2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Snowpeak stove with other brand fuel?, Ok?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 10:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a new Snowpeak Gigapower (thanks santa!).
I had assumed mixing stove brands and fuel brand would be fine (I always have with MSR/Brunton Stoves and jetboil fuel) but the manual implies there is an issue here.
They claim there are different valve configurations and pin lenghts that could cause leaks or fires.
Is this really an issue or just legal protection just in case? Anyone else tested these on other brands?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 25 2012, 11:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used MSR, Jetboil, and several other canister types with no problems.  I've never noticed any fit difficulties or leakage.
 Post Number: 3
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 6:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

They all use the same Lindal valves and most canisters are made in the same factory and just "branded".

Any of them with a Lindal valve will work fine.

http://www.lindalgroup.com/products/products/product/article/b188.html

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 7:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Snowpeak Gigapower also and have used it for the past couple years with nothing but MSR fuel and have had no problems whatsoever.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 9:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info.
I didn't think it would cause any problems, but safety first. The last thing I need is an exploding stove.
Off to boil some water :)
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 2:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You'll love your Snowpeak Gigapower. You'll apprreciate the extra stability with having the extra 4th pot support.
 Post Number: 7
theosus Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 10:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I LOVE my gigapower.... I tried the cat-food-can stove and a home made cone, but after three trips, I switched back. Screw the weight difference, I want my gigapower. I used coleman fuel cans my first few trips, then switched over to the smaller gigafuel or whatever they call it. The small can fits my 700ml snow peak mug. The only bad thing about the cans is I'm never sure if they will last the trip. I have several half-used ones for that reason, but I keep them around in case the power goes out, or if I want to test recipes at home before hitting the trail, so they come in useful eventually.

--------------
The flamethrower is proof positive that sometime, somewhere, someone once said, "You, know, I'd really like to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
My Blog
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 11:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It really does seem like a quality stove. I passed up the more popular pocket and micro rockets due to the instability of the stands.
Can't wait to really give it a field test. I've played with it, but haven't actually taken it on a trip just yet. Can't wait.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 12:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(theosus @ Dec. 28 2012, 10:44 pm)
I LOVE my gigapower.... I tried the cat-food-can stove and a home made cone, but after three trips, I switched back. Screw the weight difference, I want my gigapower. I used coleman fuel cans my first few trips, then switched over to the smaller gigafuel or whatever they call it. The small can fits my 700ml snow peak mug. The only bad thing about the cans is I'm never sure if they will last the trip. I have several half-used ones for that reason, but I keep them around in case the power goes out, or if I want to test recipes at home before hitting the trail, so they come in useful eventually.

To keep track of how much fuel you have left approximately I mark on the can with a marker how many meals I have done with it as all I usually do is boil water.  That way I know how many more boils I can get off a cannister.
8 replies since Dec. 25 2012, 10:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Snowpeak stove with other brand fuel?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions