2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Fishing gear< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 5:36 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I've looked at some old threads.  I've already decided on spin over fly, so that's done.  I practically live on the Chesapeake Bay, so obviously I won't be trout fishing in the Sierras or salmon fishing in Washington very often.

The slinky-looking Emmrod is very low on my list, but I could be convinced otherwise.

Here's what I've gathered so far:

1)  Rod - obviously, it should collapse.

2)  Rod - leaning toward 6.5 feet, which is way longer than I ever used when I was a kid in Florida.

3)  Reel - more ball bearings are better (how many are "enough"?).

4)  Reel - 150 yards of line is a good length.

5)  Reel - open (easier to untangle snares).

6)  Line - 4lb.

7)  Lures - wide open on this, but I'll start with some for my local area, and it should be easy to get some knowledgeable advice on this subject.

8)  Leader - I like simple, so I'm thinking leaderless, but open to change.

9)  Case?  Putting the reel in a sock sounds like a good idea.  What about the rod and strapping it to a pack, which will also have a tripod strapped to it?

10) Cost - I can afford anything within reason, but while I'm perfectly willing to spend good money up front to save money later (I hate buying things twice), I don't want to go too high end before I relearn everything my crazy male relatives taught me when I was 8.

I'm looking for fish to eat, not just fish for sport (catch and release).

I've got a few shops nearby which appear to have knowledgeabe staff, so I'm going to tap into their brains, but they're only thinking local fish - perch, rockfish, etc., with fixed length rods.  Some are truly local, while others are much larger like Bass Pro.

Thanks in advance.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where are you planning to fish, and for what?  Streams for trout?  The bay for stripers?  Need more info.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 3
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 7:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Where - first, my bay area.  That's the most important.  Mostly rivers and larger fresh/brackish waters.  Later, and obviously less frequently, other freshwater places.  The Smokies, Sierras, Rockies, etc.

Landing a 20 pound rockfish cow is obviously different than a perch.  Let's forget the 20 pounders for now, and assume 1/2 - 3 lb freshwater fish.  No rockfish/stripers.  For starters perch would be fine, but one perch doesn't go far in the belly.

Let's also rule out saltwater fishing for now.

Yes, different gear for different water/fish.  Trying to keep it simple for now.

Thanks.
 Post Number: 4
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 8:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well, in the smokies, which is a "tight presentation"  lots of canopy and branches to hook, I use either a 6' 3 w fly rod or a 6' light weight spinner. Either a 4 piece that packs well, or in the creek at my house an expensive 1 pc.   6 lb test.  Rooster tails work well.  No leader.  I have fished from S. Fl for marlin to up here in Maine in my kayak for stripers.  Pm me if you want to dig deeper.  John

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 5
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 27 2012, 9:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a 5 piece Shakespeare (cheap, still going after three years of frequent use) (not collapsible) and a Pflueger Trion (the forty dollar model, good for 2 - 6 lb test). Flies, spinners, whatever, it works fine for trout up to 3-4 lbs. I re-string each year with new 4 lb test, oil the gears at the same time, and don't often have line issues any more.

I'm cogitating upon a kayak purchase - it works great for that too.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 6
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 8:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get a rod for the weight lures you plan to use.  Cabelas has reasonable prices on pack rods.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 7
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 1:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a fishing fanatic when I'm not hiking, so here are my 2-cents worth of advice.

If you're looking for a single, general purpose rod/reel combo, then I'd suggest a medium action 6.5 foot rod and a decent reel (no less than 5 bearings) loaded with 12 pound line. That will allow you to fish for most freshwater species in North America in most conditions.

But backpacking that can be difficult.

I'm in western MD and when I go fishing when hiking I bring a 2-piece 5.5 foot light action rod. It breaks down into manageable lengths and allows me to cast in cover.

Typically I'll bring a few smaller hooks, a float, and then some small jigs - say 1/16oz - that I use with live bait or a small artificial. It can also handle small spoons and small crankbaits.

With that set up I've caught crappie, perch, and trout, all of which have ended up in the fry pan. If I'm just killing time I've also caught small bass which get tossed back into the water.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 8
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 2:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For my hiking, I got a telescoping Spiderman set from Walmart for $5. It expands out to about 24" with 4lb test. Some small hooks, split shot weights and a bobber. Kick over a log for bugs and worms or send my kid out hunting grasshoppers.

The whole she-bang fits in an oatmeal box.

1 perch doesn't do much on the belly, you are right. But 5 do nicely.

I don't fish much with it. I live in bass country. I don't much care for them. But the crappie, perch and cat's are plenty tasty.
 Post Number: 9
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

1)  Rod - obviously, it should collapse.

I have never had any long term luck w/collapseable rods.  They get gunky and sticky

I like the Shakespeare five piece AlmostThere recommended.

I found a Marlboro combo fly/spin rod and it is a five piece.  It goes w/me if we are hiking in deep and gnarly.

My no miss, works every time w/any size fish in any stream spinning lure of choice for upstate NY or  ADK mountain fishing is a         .  You just cannot beat it

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 10
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks, all.  I stopped by a place today that had about a thousand rods but only 3 types of packable.

wcolucci - when I said it should collapse I didn't mean telescoping.  3 or 4 section rods are fine.
9 replies since Dec. 27 2012, 5:36 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Fishing gear
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions