2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sleeping bag opinions< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Fester Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 12:42 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This one may be a can of worms, but I would like some opinions, so here goes. . . . .

I am just getting into hiking, buying some gear here and there, working out to get in better shape, ect. . . and I made the mistake of looking at sleeping bags the other day, oppps ! Lol

Here is my question, I am a big boy at 6'2" tall, 290 lbs (right now, working on that) 40" waist and 54" chest, I am a stomach sleeper, with one knee bent as a kickstand ( as my wife describes it).

I am looking for a three season ( at most) bag, as most all of my hiking / camping will be from late April to late August in the Grand Canyon and Rocky Mountain National Park areas, maybe Yellowstone too.

Because of how I sleep, I do not think a mummy bag will work, but if someone knows of one that will work for me, please speak up! Other ideas?

The back pack I am looking at is a Kelty Trekker 65 full frame, as I like the ability to lash stuff to the frame, giving me more room, so to speak. The tent I bought is a Mountain Hardwear Drifter 2 Person tent, and will be used by just me.

Any way, this should give you a idea of what I am up against, Thank You for any recommendations or ideas.

--------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 12:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Semi-Rectangular, down bag if you can afford it...and if you can't, do it anyway because the bulk of a synthetic semi-rectangular will be brutal. I'd be shooting for a +15 bag or thereabouts.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 12:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+15 ? What is that please. As for down, I was leaning that way too. . . . But wanted some opinions.

***edit***

Just searched some, if I got it right, +15 is the temp range ?

--------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 1:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

correct. With that date range (early in the season), you'll still be getting plenty enough nights below freezing. Maybe even a few into the single digits. April, May, and even June can get brisk at night in the mountains. The extra warmth will be worth it. 3-season backpacking doesn't necessarily mean warmer.

You can also consider a quilt. There are quite a few people starting to shift that way.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 6:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Stomach sleepers can benefit greatly  from a quilt. You can get one made in whatever width you need and will actually save weight compared to a traditional bag.

Read about the concept here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

Welcome to backpacking,

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 7:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Dec. 26 2012, 6:00 am)
Stomach sleepers can benefit greatly  from a quilt. You can get one made in whatever width you need and will actually save weight compared to a traditional bag.

Read about the concept here:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

Welcome to backpacking,

+1 on the Quilt suggestion. My wife sleeps on her belly too with her one leg up as you describe. You have a lot more room that way.
 Post Number: 7
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree about the quilt. Love my quilt. However, if you are bent on buying a sleeping bag, check out the Montbell Super Stretch series. They are mummy bags, but they do just what they say..STRETCH.  I own one and I love the bag for all the room is gives me, no restrictions what so ever...

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 8
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 8:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am a bigger guy too.  For temps down to 35 degrees I have a Jacks R Better quilt and love it.  Mine is the Hudson River but at times I wished I had bought the Old Rag Mt that goes down to 5 to 10 degrees.  I like my quilt as it is easy to get in and out of and does not restrict stomach sleeping which I mostly do.  

One thing about a quilt is if you go with an inflatable pad you may want to look at something like the NeoAir Treker that has a cloth feel top.  It weighs a little more than the standard NeoAir but since you won't have anything between you and the pad with a quilt the Treker is more comfortable against skin than the plastic bag feel of the standard NeoAir.  

For colder weather I have a Kelty zero degree bag.  Kelty makes larger bags for us big guys.  It weighs more than some other bags but it cost a third of what some light weight zero degree bags do.  I normally only spend a few weekends out during the real cold weather and if I was going to take a longer winter trip or have more winter trips I would invest in one of the light weight $600+ -20 degree bags but for now this works for me.
 Post Number: 9
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 26 2012, 9:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't make much comment about the shape of bags as all I've ever used is a mummy bag which serves me well.  I would say, though, you'll be well served by getting the highest quality down, rather than synthetic, bag you can afford.  Warmer for the weight, more packable, lasts much longer and is just generally more comfortable, at least IMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 10
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm also 6'2" 295 pounds and I am a side/stomach sleeper. I am making the switch to a quilt. I am going with an Enlightened Equipement quilt. I also have an insulated aircore matress that does well with my size and is warm enough. Wearing a baselayer while sleeping helps with warmth and allows me to not notice that the top of the sleeping pad is not cloth covered.
 Post Number: 11
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Big Agnes sleeping bags are designed for someone like you---back or stomach sleeper. Take a look at the Lost Ranger 15.
 Post Number: 12
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While the BA bags that use a rectangular pad are better for side-sleepers than the mummy versions, no bag that has a hood and is fixed to the pad is "good" for side or stomach sleepers. Unless you like your face in a hood. ;-)

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 2:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will look into the quilt option, this is something new to me, so thanks for the link and idea.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
okmtbr Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 10:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Marmot Sawtooth is a 15-degree down bag that comes in a Long X-wide size. If you decide you need a sleeping bag vs. a quilt, it may work for you.
Decent price (you should be able to find one on sale online), decent weight, pretty comfy.
13 replies since Dec. 26 2012, 12:42 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sleeping bag opinions
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions