2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New product on the market, Worth checking out...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 8:00 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://headboy.org/drybath/

http://blog.ted.com/2012....ut-soap

A bath without water. Worthwhile I thinks....

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It kills micro-organisms but slathering all over the largest organ of the human body won't cause an "oops"?

The germicidal action makes me a tad cautious. But for occasional back country use or in the disease area target markets where potable water is beyond precious I can see the benefits outweighing a certain amount of risk.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 8:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.goldbondultimate.com/hand-sanitizer-moisturizer.html

What's new about it? ;-)

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 4
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nobody else just carry cleansing wipes?
Kleenex face and body wipes work great for me...
 Post Number: 5
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 9:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ray you need to read the blurb.
" It is a proprietary blend of a biocide, bioflavonoids and moisturisers'
Your hand sanitizer may have "Phospholipid Complex " but I don't see no bioflavonoids nor biocides , do you ?

BTW, the prefix BIO stands for life , the suffix CIDE denotes "to kill/murder" so does that product contain stuff that kills your largest organ ?
I need to go and  stroke my Wurlitzer to see if it is still working.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 11 2012, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh it's far better than that? The Material Safety Data Sheet warns that for skin contact with the active ingredient in Ray's stuff?

Benzethonium chloride?

Seek immediate medical attention

Best ever. :)

"Skin: Get medical aid. Flush skin with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes while removing contaminated clothing and shoes. Wash clothing before reuse"

http://www.fishersci.in/msds/BenzethoniumChloride.pdf

That entire flushing with water for fifteen minutes thing would appear to maybe negate the teensiest bit the whole "waterless" aspect? But that could just be me.

A second opinion.
"Skin Contact:
In case of contact, immediately flush skin with plenty of water. Cover the irritated skin with an emollient. Remove contaminated clothing and shoes. Cold water may be used.Wash clothing before reuse. Thoroughly clean shoes before reuse. Get medical attention.
Serious Skin Contact:
Wash with a disinfectant soap and cover the contaminated skin with an anti-bacterial cream. Seek immediate medical attention."
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 12:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Dec. 11 2012, 8:52 pm)

I think quite a few of us do.  Wipes are especially nice in the desert.  I don't like to spend any water on washing.
 Post Number: 8
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 12 2012, 12:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 11 2012, 9:02 pm)

(treelinebackpacker @ Dec. 11 2012, 8:52 pm)

I think quite a few of us do.  Wipes are especially nice in the desert.  I don't like to spend any water on washing.

+1.

At home, regular washing with plenty of soap and water.  No deodorant, nothing specifically antibacterial and definitely no hand sanitizers.

On the trail, anti-bacterial wipes plus hand sanitizing after doing business.   :;):

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 9
gregpphoto Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So is it for wimps or little girls?
 Post Number: 10
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 10:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gregpphoto @ Dec. 13 2012, 7:28 am)

It's sanitation. I would assume it's for both.

--------------
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 13 2012, 10:31 am)

Ah. I forgot that thousands of years ago, on the plains of Africa, man walked upright (with his loofa)..
 Post Number: 12
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gregpphoto @ Dec. 13 2012, 7:58 am)

Ah. I forgot that thousands of years ago, on the plains of Africa, man walked upright (with his loofa)..

I'm pretty sure it has to do with disease control which has been an issue in some areas - not about looking or smelling pretty.

http://www.wimp.com/bathwithout/

--------------
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 13 2012, 12:11 pm)

I'm pretty sure it has to do with disease control which has been an issue in some areas - not about looking or smelling pretty.

Is the fact that the web address starts with "wimp" a coincidence?  :D

I would wholeheartedly agree with the suggested usage in regards to sanitation, especially in highly densely populated areas. But in the woods? Whats next, dehydrated deoderant?
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:11 am)

and thousands of years ago people lived to be somewhere around 25-30 on average.

Which appears to be the originators target where that sort of mortality still exists due to potable water shortages and one of the consequences of that shortage, increased decease and mortality.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ben2World @ Dec. 12 2012, 12:30 am)
[quote=big_load,Dec. 11 2012, 9:02 pm]
On the trail, anti-bacterial wipes plus hand sanitizing after doing business.   :;):

When I was growing up I practiced not shitting on my hands. Now that Im all grown up, Im a pro.
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Odds are good a test swipe and culture of your hands would disappoint you in your achievement of that goal.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 13 2012, 12:15 pm)

(Tigger @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:11 am)

and thousands of years ago people lived to be somewhere around 25-30 on average.

Which appears to be the originators target where that sort of mortality still exists due to potable water shortages and one of the consequences of that shortage, increased decease and mortality.

You do realize that the whole "man used to only live till 30" idea is extremely flawed in that it does not account for an incredibly high infant mortality rate. Drop that segment out and your average life expectancy would be much greater.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Infant mortality from disease is STILL human deaths. And deaths from infections of adults who incur minor cuts and abrasions isn't insignificant either.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 13 2012, 12:18 pm)
Odds are good a test swipe and culture of your hands would disappoint you in your achievement of that goal.

Ill make you a bet. Ill go poop, wipe, wont wash, and will lick my fingers. Odds are I dont get sick. If the odds were that good that I would get sick, I doubt man would have made is thus far. What do you think we did before we invented soap? Lived in a bubble?
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of course you won't get sick! They're YOUR intestinal flora.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Died by thirty...

--------------
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 13 2012, 12:20 pm)
Infant mortality from disease is STILL human deaths. And deaths from infections of adults who incur minor cuts and abrasions isn't insignificant either.

#1 youre not a human till youre on facebook. #2 its called an anti-septic. Nature gives us lots of em. Shpagnum, honey, eucalyptus, tea tree oil.. shall I continue?
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 13 2012, 12:21 pm)
Of course you won't get sick! They're YOUR intestinal flora.

So youre saying I could eat my own poop and be fine? I gotta try this..
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, OK.

--------------
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gregpphoto @ Dec. 13 2012, 9:23 am)

#1 youre not a human till youre on facebook. #2 its called an anti-septic. Nature gives us lots of em. Shpagnum, honey, eucalyptus, tea tree oil.. shall I continue?

Remember to wash thoroughly after unwadding those panties. Just to be prudent for the next person whose hand you shake if nothing else. :)
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 13 2012, 12:26 pm)

Remember to wash thoroughly after unwadding those panties. Just to be prudent for the next person whose hand you shake if nothing else. :)

Ahh, the troll in defeat. What a splendid sight, ignoring the information posted due to a deformed neocortex. Bravo!

I gotcha with the natural anti septics huh?

PS I dont wear panties anymore, I go commando.
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What information? A random list of supposed agents? Things some may or may not have used at some point in time or not?

Yeah sure.

Numbering things adds credulity in your world?

Good one.

Oh and bon a petit!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprophagia
 Post Number: 28

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 13 2012, 12:33 pm)
What information? A random list of supposed agents? Things some may or may not have used at some point in time or not?

Yeah sure.

Numbering things adds credulity in your world?

Good one.

Oh and bon a petit!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coprophagia

Supposed? Honey and Sphagnum in particular are well known to have anti-septic properties. This isnt up for argument, its just a fact. People like you are the problem in this world. When youre cornered, when other people come up with substantiated PROOF, you merely resort to trolling. Its dumb.

"Much scientific research has been done, with emphasis of late on fighting infections in wounds.[68] The antibacterial mechanisms known to date are H2O2, methylglyoxal(MGO), bee defensin-1, the osmotic effect and the pH."

Source: http://dare.uva.nl/document/175222
 Post Number: 29
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(gregpphoto @ Dec. 13 2012, 12:28 pm)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 13 2012, 12:26 pm)

Ahh, the troll in defeat. What a splendid sight, ignoring the information posted due to a deformed neocortex. Bravo!

I gotcha with the natural anti septics huh?

PS I dont wear panties anymore, I go commando.

Haha, you're calling HSF a troll, after the display you just put on in this thread? See: definition of irony.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 12:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well known now by some people. Which isn't much of an argument for infectious disease prevention and related mortality centuries and millennia ago which was the subject. YOUR subject as I recall.
"I forgot that thousands of years ago, on the plains of Africa..."

Again how is that "list" proof of anything? You made NO argument (okay it was impressively numbered) other than a "list" that dismissed infants as not human (Facebook? Talk about dumb eh?) as well as some items with nothing relating that to ancient usage and mortality.

Then there is the observed fact that infectious disease is still a challenge in areas such as the ones the products originators are trying to address. Maybe they just need larger shipments of Honey?. Moss could be airdropped, at least when dry....
44 replies since Dec. 11 2012, 8:00 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New product on the market
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions