2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Ultralight Multitool?, Need a better option for a multitool< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
oracle5 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 1:30 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey Guys,

I need help finding an alternative to my multitool situation. I use to carry a Victorinox Swiss Champ at around 6.5oz and the last time I posted a gear list I was convinced to ditch that for something lighter. Right now I've moved to a combination of a Leatherman Style PS(I already had for travelling via airplane-has no knife) and a Victorinox Camper(also already had) at 4.2oz all together. I really don't like having 2 tool since there are duplicates.

I've been pretty unsuccessful at finding everything in one tool or even a combination of tools that weighs less. I'd checked out fishing forceps but they are all too heavy to replace the pliers.

The tools I want:
-pliers(for fishing)
-wood saw
-tweezers(for splinters)
-scissors

Things that would be nice to have:
-awl
-small flathead screwdriver

The tools I don't need on the tools I have:
-knife(already carrying an ESEE 4)
-pin(fishing pole is held onto my pack with a safety pin that can do this function)
-corkscrew
-bottle opener
-can opener
-nail file

Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 2:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm in the same boat. Actually, I'm thinking of ditching the multi-tool altogether.

Your "need" list is the same as mine, minus the pliers because I don't fish. Currently I keep a mini SAK in the first aid kit for the tweezers and scissors. Beyond that all I really need is a good knife blade, either half serrated or a full fine edge then add a small wood saw for emergencies. An awl could be useful, otherwise I, like you, have a lot of dead-weight on the multi-tool.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 5:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I can't believe that they have never come out with a Swiss Army knife that is more user friendly and has the tools people use most often and get rid of some of the things that are kinda useless.
 Post Number: 4
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 6:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Or a company that lets you order a custom tool with the things you need.
 Post Number: 5
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought five of these a few years back at the local Lowes - they were on clearance for less than $5. I got them primarily because I couldn't find any multitool back then that had both pliers and scissors. Now, I think you can get both in a Leatherman, though maybe not in something as light as this:
http://sheffieldhardware.com/products/show/12010
http://www.amazon.com/gp....02YUMCU
As you can see, its price has gone up a bit.

Not exactly everything you want, and they're "cheapo", but I've had them for years now, and I'm still using the first one I took out of the plastic clamshell. I've used them to build a Pepsi can alcohol stove just to prove I could do it with them alone - so there's that.
Item 12010: Sheffield 12-in-1 Multi Tool

Folds closed to 2-1/2" in length
Includes:
+ Needle nose pliers
Wire cutters
+ Scissors
+ Small screwdriver
+ Medium screwdriver
+ Awl
- Phillips screwdriver
- Can opener
- Nail cleaner/file
- Knife
Lanyard attachment
 Post Number: 6
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 6:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The lightest I know of is the Coast Microtool, at 2 oz on the button.  It doesn't have a saw, though.
 Post Number: 7
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a leatherman squirt that works well. Sturdy for such a little thing at 2oz. It still has some tools that you don't need. But the springloaded pliers and scissors are nice.
http://www.leatherman.com/product/Squirt_PS4
 Post Number: 8
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 1:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No wood saw though
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eric1981 @ Dec. 30 2012, 1:11 pm)
No wood saw though

Yeah, hate to give up the saw but if I want to cut the weight it may be my only option.
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 5:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How about a wire saw? A better alternative, IMHO.
 Post Number: 11
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(oracle5 @ Dec. 31 2012, 5:14 pm)

No wood saw though

Yeah, hate to give up the saw but if I want to cut the weight it may be my only option.

Do you mind if I ask what you will be sawing?

I used to carry a bigger leatherman with pliers and all the other parts until I looked at what I was using. Now I just use a very small one w/ scissors, knife and tweezers and bring a pair of light weight pliers when I'm fly fishing.

I tried to find the one perfect tool but then decided on a more flexible approach. It also gave me an excuse to buy more knives and that is always welcome.
 Post Number: 12
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eric1981 @ Dec. 30 2012, 1:08 pm)
I have a leatherman squirt that works well. Sturdy for such a little thing at 2oz. It still has some tools that you don't need. But the springloaded pliers and scissors are nice.
http://www.leatherman.com/product/Squirt_PS4

I went the Leatherman Squirt and wire saw route.  Worked for me but I didn't do that much sawing on the trail.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 10:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 31 2012, 5:20 pm)

My thinking exactly, I ordered one last week. That and a good sturdy blade, along with a mini SAK for tweezers and scissors, is all I really need.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 14
llamapacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(charadeur @ Dec. 29 2012, 3:14 pm)
Or a company that lets you order a custom tool with the things you need.

+1 to that, electronic gear also.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 1:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AndyPandy @ Jan. 01 2013, 12:15 am)

(oracle5 @ Dec. 31 2012, 5:14 pm)

No wood saw though

Do you mind if I ask what you will be sawing?

I used to carry a bigger leatherman with pliers and all the other parts until I looked at what I was using. Now I just use a very small one w/ scissors, knife and tweezers and bring a pair of light weight pliers when I'm fly fishing.

I tried to find the one perfect tool but then decided on a more flexible approach. It also gave me an excuse to buy more knives and that is always welcome.

Mostly for making the setup to cook fish over the fire. I could do it without the saw but the saw sure makes it easier to make clean cuts. I like playing with wood too while I'm out there so its also part luxury item.

I use to do it without a saw back when I carried a Becker BK2(talk about heavy). The ESEE 4(something I'm not willing to give up) I carry is more than capable so I think I might just give up the saw and just carry the Leatherman Style PS for the pliers, tweezers, and scissors.
 Post Number: 16
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Glacier detail

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 2:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Any recommdations for a wire saw?  I have a similar chain saw one of the chillen gave me a few years ago, but I don't really need it in the woods around our property and I see it as largely overkill when bping.
 Post Number: 17
Fester Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 2:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might post this question over at http://forum.multitool.org those guys are nuts for their multitools and might know of a little known multi that will fit the bill for you.

--------------
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
 Post Number: 18
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I picked up a cheapo Helping Hands one that hangs off my key ring. Folded up, it is about the size of my thumb. Scissors and pliers

I picked it up at the grocery store for $2 or $3. I don't care if they get lost.

http://store.helpinghandtools.net/12in1precisionmultitool.aspx

It's not my default, but it does the job. Especially for taking out those little bitty Phillips screws on the back of electronics battery covers.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 12:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Jan. 01 2013, 10:20 am)

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 31 2012, 5:20 pm)

My thinking exactly, I ordered one last week. That and a good sturdy blade, along with a mini SAK for tweezers and scissors, is all I really need.

The wire saw arrived the other day. The one I got is called "commando wire saw", it also says "discovery" on the top of the package, not sure if that's the company name. The butchered translation of the instructions from Chinese to English are pretty funny. Under $5 shipped from Amazon.

It actually cuts quite well, the challenge is holding a piece of wood steady while also pulling the wire back and forth with arms outstretched all at the same time, you kinda need 3 hands. But once you get things positioned it truly can cut, in a different league than a 2" saw blade on a multitool. If you need to cut more than one thing the first thing to cut is a stick/branch to string the wire saw onto to make into a bow saw, then you really are in business.

I rarely make fires so only need something for an emergency kit, and I think this makes sense. Weighed it at 0.7oz., cut the corner of a Fedex envelope to make a small tyvek sleeve for the saw, tucked it into my "essentials" kit and fuggedaboudit. Along with the mini screwdriver and mini SAK already in there, plus paraframe in my pocket, that replaces all I would need in a multitool so it's gonna stay home. Also lose a few ounces in the swap-out.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 20
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 11 2013, 9:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just stumbled in to this thread. I suppose I don't have much to offer in the way of a compact multi-tool with the tool list the OP describes.

However, that is one area I don't like to skimp on with a trip (I don't like to skimp on anything, really - just try to find lighter alternatives to drop my pack weight while maintaining my functionality).

In fact, I have the same multi-tool - swiss champ. I have been carrying it every day for the better part of 15 years. You would be surprised what it has built (and taken apart). It is my go-to multi-tool for backpacking. If I am on a tight weight budget it may be all I take, but I really do appreciate a solid fixed blade knife in camp.

I bought an ESEE-4 last year as my general purpose camp knife. I love it. I have an ESEE-6, and at the time I had an Izula II. The Izula was too small for a general camp knife and I just couldn't get myself to bring the ESEE-6. For some trips the 6 is OK, but for packing miles its just way to huge. The 4 is a great do-all knife. Since then my Izula was stolen and I replaced it with a Bark River Necker (the short one) in CPM-3V. My "nice" knife is a Bravo Gunny in CPM-3V, which I used to EDC until I got my Necker. The 3V steel is great stuff.

Someone, maybe it was on this forum even, recommended the Khun Rikon knives to me. I was looking to get a separate food prep knife. The one I have is a pearing knife with a sheath - stainless steel and has a non-stick coating. It is NOT a camp-duty knife, and realistically is very weak (weaker than my cheap table knives). However, for food prep it kicks butt. I honed it with a Razorsharp paper wheel (the slotted one) on a bench grinder and you don't need to so much as touch the edge and it cuts. I like simmering veggies on the trail and I can make quick work of an onion and garlic! (need to pay more attention to my finger tips next time though). As a bonus - the knife is extremely light. For the added convenience of a dedicated food-prep knife its GREAT.

Another thought is a saw by Silky Saws. I have a Pocket Boy 170 and a Gomboy 240. For a saw they can't be beat. The 170 has been on a lot of trips. The reason I went with the 240 is because in more "camp" settings it will handle bigger wood. The 170's limit is about 2", with some work 3". The 240 will take 4-6". These saws are light for what they are, but certainly not a necessity if you are tight on weight (I'll leave the saws out on trips if my shakedown requires it, if I can swing it one goes along).

Before the Silky Saws I used the saw that is on my swiss champ. That works to some extent, but it depends on what you are trying to do with it. Generally, the limit I have found with mine is it doesn't really "cut" through wood. Rather, it allows me to nick/slot the wood so I can finish breaking it by hand or stomp on it, etc. The saw gives me a starting point in the wood to break it. If you are much in to bushcraft I could see the small saw helping out with snares and making other gizmos, but if you need/want a saw then get a separate saw.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 8:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KC8QVO @ Jan. 11 2013, 9:53 pm)
I just stumbled in to this thread. I suppose I don't have much to offer in the way of a compact multi-tool with the tool list the OP describes.

However, that is one area I don't like to skimp on with a trip (I don't like to skimp on anything, really - just try to find lighter alternatives to drop my pack weight while maintaining my functionality).

In fact, I have the same multi-tool - swiss champ. I have been carrying it every day for the better part of 15 years. You would be surprised what it has built (and taken apart). It is my go-to multi-tool for backpacking. If I am on a tight weight budget it may be all I take, but I really do appreciate a solid fixed blade knife in camp.

I bought an ESEE-4 last year as my general purpose camp knife. I love it. I have an ESEE-6, and at the time I had an Izula II. The Izula was too small for a general camp knife and I just couldn't get myself to bring the ESEE-6. For some trips the 6 is OK, but for packing miles its just way to huge. The 4 is a great do-all knife. Since then my Izula was stolen and I replaced it with a Bark River Necker (the short one) in CPM-3V. My "nice" knife is a Bravo Gunny in CPM-3V, which I used to EDC until I got my Necker. The 3V steel is great stuff.

Someone, maybe it was on this forum even, recommended the Khun Rikon knives to me. I was looking to get a separate food prep knife. The one I have is a pearing knife with a sheath - stainless steel and has a non-stick coating. It is NOT a camp-duty knife, and realistically is very weak (weaker than my cheap table knives). However, for food prep it kicks butt. I honed it with a Razorsharp paper wheel (the slotted one) on a bench grinder and you don't need to so much as touch the edge and it cuts. I like simmering veggies on the trail and I can make quick work of an onion and garlic! (need to pay more attention to my finger tips next time though). As a bonus - the knife is extremely light. For the added convenience of a dedicated food-prep knife its GREAT.

Another thought is a saw by Silky Saws. I have a Pocket Boy 170 and a Gomboy 240. For a saw they can't be beat. The 170 has been on a lot of trips. The reason I went with the 240 is because in more "camp" settings it will handle bigger wood. The 170's limit is about 2", with some work 3". The 240 will take 4-6". These saws are light for what they are, but certainly not a necessity if you are tight on weight (I'll leave the saws out on trips if my shakedown requires it, if I can swing it one goes along).

Before the Silky Saws I used the saw that is on my swiss champ. That works to some extent, but it depends on what you are trying to do with it. Generally, the limit I have found with mine is it doesn't really "cut" through wood. Rather, it allows me to nick/slot the wood so I can finish breaking it by hand or stomp on it, etc. The saw gives me a starting point in the wood to break it. If you are much in to bushcraft I could see the small saw helping out with snares and making other gizmos, but if you need/want a saw then get a separate saw.

I went on a trip without my Victorinox Camper and needless to say it will be added back for the next trip as I missed it too much.

I also carry an ESEE4 with the orange handle.
 Post Number: 22
Idaho Bob Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 3:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The wire saw is useless, as is the Swiss Army saw.  One cut with the wire saw through a 6 inch long, and your hands are quivering and shot.  I use a 2 oz Mora knife.  When I need to cut branches such as to make a tent pole is one is forgotten, I baton the Mora knife blade through the branch, easily up to an inch in diameter.  

I either use my hands and fingers for pliers when fishing, or use a hemostat, which is very light and way better for gripping hooks.  I have a repair kit with eyeglasses screwdriver, about the only screwdriver I need.  

I have small tweezers in my first aid kit and generally small scissors for use with tape and bandages.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
21 replies since Dec. 29 2012, 1:30 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Ultralight Multitool?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions