2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: REI return, Is this right?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 2:51 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

REI return is a little misleading, actually was an upgrade. I was standing in line behind a guy who was returning a Big Agnes pad and mountain hardwear jacket.  I overheard him tell the sales clerk he purchased them about two years ago.  The clerk looked it up using the guy's membership and after several minutes found the purchase had been made back in 2008.  The customer apologized for the confusion and told the clerk they were fine it was just time to UPGRADE.  The clerk actually told him if he actually got his monies worth out of the product after four years he should consider not returning them.  The guy proceeded to get his 250.00 credit and started shopping. I understand the no hassle return policy but I thought this was completely wrong to do.  Does anyone else think this is wrong??  I guess no hassle is no hassle.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I consider that an abuse of the policy.
 Post Number: 3
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 2:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd also consider it an abuse of the policy.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 4
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 2:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 13 2012, 12:54 pm)

+1  (+2, I guess)
Pretty blatant abuse.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 3:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 13 2012, 2:54 pm)

+1

It's a generous policy, and works great when you sincerely need to use it, but yeah "upgrading" isn't exactly a great reason in my book.  In some ways I wish they would refuse returns to folks blatantly stating there's nothing wrong and got 4 years of use out of it...

I was behind someone with a similar story, they were returning a car rack because they bought a new car, and it wouldn't fit anymore, and I quote, "Rather than sell it on eBay I thought you guys could just sell it at the garage sale".  The sales associate did say the return policy is not meant to cover a new car that no longer works with the system he bought 3 years ago, but gave him a refund anyway...

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another vote for abuse.
 Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 3:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Absolutely an example of abuse.  Sounds like nothing was actually wrong with the gear.  REI is pretty generous with returns but accepting BS like this too many times could well force them to change their return policy to the detriment of us all.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8
TWinAlbany Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 3:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another +1. They should have refused the return as there was no issue with product or satisfaction of the customer.
 Post Number: 9
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 on that. I've seen this happen too at REI. I'm afraid eventually they will change their return policy.
 Post Number: 10
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 5:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know he sounds like he was not completely satisfied with the older gear which would fall under the 100% satisfaction guarantee.

He clearly would be more satisfied with new gear.

REI allowed him to become 100% satisfied again. Win win

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 11
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

He probably bought more than the refund.
REI puts it in the yard sale and then other REI members buy it.

REI gets 2 happy customers who will buy more later. Short term, loss. Over the long term, I imagine they will more than get their money back.
 Post Number: 12
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If REI return policy stats that they accept a return if you are not satisfied with your purchase at any time.  If REI doesn't want to accept returns from people who become unsatisfied at any time they can just change their policy for future sales.

This is totally in REI's control.  Why lay blame on the customer?
 Post Number: 13
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(nogods @ Dec. 13 2012, 5:15 pm)
If REI return policy stats that they accept a return if you are not satisfied with your purchase at any time.  If REI doesn't want to accept returns from people who become unsatisfied at any time they can just change their policy for future sales.

I don't necessarily disagree with that.  It is their policy, and they must honor it (which they do).  Perhaps, though, for customers truly "upgrading" there could be a scaled %, you get back based on age?  It would seem fair...

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

" told the clerk they were fine it was just time to UPGRADE. "

I don't read dissatisfaction there, just a calendar reference.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 5:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I read somewhere they're reviewing their current return policy (can't remember where).  He had no complaints  about the product, simply wanted to upgrade.  I don't blame the customer, REI allows it.  If possible I'm  sure they would  like to cut down on this type of abuse.
 Post Number: 16
kimble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A friend of mine works @ an REI in NC, either Raleigh or Durham, I can't remember.  Anyway, he said that they were starting to move towards inquiring about why exactly a customer wanted to return something, the idea being that they simply can't accept a return on something based on a customer's whims.  If the gear failed, fine.  But returning 10-year old heavily used hiking boots because the tread had worn thin is not acceptable - sounds like this is actually attempted somewhat frequently.
 Post Number: 17
damnedjose Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 6:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1

the customer is actually just taking rei at its word. literally. rei seems like a very, very healthy company, and i assume their return policy has been in place a long time. seem to be doing very well with it. figure they get a lot of business simply due to that policy, and how clear it is.
 Post Number: 18
justwalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 7:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're half right.  Yes, REI has control over its return policy (which is being revised - stay tuned).

You're wrong about not blaming the customer.  The gradual moral decline over the decades escapes the notice of some, but it is there.  There was no need for policy revision in 1970, but there is now.  The only reason for such change is the change in the customers themselves.  They are less honest (in general) and some apparently don't have a conscience.  

Yes, I do blame the customer.

The abuses don't just effect REI, but it's members.  As a 38 year co-op member I'm not happy with that small minority of abusive customers.  They may be a small minority, but they've been growing over the years.  Enough is enough.  I expressed my opinion to REI a few years ago about this and I imagine others have as well.  It's time for a change in policy.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 19
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Honestly, I'd be fine if REI modifies their return policy to not accept returns for pathetic excuses like this.  They could still call it "Satisfaction Guaranteed", since this customer was clearly satisfied, but simply thought it was "time for an upgrade."  Maybe, "Satisfaction Guaranteed, But Bullsh!+ No Longer Guaranteed."

Of course, all that will really do is cause the most blatant abusers to be more creative with their return excuses.

I'd be fine with a cap on the time too.  Say, if it doesn't fail you within the first two years, you got your money's worth already, no returning it after that.  Or something like that.

I'm just rambling here.  I'm have zero info about whether this is what REI is leaning towards or not.

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 20
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 7:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would say, if it ever fails, that's warrant for return if you feel like it shouldn't have failed.
However, I would think a one year return without defect is pretty generous. By then, you know if you like the product or not.
This would cut down on most of the BS.
The idea of the return is you can trust their gear, and they'll stand by it. This would still reflect that, while cutting down on the upgrades.
 Post Number: 21
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 7:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(justwalkin @ Dec. 13 2012, 7:16 pm)
The gradual moral decline over the decades escapes the notice of some, but it is there.  There was no need for policy revision in 1970, but there is now.  The only reason for such change is the change in the customers themselves.  They are less honest (in general) and some apparently don't have a conscience.  

That may be the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time.  This policy was abused in the 70s too.  This idea that people were better back in the day is sentimental BS.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 22
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Dec. 13 2012, 5:03 pm)
I don't know he sounds like he was not completely satisfied with the older gear which would fall under the 100% satisfaction guarantee.

So if I buy a cheap synthetic jacket today and 10 years later decide I want big puffy goose down, they should refund my original purchase?

C'mon, be reasonable.

Abuse.
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(reubenstump @ Dec. 13 2012, 7:58 pm)

(eggs @ Dec. 13 2012, 5:03 pm)

So if I buy a cheap synthetic jacket today and 10 years later decide I want big puffy goose down, they should refund my original purchase?

C'mon, be reasonable.

Abuse.

If they advertise a 100% satisfaction guarantee and a return at anytime, then it is not abuse, it is merely taking them up on their word.

I might have some sympathy for REI if they were forced by state or federal law to have such a liberal policy.  Then we might say people are abusing the letter of the law rather than the spirit.

But the return policy is REI's.  If they are being abused by it then they are abusing themselves.  

They could go blind from that, but that's their choice.
 Post Number: 24
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was recently at a garage sale and while looking at shoes, found a pair of Keens that had been owned and clearly worn over the 4 years the guy owned them. They were returned with the excuse that they showed excessive wear. Well no sht...they were 4 years old. But there they were for sale in the garage sale. On the same token, I picked up a nearly brand new pair of Keens that were claimed to have been worn once (and I believe it) with the complaint that they hurt the wearers feet. Got them for $10.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Fatpacking @ Dec. 13 2012, 8:12 pm)
I was recently at a garage sale and while looking at shoes, found a pair of Keens that had been owned and clearly worn over the 4 years the guy owned them. They were returned with the excuse that they showed excessive wear. Well no sht...they were 4 years old. But there they were for sale in the garage sale. On the same token, I picked up a nearly brand new pair of Keens that were claimed to have been worn once (and I believe it) with the complaint that they hurt the wearers feet. Got them for $10.

I wonder if the stated reasons are the real ones, or if instead REI hires Dick DeBartolo to write them.  At those garage sales do you see a lot of stuff tagged with just "customer not satisfied" or does it all have stories attached?
 Post Number: 26
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Down here, the term for that is, "low rent trash".  Abusive.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Dec. 13 2012, 7:51 pm)
some apparently don't have a conscience.  [/quote]
That may be the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time.  This policy was abused in the 70s too.  This idea that people were better back in the day is sentimental BS.

You are wrong of course.  Simple logic will tell you that if REI had no inkling of changing it's policy 40 years ago and now believes it to be a necessity then the customer part of the equation has morphed for the worse.

--------------
If a day in the mountains is better than a week at work, why aren't I working in the mountains?
 Post Number: 28
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 8:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're wrong about not blaming the customer.  The gradual moral decline over the decades escapes the notice of some, but it is there.  There was no need for policy revision in 1970, but there is now.  The only reason for such change is the change in the customers themselves.  They are less honest (in general) and some apparently don't have a conscience.  

On that note:
I was shopping at REI in 1970, happily.  
My satisfaction went down over the years as the quality of the gear went down.  Maybe it was due to outsourcing, maybe not, but probably.
My morality is still intact but I have returned almost one quarter of the items I've bought at REI due to quality issues. I would probably have returned more but I live 90 miles from a store and return postage is too expensive.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Dec. 13 2012, 8:52 pm)

On that note:
I was shopping at REI in 1970, happily.  
My satisfaction went down over the years as the quality of the gear went down.  Maybe it was due to outsourcing, maybe not, but probably.
My morality is still intact but I have returned almost one quarter of the items I've bought at REI due to quality issues. I would probably have returned more but I live 90 miles from a store and return postage is too expensive.

You have a very legitimate point that I agree with.  I also don't have much tolerance for junk.  I try earnestly to do my homework to minimize my purchase of junk, but some still gets by.

That doesn't explain the unending tales of REI returns for worn out items, bike racks and roof racks from traded in cars, strollers for infants that now walk, childrens' clothing that they grew out of, etc., etc., etc.

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 9:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sales clerk told me a story about someone who came in and after wearing a shirt for two years needed to exchange it. Why?  They needed a bigger size.  Not unsatisfied with the product they just ate too many doughnuts.
32 replies since Dec. 13 2012, 2:51 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply REI return
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions