2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Pulk is done need Snow< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 11:25 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Made two one for my friend Paul in NY

We plan to use these up in the ADK in Feb. Should be a good time. I drug his 170 pound butt around the back yard yesterday on the grass. Nothing broke so should be ready to go.

We took the easy way and bought the harness, hardware, and poles from skipulk.com.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 11:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice pulks! I built my own very similiar to yours last year. Believe me you'l love to use it. They are great for hauling gear. I'm hoping to get to use mine next month going into some cabins.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
hikingFF77 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome Eggs.  I just hope there's plenty of snow to haul them over for you.

--------------
“I’m just hanging on while this world keeps spinning and it’s good to know it’s out of my control.  If there’s one thing I’ve learned from all this living is that it wouldn’t change a thing if I let go…”
Jimmy Buffett & Martina McGraw
 Post Number: 4
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lookin' good!

Thought about side stability fins or a rear brake?

I haven't used mine in two years...gotta get out there this winter!

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 5
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks good. What sled did you start with.
 Post Number: 6
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 3:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

it says Pelican on the side. Paul brought them down from NY. I thought he was getting a Jet Sled Jr  but he bought these instead.

We added 3/4 aluminum angle bars to them. 2 each about 15 inches long.

No brake. How necessary are they. I suspect most of our trips will be on lakes and rivers in ADK

Tempted to put my wheels from my canoe on it and take it for a day hike for the hell of it

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool!  (However, I hope you have to travel to get snow, because I don't want to shovel).
 Post Number: 8
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Nice E,

We just got a bit more today but still not enough snow to break out the sled tomorrow. (Or the snowshoes obviously.)

Rivers? I am used to frozen lakes but rivers scare the crud out of me. Be careful you guys.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 9
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 9:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We just got back from a trip with our sleds and it wasn't an easy one.  The day before we headed out, 2-1/2 feet of fresh snow fell on the three that was already there and our snowshoes were sinking a bit.  Other than that, it was great!

We use modified jet sleds.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 10
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 7:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Dec. 28 2012, 6:52 pm)
Nice E,

We just got a bit more today but still not enough snow to break out the sled tomorrow. (Or the snowshoes obviously.)

Rivers? I am used to frozen lakes but rivers scare the crud out of me. Be careful you guys.

Ray,
Be careful out there on the rivers as River ice is weaker than lake ice. I teach Ice Rescue to Firefighters, Police and Conservation officers. If you are going to be on or crossing any type of ice always have a pair of ice picks/awls with you, in case you fall thru.
 Post Number: 11
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 8:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

very cool. I want one!!!

--------------
www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 12
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 10:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(QCHIKER @ Dec. 29 2012, 7:53 am)

(rayestrella @ Dec. 28 2012, 6:52 pm)
Nice E,

Ray,
Be careful out there on the rivers as River ice is weaker than lake ice. I teach Ice Rescue to Firefighters, Police and Conservation officers. If you are going to be on or crossing any type of ice always have a pair of ice picks/awls with you, in case you fall thru.

You miss read. Ray was telling me to be careful on the rivers

The rivers I mentioned doing are just bog out feeds. Very slow moving. So the ice forms up pretty think. I normally stay to the lakes but a few lakes are joined by these so called rivers. many are also well traveled by snowmobiles

Well aware of the dangers of fast moving rivers and ice. I still remember as a kid walking across the Mississippi River in MN to get to school. That used to piss my mother off to no end when I did it in Feb.

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 13
onepaddlejunkie Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I ordered a Jet Sled Jr. and had it delivered to the house so I could play with it when (ever) I get back home.  Had a call a couple of days later from my bride wanting to know why the he77 I bought a sled.  I could show her the picture.  She would still think I was nuts.  
eggs, I like the way your's looks.  Now, go pull it around on the snow and post a trip report.
 Post Number: 14
hoosierdaddy Search for posts by this member.
Trophy spouse

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 3:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Dec. 28 2012, 12:35 pm)
No brake. How necessary are they. I suspect most of our trips will be on lakes and rivers in ADK

If you use your pulk on mostly flat terrain, you probably won't need a brake.  I use my pulk in mostly mountainous terrain.  I found that without a brake,
that while going uphill every time I stopped to rest, the pulk dragged me backwards and I had to exert a forward force just to hold it in place.  Not very restful!

So, I came up with this idea which works great!

Used a piano hinge attached with rivets to the rear of the pulk, and backed by a piece of aluminum on the inside of the pulk so the rivets wouldn't
pull through the plastic.  

Then I got a piece of heavy black plastic & riveted that to the piano hinge.  Next, I got an old, damaged street sign from the local street crew and
cut a hunk of it into gnarly teeth and riveted that on the bottom of the black plastic.

Going forward, the brake slides along on top of the snow.  If the pulk starts to slide backward, the teeth dig in and instantly stop me.

Works well for my use.

--------------
God, I am going to regret this someday!
 Post Number: 15
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 8:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That for the info on the brake. Look like you did a great job. I'm considering it

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 16
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hoosierdaddy @ Dec. 29 2012, 3:15 pm)

(eggs @ Dec. 28 2012, 12:35 pm)

If you use your pulk on mostly flat terrain, you probably won't need a brake.  I use my pulk in mostly mountainous terrain.  I found that without a brake,
that while going uphill every time I stopped to rest, the pulk dragged me backwards and I had to exert a forward force just to hold it in place.  Not very restful!

So, I came up with this idea which works great!

Used a piano hinge attached with rivets to the rear of the pulk, and backed by a piece of aluminum on the inside of the pulk so the rivets wouldn't
pull through the plastic.  

Then I got a piece of heavy black plastic & riveted that to the piano hinge.  Next, I got an old, damaged street sign from the local street crew and
cut a hunk of it into gnarly teeth and riveted that on the bottom of the black plastic.

Going forward, the brake slides along on top of the snow.  If the pulk starts to slide backward, the teeth dig in and instantly stop me.

Works well for my use.

That looks really cool . . . how do you back up?

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 17
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 8:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Dec. 28 2012, 11:25 am)
Made two one for my friend Paul in NY

We plan to use these up in the ADK in Feb. Should be a good time. I drug his 170 pound butt around the back yard yesterday on the grass. Nothing broke so should be ready to go.

We took the easy way and bought the harness, hardware, and poles from skipulk.com.

Eggs I need more details. Are those rigid fixed lines?  
All new to me.  you have my email.  Send me some details if you have a chance.  So confused. :(

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 18
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just go to Skipulk.com

Bring your wallet :)

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 19
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 8:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Dec. 30 2012, 8:10 pm)
Just go to Skipulk.com

okie dokie.  Got snow here now.  And it must be 4000000 below zero. With the wind of course.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 20
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 7:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Dec. 30 2012, 8:22 pm)

Just go to Skipulk.com

okie dokie.  Got snow here now.  And it must be 4000000 below zero. With the wind of course.

OK be right up we never get much snow

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 21
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just go to Skipulk.com

Wow Eggs, you aint kidding,  that's some pricey stuff.
 Post Number: 22
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

eggs, it's snowed up here a couple times since you posted this. Has there been enough where you are to get out?
 Post Number: 23
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My plan is to be up in ADK Feb 15 to use it for the first time. If they even get snow. I heard they got 5" in Saratoga Springs, NY today. So we might be OK

South Jersey will probably never see enough snow these days it seems

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 24
tRoLLin_mOtOr Search for posts by this member.
Strategery

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 12:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looks awesome, thanks for sharing...look forward seeing to your TR after you get out and use it!

--------------
It is better to travel well than to arrive
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We just got 6" last night (yay!) and more on the way. I may get to use the sled and snowshoes finally. Planning on heading for some hills Thur/Fri.

--------------
 Post Number: 26
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 3:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It will be 63F here tomorrow. :angry: I hope up state NY states colder till middle of Feb at least

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 27
Ron. Search for posts by this member.
don't surround yourself with your self

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just did a trip up in da UP last week, it snowed just in time for us!

I used my Paris sled that I bought at REI and attached all the skipulk hardware I bought from Ed's. Me on the left with the orange sled.

One of our crew bought the sled, pole and hipbelt combo REI is currently selling. The sled and poles were pretty decent quality, the hipbelt is garbage. We rigged up a hipbelt from the REI clearance bin. It is a setup made by "Lucky Bums".

--------------
And be kind toward one another
 Post Number: 28
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 2:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That looks sweet. I hope we get to keep our snow up in ADK NY. It is 67F right now in the Philadelphia area

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 3:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well I finally got the snow. And very cold temps, the lowest I have ever hiked at.

Attached Image
Attached Image

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

That pulk looks really nice. What were the temps?

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
36 replies since Dec. 28 2012, 11:25 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Pulk is done need Snow
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions