2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Gear Repair, How to fix a hole in jacket?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Dabrador Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 1:02 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got a Marmot Driclime Windshirt. Was sitting around a campfire during a winter trip and had an ember land on the sleeve near the cuff. It burned a clean hole through the outer fabric but did not harm the inner lining.

I tried patching the hole with a Sil Fix repair kit from McNett. Because the hole is very close to the cuff, there's a lot of stretching in that area and as a result, the patch always starts to flake off.

Any suggestions on repairing this? I'm thinking of sending it back to Marmot in hopes that they would replace the entire panel of fabric where the hole is.

Any other suggestions? Thanks all.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tenacious Tape, probably clear unless one of the colors is a match.

Use a BIG patch for maximum grip area.

http://www.mcnett.com/Tenacious-Tape-Repair-Tape-P139.aspx
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 18 2012, 1:14 pm)
Tenacious Tape, probably clear unless one of the colors is a match.

Use a BIG patch for maximum grip area.

http://www.mcnett.com/Tenacious-Tape-Repair-Tape-P139.aspx

+1 on the Tenacious Tape and maybe a very light coat of seam sealer under it. I did that to a Marmot Preccip jacket that had a small burn hole in it and it's lasted thru several rains and a couple years now.
 Post Number: 4
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently got a hole in a Patagonia jacket.  They have an online form to fill out for repairs, including what you'd like if they can't repair it.  Check with Marmot - maybe they have something similar.
 Post Number: 5
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

tenacious tape is good stuff.  I have used it with success, too.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 6:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Main thing with tape is rounding the corners if the patch isn't circular so there are no small "points" to be easily peeled up. I also make sure the target location is dead flat with zero wrinkles, backed up with something hard I can push against to get a good, even seal.
 Post Number: 7
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Did your jacket come with a stuff sack / internal pocket -- that's usually of the same exact material and color?  If you don't use the sack or pocket, you can cut out too rounded pieces -- a bit bigger than the hole all around -- then apply silnet and patch from both sides.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 8
Dabrador Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for all the feedback. Here's the problem that I'm having...

I can't get to the 'back' of the hole since it didn't burn through the inner fabric. In addition, because it's so close to the cuff and the cuff has elastic, it's impossible to keep the fabric flat to apply any sort of tape.

That's why I'm thinking of asking Marmot if they will replace the entire panel of fabric where the hole is. Not sure how cost effective that is though.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 9:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stretch the cuff over some sort of tube or something to temporarily get the area flat?
 Post Number: 10
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fold the patch that is to go on the inside and insert it into the hole, under the fabric outer.  Then apply a good glue and put the other patch on top of the area to be patched.  Clamp or weight the area until the patch is complete.  

Yeah, but first I would see what Marmot is willing to do.

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 18 2012, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Subject to a lot of flexing is what sewn patches do best as the stitching isn't subject to the same issues as adhesive . Take a bit of skill with uneven fabric but I expect a tailor shop could do it.

Back in the day I'd sew ski resort patches to my parka and I only needed "outside" access. After sewing the sleeve shut that one time I got pretty good at it. It was an insulated parka so i couldn't get to the "back" of the outside fabric but sewing from just the outside did fine and given all the crashing i did the patches were plenty tested. I had one patch sewn professionally onto a sleeping bag of mine (damn high elevation UV) and again that meant only one sided access and the thing is a work of art. Nice, really tight small stitches.

So depending on what Marmot says maybe swing it by a tailor shop? Marmot ripping all the seams from the panel and reassembling the jacket is terribly unlikely to my view.
 Post Number: 12
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 19 2012, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I doubt if Marmot would replace a panel for you without it costing quite a bit considering it wouldn't be covered under warranty.
 Post Number: 13
rhodges Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 9:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Same thing happened to my patagonia down seater recently, first time out with it too. Try clear fingernail polish , it worked form me.
 Post Number: 14
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 20 2012, 11:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

For me, I always use needle and thread to fix holes in lightweight fabrics.  There are blind stitches you can sew from the face side.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
13 replies since Dec. 18 2012, 1:02 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Gear Repair
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions