells you that you will have 4000 cuin external or 4800 cuin internal pack.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 5
Bravo11 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Normal payload is:
30 deg stuff sack, one person tent, Z pad, light jacket, rain gear, food, stove, water filter, small first aid kit, possibles kit. one change of clothes.
That's all I can think of now.
That gear won't fit in my Granite Gear Precipice(3000) and just makes it into a Kelty Coyote(4750)
 Post Number: 6
hike500 Search for posts by this member.
Desert Dweller

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Golite Quest 4392 ci. 72 Liters, and after the gear below I have room left over. Keep in mind I just stuff my sleeping bag and ten directly into my pack, the only stuff sack I use is for my food.

Backpack Golite Quest 4392 ci. 72 Liters
Solo Tent  Tarptent Rainbow with 4 Easton Stakes
Pillow Exped Air Pillow Large
Sleeping Pad Ridge Rest Solar 3/4" R-Value 3.5
Sleeping Bag Western Mountaineering Alpinlite
Pot MSR Titan Kettle
Mug Toaks Titanium Mug 375 ML
Spoon SnowPeak Spork
MSR Dromedary Bag 4 Liter
Water Bottle 32oz Nalgene Oasis Canteen
Small Bottle 16oz Nalgene Bottle
Stove Optimus Crux Lite
Fuel SnowPeak 110g Canister Empty
Knife Becker BK16 with EnZo Leather Sheath and Firesteel
Saw Bahco Laplander
Camera Kodak C143 12mp with Lithium Batteries
Light Petzl Tikka II Head Lamp with Lithium Batteries
Soft Shell Jacket Mountain Hardwear Microstretch Zip T
Maxpedition Pouch FAK,  Matches, Suunto M-2 Compass, Duct Tape, Car Key
Consumables Food, Water, and Wipes

--------------
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
 Post Number: 7
EdD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Add to your normal load crew gear and food. Philmont does things a bit differently then we would do when backpacking on a troop level. Crew gear includes a dining fly, cookset, sanitation kit and bear bags/ropes. I'm certain that I'm forgetting something, but you get the idea. Food is packaged for two people. One day's meals for two is then three bags. It's not the most compact stuff too. Food is drawn 3-4 times on the trail so a full load (11 days) is not necessary.

Also, Philmont is not backpacking in the sense of a trip in the Sierra is. Philmont has 35 staffed camps that have various programs. So, it's more like hiking with your gear from camp to camp. That said, the kids I've taken have always had a blast. Some come overloaded with too much STUFF. We strip it down but somehow some of it creeps back. ;)

Philmont's size recommendations come from past experience and looking at gear the kids are likely to bring. Crews with more experience and lighter gear get by with less in terms of pack size.

You'll get good advice here. There is another forum you may want to check also: Philmont Forum
YMMV
 Post Number: 8
NElander Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went to Philmont last summer.  I used an Osprey Ather 70 liter (4200 ci) pack.  Like one of the previous post suggested, depending on the size of your other gear, depends on the size of your pack.  Last summer was my second trip so I downsized a little from my first trip and had plenty of room.  Also, depending on your trek, you may getting food every three days instead of four.
 Post Number: 9
bikehikefish Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 7:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My advise is to take advise fRom those who have been to Philmont, and follow Philmonts recomendations.  The Philmont forum mentioned earlier is good, and backpacking light has a Philmont forum.

Like it or not, you are will be doing things " the Philmont way", so your pack size is dictated by the gear Philmont issues, although your troop has options to substitute.  Think bulky food bags, big pots and a dining fly.
 Post Number: 10
Mountain Dog Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 4:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pricy but light and durable--Ultra Light Adventure pack.  Google it.  I bought one of their original mode3ls and it has been even better than I envisioned.  The 4800 model will probably weigh less than 2.5 pounds and they have ample outside storage to make accessing day use items such as water pills, compass, knife, light, etc,) easy.

--------------
If you faint in the face of adversity then your strength is indeed small.
9 replies since Dec. 10 2012, 12:17 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Suggestions for a good ~4800 cu-in backpack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions