2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Best ABC watch..., Looking for a nice trekking watch...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
celtics586 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 7:02 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As Christmas is approaching, I've been doing a lot of research on watches. I'm looking for a watch with altimeter, barometer, temperature, and a compass. From what I've been looking at I am somewhat interested in the Suunto Core. But if anyone has any information on the Suunto X-Lander please give me the feed! I'm open to all opinions and companies. I don't care what company makes it or anything like that, I would just like a nice reliable one however. I'm a college student, so i would prefer an all black color that is somewhat stylish enough to be worn casually be awesome enough for reliable use in the field...

Thanks
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 9:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the casio paw 1300. It goes for around $200.
Altimeter usually within '150 feet. Fine for hiking and having a little extra info to find yourself on a topo map, but not sufficient for skydiving, like the core. The temp function works but you will have to remove it from your wrist for at least 15 min to get an accurate reading. Solar power and atomic time is awesome. Compass is right on after proper calibration.  
It is the slimmest of the pathfinder series. I find this very important in the winter while trying to get a bunch of layers over my wrist lol. It's rugged, I have had it for three years and have abused it. It's scratched up but works great. The light could be brighter.
Funny thing is i didn't like the paw at first because it wasn't set up correctly. The button function is not exactly intuitive and the manual is extensive. But after spending a while reading the instructions it has become my go to watch.
The core is soooo cool looking though :) It tends to eat up batteries. The alti reads fast enough to skydive with. The ABC funtions tend to be more accurate.  
I would steer away from any watch with the negative display, they are just too hard to see.
And depending on  your price range there are more accurate watches, but you mentioned being a college student, I know that can break the bank ;)
 Post Number: 3
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 9:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cannot comment on the X-lander, but I do own the Core.  I used it extensively in the past year, and I'm quite happy with it.  I found the altimeter to be very accurate (as long as you are calibrating at the trailhead!!!).  I got about a year out of it before needing to replace the battery, so in my mind that's not too bad.  I suppose that would be a deal breaker for some though.

Barometer function is obviously as accurate as the alti function (again making sure to keep it calibrated).  The temp function on any of these watches is only so-so when you are wearing on your wrist because it picks up your body temp.  Hang it on a strap or in your tent and it's accuracy is much better.  As far as the compass function...seems to work well enough (but you gotta keep it level!).  For me personally, I'd rather use an actual compass.

They're an expensive toy, so weigh your choices carefully, and then enjoy your cool new toy!!  I got mine about half-off at an REI Garage Sale.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice. ???
 Post Number: 4
cctroupe11 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Suunto X-Lander Military. I love it. It's tough. I'm in the military so I'm constantly banging my body and gear on anything you could think of during training and my watch has no scratches, chips, etc. It records recent barometric readings to give you a guess on the weather conditions in the near future, which is nice. Altimeter seems pretty accurate so far. I've been up in Durango and Silverton, CO as well as low as Ft. Stewart, GA (which is below sea level) and the readings are accurate. I also like the display. You can choose between 12/24 hour, metric and standard readings. Nighttime glow is a pretty blue-green. I do it sometimes just cause its sp pretty. ;)
 Post Number: 5
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 9:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just picked up the Suunto Core (all black military model) and am pretty excited about it...although, I don't actually have it in my hands just yet. I picked mine up for $240 on eBay which is not too bad, but what sucks is that they were going for $179 in a recent 40% off sale at EB...

As a result of the new purchase, I am selling my current High Gear Axio Max... It was fine, but I am hoping that the Core is just a much better piece, and I like that I can lock the buttons since that was one gripe with the HG... I would look at the watch and it would be on a different screen that what I left it on. I also like that I can lock either the barometric pressure or the altimeter setting on the Core...

I really can't wait to get it in... it should be here sometime between Wednesday and Friday...

Oh yeah... as I said, mine is the negative display, and while I have not had it to say how I like it personally, it does seem like it is one of the biggest complaints people have with this watch. On the other hand, I have read/seen/heard of a lot of people that say it is fine and easy to read...

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
cctroupe11 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 10:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stick- the negative display isn't bad. It's a little difficult to read in direct, bright sunlight outdoors, but what digital display isn't? During normal night and dim light it's perfect, IMO. It looks really neat in darkness though when you hit the backlight, too.
 Post Number: 7
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(cctroupe11 @ Dec. 23 2012, 9:07 pm)
Stick- the negative display isn't bad. It's a little difficult to read in direct, bright sunlight outdoors, but what digital display isn't? During normal night and dim light it's perfect, IMO. It looks really neat in darkness though when you hit the backlight, too.

Thanks. I am really excited about getting the watch... this just makes it more exciting!  :)

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
6 replies since Dec. 10 2012, 7:02 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Best ABC watch...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions