2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Backpacking games?, What do you like?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 2:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Of course there is the generic rummy which tends to be a big hit around here.
Other than that, what do you guys do to keep you busy in the tent in bad weather?
I'm currently playing Hive, which is pretty slick.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tarol first turned me on to this game years ago on a Backpacker group hike in the Domeland Wilderness. I have a set now somewhere.

http://winning-moves.com/product/PassThePigs.asp

This is a MN favorite and Dave loves it now too.

http://www.pocketfarkel.com/

My kids prefer card games for when rain traps us inside. Regular cards or specialty decks from Gamewright. (We have a bunch.)

http://www.gamewright.com/gamewri....&type=2

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 3:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My favorite bad weather game is "Nap".  I can play it all afternoon.   :laugh:
 Post Number: 4
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alone, it is solitaire. I know at least 10 different games.

With my boy, it is War, but he is getting up to speed on Cribbage.

I haven't played Pass the Pigs in years.

Car camping box has an Uno deck in it. Not really much fun for 2 people.

If the DS is charged then it is MarioKart.

We both like to read. My son and I will read to each other. His current thing is Harry Potter, but we read Treasure Island and Robinson Crusoe last summer.
 Post Number: 5
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 28 2012, 3:38 pm)
My favorite bad weather game is "Nap". I can play it all afternoon. :laugh:

Yep.  Rain on a tent fly is quite soothing.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 5:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a game called "You Drink," which is really awesome.  All you need is a half gallon of tequila (and that's one way weight).

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 7
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 5:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Dec. 28 2012, 5:21 pm)
I have a game called "You Drink," which is really awesome. All you need is a half gallon of tequila (and that's one way weight).

That usually preceeds Nap.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 8
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only if solo.

Otherwise it precedes Wrestle. Of course there are male and female hiking partner versions...

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 9
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 7:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Play Mancala. It's very lightweight, since all you carry is the rules, and you can carry those in your head, which is super light.

Dig 12 holes, find some rocks, and start playing.

Mancala is an ancient family of board games, and there are numerous variants. This is a version of the basic game, known as two-rank Mancala and also known as Kalah.
Difficulty: Average
Time Required: 15 minutes
Rules:
  • The Mancala 'board' is made up of two rows of six holes, or pits, each. If you don't have a Mancala board handy, an empty egg carton can work.
  • Four pieces -- marbles or stones -- are placed in each of the 12 holes. The color of the pieces is irrelevant.
  • Each player has a 'store' to the right side of the Mancala board. (Cereal bowls work well for this purpose if you're using an egg carton.)
  • The game begins with one player picking up all of the pieces in any one of the holes on his side.
  • Moving counter-clockwise, the player deposits one of the stones in each hole until the stones run out.
  • If you run into your own store, deposit one piece in it. If you run into your opponent's store, skip it.
  • If the last piece you drop is in your own store, you get a free turn.
  • If the last piece you drop is in an empty hole on your side, you capture that piece and any pieces in the hole directly opposite.
  • Always place all captured pieces in your store.
  • The game ends when all six spaces on one side of the Mancala board are empty.
  • The player who still has pieces on his side of the board when the game ends captures all of those pieces.
  • Count all the pieces in each store. The winner is the player with the most pieces.
    http://boardgames.about.com/cs/mancala/ht/play_mancala.htm
    ETA: For LNT, you should really "erase" the shallow holes after use.
     Post Number: 10
    TexasDesertRat Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 28 2012, 11:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Its usually spades or rummy, solitaire when I'm alone... Yahtzee is a good one if you have kids with you.

--------------
    Human Spirit of Adventure
    Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
     Post Number: 11
    Tigger Search for posts by this member.
    Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 4:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Dec. 28 2012, 4:05 pm)
    Play Mancala. It's very lightweight, since all you carry is the rules, and you can carry those in your head, which is super light.

Dig 12 holes, find some rocks, and start playing.

Mancala is an ancient family of board games, and there are numerous variants. This is a version of the basic game, known as two-rank Mancala and also known as Kalah.
    Difficulty: Average
    Time Required: 15 minutes
    Rules:
  • The Mancala 'board' is made up of two rows of six holes, or pits, each. If you don't have a Mancala board handy, an empty egg carton can work.
  • Four pieces -- marbles or stones -- are placed in each of the 12 holes. The color of the pieces is irrelevant.
  • Each player has a 'store' to the right side of the Mancala board. (Cereal bowls work well for this purpose if you're using an egg carton.)
  • The game begins with one player picking up all of the pieces in any one of the holes on his side.
  • Moving counter-clockwise, the player deposits one of the stones in each hole until the stones run out.
  • If you run into your own store, deposit one piece in it. If you run into your opponent's store, skip it.
  • If the last piece you drop is in your own store, you get a free turn.
  • If the last piece you drop is in an empty hole on your side, you capture that piece and any pieces in the hole directly opposite.
  • Always place all captured pieces in your store.
  • The game ends when all six spaces on one side of the Mancala board are empty.
  • The player who still has pieces on his side of the board when the game ends captures all of those pieces.
  • Count all the pieces in each store. The winner is the player with the most pieces.
    http://boardgames.about.com/cs/mancala/ht/play_mancala.htm
    ETA: For LNT, you should really "erase" the shallow holes after use.

• I remember playing that as a kid. Great memories.

--------------
    If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
     Post Number: 12
    QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 7:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and i usually take along a travel Yahtzee game and a UNO deck. We also have Pass the Pigs. Also I take a couple pages from a Sudoku book along and my wife takes some Find a Word pages.
     Post Number: 13
    GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hit the Trail..

http://www.rei.com/product....rd-game

or Mario Kart on DS

--------------
    www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
    author unknown
     Post Number: 14
    charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 1:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Dec. 28 2012, 3:38 pm)
    My favorite bad weather game is "Nap". I can play it all afternoon. :laugh:

I play that one too.  It adds zero weight to my pack.
     Post Number: 15
    leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 8:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Poker.
     Post Number: 16
    treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks Gabby! This Mancala seems pretty interesting.
    It would get a little complicated to play inside a tent on a rain night, but I'm going to give this a go on my next good weather trip (not been the norm lately).
    Thanks for the detailed description!
    Poker is a classic. Haven't played in a while.
    @GottaGamble, that looks pretty slick. I actually saw this at REI, but I was a bit hesitant. Is it fun for adults? Sure, child minded like myself gets you a long ways, but I need a little challenge.

I finished my write up on Hive, I wanted some actual outdoor use photos, but the weather's been sour so I just took some inside.

Hive Pocket game review
     Post Number: 17
    GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 6:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hit the trail is pretty good. It's a dice game. I enjoy playing it, as do the kids. It's pretty simple and I usually extend the length of a game by increasing the final #.  It's small and lightweight so u wouldn't even notice it packed in your pack. Fun to pass some time..

--------------
    www.mybackpacking.blog.com

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
    author unknown
     Post Number: 18
    Tigger Search for posts by this member.
    Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I play munch, talk, and drink coffee
    Go outside and play in bad weather
    Modify gear
    Nap

--------------
    If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
     Post Number: 19
    bigsilk Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 1:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I'm not hiking, recovering from a hike, preparing food, gathering firewood, harvesting water, arranging/cleaning gear, policing the site for trash, organizing the food storage/prep/cooking areas, rubbing my girlfriend's feet or tightening stuff, I sleep. Bad weather or not.

--------------
    There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
     Post Number: 20
    wwwest Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My kids loved cribbage and poker.

Making up fantasy tales, taking turns to add to the story, is great way to pass time quickly when tent bound, or when bored on the trail.

Not as good as playing nature detective to find all you can of flora and fauna while walking not too fast, but sometimes kids think that is boring.

--------------
    "The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

- John Kenneth Galbraith
     Post Number: 21
    fourkeelers Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 12:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We play LCR, Farkle, dice, and various card games. We have a uno deck that is so tiny, two decks fit in the space of a travel size card deck.

I've got my eye on a sub 1" diameter plastic poker chip set as well.

Killer
     Post Number: 22
    LyttleBryan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 6:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It's a campfire game called "Ghost."

Someone starts and picks a letter.  You then proceed around the circle with each person adding a letter to the previous.  The objective is to potentially make a word without actually making one.  If you accidentally make a word "thinking of the word 'fire' in your head but accidentally spell 'fir' when you throw the 'r' in" then you get a point.  After 7 points, you're out of the game.  Last person in the game wins.  If for some reason the letters get kind of jumbled and it doesn't appear to be a word, someone can "challenge" on their turn and the person that went before the challenge has to state a word that can be completed with those letters. If they succeed, the challenger gets a point.  If they fail, they get the point.
    21 replies since Dec. 28 2012, 2:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Backpacking games?
    iB Code Buttons
    You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
    Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
    Track this topic
    View All Emoticons
    View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
    Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
    The Best Trails in America
    YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
    and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
    Full Name:
    City:
    Address 1:
    Zip Code:
    State:
    Address 2:
    Email (required):
    Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions