2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Your "dream" 2-person shelter?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 1:41 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, if you could have any 3-season 2-person shelter or shelter system for backpacking, which one would you get?  By "shelter system", I mean something like the MLD Haven + nest.

Cost isn't much of a factor but let's say under $600.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 1:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For two real people?

A 3-person system.

With a preference for free standing and having liked my BA Emerald Mountain: The Copper Spur UL-3?

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/CopperSpurUL32012

Split between 2 packs it would come in (with footprint) under 3 pounds per pack.

ETA: for multiple people the vertical walls come into play to make best use of the floor space, when alone I can hog the apex of my Solomid. The EM and CS form has a nice wall angle, more vertical than a lot of systems, so the floor's dimensions are more available for multiple people.
 Post Number: 3
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 1:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm with High Sierra (mostly).
Big Agnes Copper Spur. Which I already own a love. Sold most of my older tents to get it.
But I prefer the actual 2 man tent. I don't need the extra room. I guess if I roomed up with other guys I would...but I never do. That's when I break out the solo.
 Post Number: 4
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 2.

I've been through a number of tents and this is the one I've kept, and not only because of the at times spectacularly low price, but the headroom, simplicity, ventilation, strong materials, large vestibules, and reasonable weight. There is no tent I'm aware of that I would rather have (after months of researching tents), but I wish ALPS would make the footwall more vertical, at least for the first couple of feet. Every tent I've looked at has some drawback, but the Zephyr has the fewest.
 Post Number: 5
Dabrador Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 2:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just bought my 'dream' 3 season 2 person shelter...REI Quarter Dome T2. I also considered the Hubba Hubba, Copper Spur and Marmot Limelight.

REI won out for me because of the sum of all its parts...weight, living space, # of doors and vestibules, venting options, door & pole configuration, balance of mesh and nylon, waterproofing.

Also, I bought it right when they lowered the price. Apparently others thought it was great also as it's now sold out and unavailable.
 Post Number: 6
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For me. it is the Rainshadow 2 .  If I felt cautious about heavy rain, I could put up an additional tarp to prevent some of the splatter.  42 ounces for the comfort of a 3 person shelter, with a 48 inch ceiling to sit up in.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 7
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A Mountain Hardware Space Station and a sturdy sherpa.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 3:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FAIL.  Not even close to her $600 budget.  :)  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

D'oh.  You're right. :p

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ol-zeke @ Dec. 10 2012, 12:49 pm)
FAIL.  Not even close to her $600 budget.  :)  

Why I left off the Airstream
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

[Rolling eyes]  I was originally going to say "cost no object" but just knew that I'd get some smarta$$ response...   :p

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 4:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Dec. 10 2012, 1:16 pm)
[Rolling eyes]  I was originally going to say "cost no object" but just knew that I'd get some smarta$$ response...   :p

Oh, you mean like one of these?
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 4:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Honestly,  if I could have ANY tent, within that price range I would go with this.
FLY Creek Platinum
It's just over 2 pounds.
I don't see why anyone would go with a tarp tent when you could have a full featured tent for the same (less?) weight.
 Post Number: 14
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd actually stick with my Golite Shangri-La 5. I love having extra room, being able to stand up in winter, and still be under 3lbs. Yes, it's floorless but that hasn't bothered me one bit. If it really did, I would just add their floor but I find my individual floors to be more flexible and work fine in every bit of weather I've encountered.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 15
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Golite Shangri-La 3 for me. Plus nest & carbine fiber center pole.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 16
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 6:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TigerFan @ Dec. 10 2012, 11:41 am)
So, if you could have any 3-season 2-person shelter or shelter system for backpacking, which one would you get?  By "shelter system", I mean something like the MLD Haven + nest.

Cost isn't much of a factor but let's say under $600.

Without hesitation, MSR Hubba Hubba HP (not available in North America)... I have the Hubba HP (ordered it from England this past summer) and would love to have the pricey 2-person version (about $500).

These are the guys I got my Hubba from... outstanding service and 3-day DHL delivery:

http://www.adventure-spec.com/default/msr-hubba-hubba-hp.html

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 17
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do they make one that a poor man can afford?
 Post Number: 18
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 10 2012, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For my 3-season backpacking, I have already got 99% of my dream tent!  Sorry, but I am a tent guy.  :D

I don't normally share my tent, I crave space, and I also want to carry a light weight.  My beloved 2-person, 2-door, 2-vestibule freestanding dome tent weighs just 2.5 lbs.  It isn't the lightest solo shelter, but it's very light for the space, convenience and comfort that it provides.  It's also extremely easy and fast to set up -- esp. when compared to the time and effort required to set up a tarp / nest or bivy system on a windy  and potentially rainy evening.

And the missing 1%?  The vestibules are a bit on the small side (although certainly more than adequate).  Sometimes, I wish they could extend out just a couple inches more.  But I am quibbling here.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 19
sdsviet Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

maybe a copper spur ul2 made out of cuben fiber and superlight poles? :)
 Post Number: 20
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 7:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been wanting a Lunar Duo for some time now.....

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 21
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Dec. 10 2012, 4:43 pm)

I don't know E, the optional carbine will make it heavier and take the price above $600 I bet. ;-)

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 11:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As you say “dream system” my wish may be just that, a dream.
First I wish that it would be a truly waterproof-breathable single wall. To me that may be the holy grail of tent materials. I have used Epic and Toddtex and had problems with each. NEMO is coming out with a new version of the Nano Elite tent, the original of which was the subject of my very first article for BackpackingLight. While I was underwhelmed by that tent the new one fixes every one of my complaints plus adds a breathable material. It is supposed to come out this winter and while it is not positioned as a winter tent the design looks perfect for it to me as long as there is not major snowfall. (And that is conjecture as I have only seen a press release.)

After spending an entire year full-time in MN I got very sick of wet tents from setting up in the rain. It is the main reason I bought a Hogback for the kids and I. So the new Nano Elite works there too as single-wall interior pole tents keep dry inside.

Maybe the newest version of the Big Sky Revolution would be my dream tent. It is a double-wall but sets up all together keeping the interior dry. (Dave tested one so I am very familiar with it.) Now I see that Bob offers it with a solid inner option. As many here know I have become a huge fan of the highly breathable solid nylons being used now. Mesh is nice but blowing dirt and snow gets old real quick, and the new nylons are almost the same weight per yard.

I wish I could design my own 3+ season tent and have it made without costing a small fortune. That would be a dream come true.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(sdsviet @ Dec. 10 2012, 11:12 pm)
maybe a copper spur ul2 made out of cuben fiber and superlight poles? :)

http://www.thegearcaster.com/the_gea....ts.html

Check out the Cuben Mirage 2P.

--------------
 Post Number: 24
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Dec. 11 2012, 11:39 am)

(eggs @ Dec. 10 2012, 4:43 pm)

I don't know E, the optional carbine will make it heavier and take the price above $600 I bet. ;-)

Nice. Where did you find a AR being used for a center pole. Or are you a photo shop expert also

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As soon as I saw you substituted carbine for carbon I had to find a suitable pic to edit.

Yes I use Photoshop.

You get those tents at REI. Revolutionary Equipment Inc...

--------------
 Post Number: 26
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 4:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Dec. 11 2012, 8:42 am)
I wish I could design my own 3+ season tent and have it made without costing a small fortune. That would be a dream come true.

3D printing -- someday.  :D

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 4:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

" Revolutionary Equipment Inc..."
Lol.
I have a new favorite tent.
Built in bear repellent thanks to the carbine inner.
Plus, the nearest campers are always quieter.
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Dec. 11 2012, 11:42 am)
As you say “dream system” my wish may be just that, a dream.
First I wish that it would be a truly waterproof-breathable single wall. To me that may be the holy grail of tent materials. I have used Epic and Toddtex and had problems with each. NEMO is coming out with a new version of the Nano Elite tent, the original of which was the subject of my very first article for BackpackingLight.

What did you think of the Nemo Obi Elite?  How about the 10D material?  I didn't think I wanted a poled tent but I'm intrigued by that tent.

I'm looking to replace my Hubba Hubba, at least for backpacking.  It's strictly to save weight.  I love that tent otherwise, so I'm having a hard time deciding. I'd like to save at least 2lb (i.e. 1lb each) to make it worthwhile.

Anyway, still tossing around possibilities...

--------------
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was pretty impressed by it as a solo shelter. The design is a better than the Big Agnes Fly Creek which it resembles. I think you just saw pics of it without the fly on right? Here is one buttoned up on a rainy day.

By the way I pulled up my notes. The actual total weight with everything included was 2 lb 11.5 oz.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 30
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 6:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do they make one that a poor man can afford?

We're all rich in this thread...let loose man!!

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
51 replies since Dec. 10 2012, 1:41 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Your "dream" 2-person shelter?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions