2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tarp Info and Help!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 4:19 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So, I just picked up this Pacific Outdoor WX TEX S2 8.5X10.5 tarp. It is a discontinued item and I couldn't find much info on it and was wondering what is a good method to ensure it's waterproof capabilities? What product would be best to spray on?

Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 5:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Before doing that, I would set it up in something simple like an A-Frame and then hit it with a water hose. Be sure to get the ridgeline, or any seams good. If you can you can get someone else to do the hosing while you are under it... then figure out if it needs any sealing.

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 6:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely do that. If it does need any sealing, what would you recommend?
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You could thin silicone caulking with mineral spirits, and brush it on with a foam cheap brush.  Do both sides.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 1:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know this may sound dumb to some but, sorry for being a newbie! Does it hurt the integrity of the tarp by just cramming it into the stuff sack or should I try and fold it first?
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 2:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TWinAlbany @ Dec. 11 2012, 10:51 pm)
I know this may sound dumb to some but, sorry for being a newbie! Does it hurt the integrity of the tarp by just cramming it into the stuff sack or should I try and fold it first?

Not dumb...Numerous threads about it. It gets asked all the time. You might save a little space by folding first but in regards to damage...No. I have not seen any significant wear by folding or stuffing.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 2:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

what is a good method to ensure it's waterproof capabilities?
pitch it outside on a rainy day...
The hose test is not all that realistic because you either have too much pressure and  or don't give it enough time to wet out/relax or whatever that  fabric does after a few hours of rain.

What product would be best to spray on?
IF it fails the test, get the Atsko Silicone Water Guard or the similar McNett Thundershiel Silicone Waterproofing.
Read the directions (IE don't spray too close)
easier and cheapper than buying silicone/thinner and mixing it.

I prefer to fold and roll.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 12:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very much appreciate the responses and suggestions. Just want to make this tarp last for a good while. Took it out yesterday and looked it over real good. Like the size and quality. Re-enforced grommet areas and good tie outs. Not silnylon but, will work real well for my uses. Thanks again. :)
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 1:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone run a ridge line between their trekking poles when setting up or just use the poles in the grommets?
 Post Number: 10
gregpphoto Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TWinAlbany @ Dec. 12 2012, 1:32 pm)
Does anyone run a ridge line between their trekking poles when setting up or just use the poles in the grommets?

Hm, maybe im doing things backwards. I only run the ridgeline, which on hard ground where you cant drive the poles in very deep, is a pain in the butt. what do you mean by putting the poles in the grommet? my tarp actually has no grommets., just looped attachment points.
 Post Number: 11
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nope, just set it up with the poles in the grommets or loops.

I personally don't run a line even when I'm setting a tarp between trees.  I tie off the tarp at each end from the grommet/loop to the tree.  I get just as taut a pitch and don't need to carry all that extra line.

A sprinkler works well in simulating rain.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 12
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 11:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I find I get a nicer pitch if I do, but sometimes don't carry that much line.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was just curious if anyone did this or not. My tarp came with an extra piece of line that is the perfect length to run as a ridge line and I was thinking that was probably what it was used for. Thanks again!
12 replies since Dec. 11 2012, 4:19 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tarp Info and Help!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions