2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Survival Situations, How about you?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 12:47 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An earlier thread on carrying emergency shelter  prompted me to wonder how many of us have ever found ourselves, for whatever reason, in a truly survival situation.  It's happned to me only once.  On what was supposed to be an easy day hike in late summer across the Red Lodge plateau in the Beartooths at 10,000+ feet, I was caught in a total white out with temps in the low 30s. I foolishly set down my day pack to take a look around and then couldn't find it. It had my extra clothes, flashlight, map, compass, food and water in it.  I became totally disorientated and to make a long story short, I spent a very long and uncomfortable night under a large spruce tree.  The next morning I awoke to 4 inches of snow.  I was able to make my way down the mountain side to some cabins to discover that I was nearly 30 miles by road, from where I wanted to be.  Fortunately, under the spruce tree I was able to stay dry and relatively warm.  I survived but it could have been a disaster since I was totally unprepared and conditions for hypothermia were ideal. What's worse, no one knew where I was. That's the last time I ventured into the mountains unprepared to spend the night even if only on a day hike.

What's your experience been?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 23 2012, 10:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hikerjer, did you find your pack the next day?

I was in a near-survival situation once but was too young and dumb to realize it. I set out with three-season equipment in April. It was so hot I shed clothing on the way up and actually left a jacket hanging on a tree limb. There was no snow at the bottom. The last mile I was slogging up a steep trail through four feet of snow without snowshoes. Arriving at about 4500 feet (that's reasonably high in the East) after dark, exhausted, I found 6 feet of snow on top of the mountain. I remember shivering uncontrollably the entire night. I'm guessing the temperature was around 20 and I probably had a 40F sleeping bag and inadequate clothing.

I'm sure many others have more spectacular stories, but the point is that I thought I was "just damn cold" when I was probably at risk of hypothermia, I just didn't realize it.

One important key to my story is that I was influenced by my backpacking partner to go beyond the limits of my equipment and also my endurance. My main problems in the outdoors have always been related to other people. I've never gotten into serious trouble by myself . . .

. . . Except for one time in a kayak in very cold water (December), remote marshy location. My kayak got wedged tightly sideways between two stream banks in a strong current. Sheer idiocy. Don't paddle up a stream that's narrower than your kayak.
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 12:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I suppose I've been in "Survival" situations a few times but I've always survived so I've never really thought of them that way. These days, almost every hike could be a survival situation as we push ourselves in weather and terrain. However, being prepared and planning makes the difference.

When I was younger....different story. I had one or two when I first started out that were less survival and more simply "not prepared" or "inexperienced and getting in over my head". That's the main reason I joined this forum in the first place. Nothing like being lost after throwing out your food and other supplies, wandering through the woods trying to find civilization and hunger gnawing away at you, or being in cotton sweats sloshing through a creek away from your shelter in the middle of a night with one flashlight shared between two guys when it turns to sleet and you're wearing those cheap ponchos that fall apart if you look at them wrong to huddle at a campground you hike to that is closed with nobody around and try and build a fire when you don't have a lighter or a match...Great times.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
george of the j Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 2:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been lucky and never got into a jam that would be considered a survival situation when I was younger.

---George
 Post Number: 5
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 9:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had several "Oh $@!#" moments, but nothing I'd consider a survival situation.

OTOH, I just watched Endurance, about Shackleton's famous shipwreck. Now THAT was survival!

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 6
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

while i never thought of it as a survival situation, i was caught in a white-out on the summit of Mt. Washington (New Hampshire) on new year's day, a long time ago. - i was 19 years old.   It was very cold, and the wind was driving and kicking up snow and ice, and wiping out the trail we broke on the way up.  I was with several other people, and we were all pretty well-geared for winter conditions in the northeast...for the most part.  

we ended up picking and crawling our way down to the treeline, which took what felt like forever, then found the trail down to our camp.   because we were out for so many hours more than expected, and it was colder than i anticipated, and because i had hauled the straps of my ill-fitting borrowed crampons very tight so they wouldn't fall off, a couple of my toes on one foot were frost-nipped by the time we were done.  they warmed up (painfully) after i drank a lot of hot tea and parked my foot under a friend's jacket, next to his torso, for about 45 minutes.   mutual embarrassment and discomfort more or less evaporates when you're afraid of permanent damage.  

needless to day, i'm better prepared for that kind of situation today than i was nearly 30 years ago.
 Post Number: 7
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 24 2012, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I spose I had a few misadventures when young. I started out on my own, knowing nothing, and with cheap gear. I lived.  
Long ago , I read, the difference in life or death or maybe being comfortable or miserable is in the details, the little things. Think, prepare, and don't do something stupid and you will probably make it.
 Post Number: 8
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jeez Lead Belly, I would certainly call that a survival situation.
 Post Number: 9
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Nope, can't say that I was ever in a survival-type situation when I was younger. But wouldn't be surprised if it were to happen when I was older...!! :cool:
 Post Number: 10
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 5:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess they could of been near death situations but her Dad didn't, oh never mind
 Post Number: 11
City Man Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just part of living life, or just the foolish way I look at the near misses of bad fate I have been lucky to look back on as little adventures in living. Though it does teach those that make it to be a little more prepared, or not on their next adventure.

--------------
It never hurts to do good – Eek the Cat

The quest for adventure is a never ending pursuit, an all consuming way to live life, it is a deep feeling that will never go away, embrace that feeling and have fun with your adventures.
 Post Number: 12
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 8:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never been in a survival situation.  I have been to Beartooth Pass but had great weather.  The truth is much of my hiking is in MI and the close by states.  The weather is just not that unpredictable like it can be in the mountains.  For places where the weather can be unpredictable I usually plan trips when bad weather is unlikely.  Of course so does everyone else so I miss the solitude these places can give in the off season.
 Post Number: 13
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(City Man @ Dec. 26 2012, 6:09 pm)
as little adventures in living.

Quaint way of putting things. :)  How's that saying go?  "Adventures are the result of being unprepared.  When you are prepared, you have experiences."

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 14
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 8:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Every day is a survival situation

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 15
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 2:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been lost a few times (as recently as this summer),  and have had to spend the night out but luckily never jettisoned my backpack like a lot of SAR's say panicked folks do.

I would kind of like to test my mettle tho.....but w/a family I guess that is pretty selfish thinking

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
14 replies since Dec. 23 2012, 12:47 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Survival Situations
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions