2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Hate to say it..., But I think I have enough stuff...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 10:18 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't ever think I'd get to this point but right now, I've got every piece of gear that I need.  I've got stoves, tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, headlamps, stuff sacks, trekking poles, boots, backpacks and mess kits.  With the exception of clothing that I wear out, I think I'm set.

It's a good feeling, but also a sad one, since I love the stuff and trying it out.  But I guess I'll have to just try out the stuff I have and use it enough on the trails that I eventually wear it out and have to buy new stuff... ;)

Sounds like a good plan to me.  Has anyone else come to this nirvana?

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"I've got every piece of gear that I need"
Blasphemy!!!!!
 Post Number: 3
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 10:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Need? Definitely. Refine, tweak, etc....Never enough.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
DustinTN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 11:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great situation to be in!  Perhaps start setting aside some of the money you'd spend on gear and use it for gas money, etc. for trips you'd like to take.  I'll admit, I'm sucked into the consumption-based mentality with respect to my hobbies, but I find one's energy (and money) is often better expended finding ways to USE gear rather than finding ways to ACQUIRE gear.  Congrats!
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 12:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eric, I know it's Blasphemy but until I find that next gotta have item, I'm done.  I love stuff, but it's got to be useful, and if I don't use it, it's not worth the money.

Unless I get into some serious winter stuff, or we buy another kayak, no need.

Dustin, I agree, I'd love to take any money that would have been spent on a trinket and spend it on a trip, but there's no amount of money I can make to allow me the time to get away right now.  Someday soon when things calm down, otherwise I'll stick with the trips I'm lucky enough to get.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
 Post Number: 6
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 12:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Need, I think I'm there. I can sleep comfortable in the teens, maybe lower, on the ground and in the hammock.
But want or might buy is another thing. Then there is always upgrade. My next upgrades will be boots.
 Post Number: 7
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This is the point where you start selling the old up stuff and upgrading to new stuff! Lighter, stronger...
It never ends ;)
 Post Number: 8
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 12:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Now you need to start getting the second of each item.. Just in case you break something or they discontinue that favorite piece of equipment that wears out.

Unless you have 6 or 7 tents, stoves, or water filters you are not really done. Think of the economy if nothing else.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 1:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You guys aren't helping.

Eggs, you have enough stoves for the lot of us.  I've got two filters, two stoves, two pot kits, four tents, three sleeping bags, two sets of boots, four sleeping pads, two head lamps, etc.  

Think of the economy, hahah, I'm trying...

--------------
 Post Number: 10
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 1:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have all the stuff I need and even the all the stuff I want.

I went to Sierra Trading Post, REI and the local Summit Hut with plenty of money to spend. I really couldn't find anything to buy. Sure, I got some food and fuel and a couple of little things. But, nothing big.

I have three large bins to store gear in. They're labeled Current, Backup and Car Camping. They're all full.

Summit Hut has a once a year parking lot sale where customers can set up a stall and sell their used gear. I'll be selling stuff next year. Maybe after that I may find something to buy.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 11
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 1:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can almost bet -- sight unseen -- that your tent is unnecessarily heavy!   Mwahahaha...

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 12
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 2:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That was pretty mean, Ben.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 13
schlanky Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

During the last couple of years when the REI dividend/sale has happened, I've come to realize I have pretty much everything I need. It's not all top of the line, but good enough for the kinds of trips I usually take.

If I run across something that will really improve my setup, I'll buy it, but these days I'm more interested in getting rid of stuff I never use than adding to the collection---there's a peace that comes with simplification.

--------------
On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
 Post Number: 14
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 4:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

say it ain't so.

i'm pretty close.  i need a good mountaineering tent & just haven't been able to justify the expense vs. limited use issue.  between borrowing and staying in structures (thank you, AMC and Randolph Mountaineering Club), i have avoided the expense.  Otherwise, it's more a matter of refining or trying different things for different situations.

I'm testing a new backpack in the large daypack/weekend category, for example, that i'm thinking would be a pretty awesome winter summit bag.  the antithesis of my minimalist summit pack, loaded with bells and whistles, but it's pretty sweet and surprisingly light.  if i don't get to keep it, i might have to buy one.
 Post Number: 15
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 4:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Dec. 27 2012, 11:14 am)
That was pretty mean, Ben.

Huh?  Have you seen some the of truly light weight tarptents coming out?  Wonderful opportunities to drop weight without sacrificing function or comfort.   :;):

Ben.
The Gear Enabler.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 16
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 4:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A friend of mine called and asked if I wanted to hit the REI yard sale on Saturday. I went through my mental list of things and read the weather report.

Nothing I want that bad.
 Post Number: 17
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 6:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikingFF77 @ Dec. 27 2012, 10:18 am)
I didn't ever think I'd get to this point but right now, I've got every piece of gear that I need.  I've got stoves, tents, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, headlamps, stuff sacks, trekking poles, boots, backpacks and mess kits.  With the exception of clothing that I wear out, I think I'm set.

It's a good feeling, but also a sad one, since I love the stuff and trying it out.  But I guess I'll have to just try out the stuff I have and use it enough on the trails that I eventually wear it out and have to buy new stuff... ;)

Sounds like a good plan to me.  Has anyone else come to this nirvana?

yes, I am there too.  3 packs, 5 tents, 2 sleeping bags, 2 quilts, 7 air pads, 6 foam pads, 5 stoves, 4 cooksets/pots, snow shoes, micro spikes, 3 headlamps, multiple stuff sacks, 3 bladders, 2 filters, plenty of water bottles/canteens, trekking poles, and plenty of other odds and ends.
Though I do have my eye on the MLD cuben fiber Duomid and inner net... but, thats nothing I need..just really really would like.
 Also a pair of crampons possibly in my future...
wait...oh man..it never ends..

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 18
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am pretty happy with my gear but I still find myself buying things to try out.  I have not actually replaced anything in a while.  Still with that said I would like to have the latest $1000 -50 degree ultra light weight sleeping bag or tent but don't feel the need to spend that kind of money right now.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ironically enough as I came home and joked with my wife about it we started talking about how badly she really wants to see the Northern Lights.  Well there's some more gear, cause if we go to AK she needs a warmer standing in the cold jacket.  ;)  And boots.  :)

--------------
 Post Number: 20
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 7:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

...and so it begins

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 21
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was done back in 2004. And again in 2005. And 2007, and '09 and last year...

As long as gear keeps getting refined I will lust after something else. The wallet dictates more these days.

Oh look hikingFF77, the new REI catalog is here.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 22
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 11:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's good to get that feeling, even if it doesn't last forever.  After growing satisfied with my setup, I'm still occasionally tempted by new items, but only one or two at a time, and it takes a lot to convince me the change is worthwhile.
 Post Number: 23
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 11:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've hit somewhat of a plateau with my gear purchases. Although, I don't think any of my friends or family have noticed a slight decrease in purchases. At this point, most of my new gear buys have been to extend my opportunities or replace worn-out or damaged gear. Crampons and other items with sharp metal edges seem to speed that process along.
 Post Number: 24
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I must admit, I was pretty satisfied with all my gear for backpacking about a year ago,,, then I found adventure racing. It is the mother of all gear whore sports. And again I have so much to research and buy!

Happy for you though :)
How about gear for the little one?
 Post Number: 25
LordTemplar Search for posts by this member.
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 7:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have all the gear that I need, but I WANT a new tent.  I have not even used the new one I have, LOL.

--------------
"Break On Through To The Other Side"--Jim Morrison
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 9:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Erick, Adventure running?  I don't know you very well but just from meeting you for that one weekend and seeing just a small amount of your personality, I can imagine that sport is insanely addicting to you.  Wish I could do it for the exercise but nothing else.

I love tents, that's my real addiction, I could buy tents until the sun came up.

The only things to my list I'd like to upgrade are a below zero sleeping bag, snowshoes and a puffier down jacket with hookd.

--------------
 Post Number: 27
skolbe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have pretty much all of the backpacking gear I need/want right now. I have noticed some of the clothing items are starting to get worn, plus I have lost over 20 lbs so some clothes are too big. But I have also started getting involved with Triathlons - so some new stuff to buy there. I have an older road bike from college that I have been refining, but trying to resist wanting a new Carbon Fiber Road Bike. I always desire to consume less - but love researching new gear. Very conflicted. My goal is to get one long adventure a year and many little ones. Planning to go to Durango this July/August and go to the Chicago Basin.
 Post Number: 28
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've about maxed out on gear, too.  (Except I need to replace a failing Steripen.)  So, I've started buying a freeze dried meal when I go in REI.  I'm ready for an ice storm or my next trip on a moment's notice.
 Post Number: 29
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 11:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"I think I have enough stuff" That is blasphemy! You can NEVER have enough. You just keeping tweeking it to get it lighter or newer. Somebody is always coming out with some new gizmo that you can't live without.
 Post Number: 30
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have had problems finding stuff to buy in REI and the likes for a while also.  I have cashed out my dividend the last few years and used it for non backpacking stuff.  I am still intrigued by shiny stuff to buy, such as the Emberlit Ti stove.  It has become more of a want and not need situation.  Kinda like the tarp I have been checking out lately…..
48 replies since Dec. 27 2012, 10:18 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Hate to say it...
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions