2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Optimus - Crux v Crux Lite< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 13 2012, 7:41 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Folding or not?  3oz or 2.5oz?  Does anyone really use the bag and put the Crux under a canister?  Is the folding feature truly handy for space, less probability of damage, or anything else?  Or is it just neat but useless?

How well does the simmer feature work?

I'm thinking about purchasing the folding version (Crux), but mostly for compactness.  What am I missing?  School me.

Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 7:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought one from an LL Bean Outlet Center.

I used it on two trips.  The stove did indeed fit nicely under the canister inside the little bag.  I was worried about jamming it in at first but it was well designed and I had no issues.  As far as weight savings, no big deal over my standard stove but it did save space...I really liked the set up but it would not stay lit under less than 3/4 to full power. Mine must have been an early model, returned to Bean because of this.  There were lots of complaints abut this

The later models are supposedly fixed.  I'll probably grab another when I find them on sale

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 3
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 8:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a few stoves that don't fold and the folding Crux. I like the compactness of the folding stove. Works fine for me to simmer my morning Ramon noodles.

I don't use mine any longer moving to Alcohol. I'd be happy to sell it for like $20 if you want. PM me

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 10:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Satisfied Crux owner here.  I bought mine fairly recently, and so far it does not appear to have any problems staying lit.  I also use the bag that comes with it.  I nestle the stove under the canister, which nestles quite nicely in my pot.  I haven't owned long enough to comment on durability.

For me, I decided a few extra ounces were worth the compactness.

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice.   ???
 Post Number: 5
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 17 2012, 6:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

wcolucci - Never heard of the power issue.  Any idea when the problem was fixed?  I'm guessing you didn't get a replacement later.  Thanks.

eggs - sent you a PM.

Eastie - thanks for the reply.
 Post Number: 6
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 3:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fixed over a year ago.  They were pretty good about replacing under warranty but I bought mine from Bean and just returned it there...they were probably selling an old one someone else had returned

Sounds like Eggs is a good one

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 7
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 11:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have used the folding since it came out.  No low flame problems.  Store it under the canister all the time.  Works great for me at altitude, cold and hot weather.  Don't like alcohol because of the hassle.  Easy to adjuster your size of canister for your hike.

For $20 I'd buy another.
6 replies since Dec. 13 2012, 7:41 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Optimus - Crux v Crux Lite
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions