2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Now I'll be on the gear cutting edge!, Found a 1918 Nessmuk "Woodcraft"< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 3:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At The Strand in NYC.
Already in its thirteenth edition. ....

I love those oldies.  Didn't find any  trail guides though.

$15. Cheap fun.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 4:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is a 1918 Neesmuk Woodcraft????
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Turn of the century "how to camp in the woods". Written under the nom de plume of Nessmuk.

Think "The Complete Walker" but way way older.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/34607/34607-h/34607-h.htm

The Strand Bookstore:
http://www.strandbooks.com/?stop_mobi=yes
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pretty neat old book. I' got an old Seaton (I think) Woodcraft and Nature book.
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like the old trail guides but they didn't have any.
 Post Number: 6
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 8:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

Great find...thanks for the post.
 Post Number: 7
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 8:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Dec. 29 2012, 10:15 am)
Turn of the century "how to camp in the woods". Written under the nom de plume of Nessmuk.

A couple of turns and a half...

It was first published in 1884 but he is writing about things he did over 40 years before in much of it. Cool book. I have it. Look for Horace Kephart's version of the same thing first published in 1906. It goes into more detail and has some great quotes.
 Post Number: 8
Islandized Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 9:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a bunch of these old bushcraft books, but not this one...yet! You bet I want one. Thank you for the post.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"...Horace Kephart's version of the same thing first published in 1906. It goes into more detail and has some great quotes...."

Thanks! Will do.

Big old bookstores like that one are terrific,
 Post Number: 10
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I agree HSF, those big used bookshops can be amazing places. We have a few that one man started over 30 years ago here with an outstanding business model. They are very successful. I got both of these books there.

Here is the difference, the Nessmuk book on the right has 105 pages. The Kephart book on the left has 884 pages. Both are cheep fun as you say.

Nessmuk is considered the grandfather of ultralight, or minimalism. He was kind of a small guy and needed to have a light kit.

Another book you may just like for the location alone is The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac. The book describes the very first backpacking trip old mad Jack ever went on. Gary Snyder took him into the Sierra and if you follow the clues you can tell exactly where they went in Yosemite. It was set in October of 1955 so you see a very good picture of what backpacking was at that time. You will be amazed at how much carried on through to today and the old methods we rarely use anymore. I even found the peak they climbed on a USGS 7.5 minute quad. There is a lot more of the Beat thing in that book but the trip and the subsequent outfitting expedition in Oakland is priceless. Jack got his kit and was never the same. He was hooked. The funny thing is; the first trip he took with Gary was probably his best. They took another good one together in the book too along the coast.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 31 2012, 6:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've read a bunch of Snyder's poetry (first was Turtle Island, have to add that book to my list!

Hmmm, seeing that cover I may actually have Camping and Woodcraft from sometime back in the sixties.... Something about the title, seeing it like that, strikes me as familiar.
 Post Number: 12
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 12:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

“I felt like lying down by the side of the trail and remembering it all. The woods do that to you, they always look familiar, long lost, like the face of a long-dead relative, like an old dream, like a piece of forgotten song drifting across the water, most of all like golden eternities of past childhood or past manhood and all the living and the dying and the heartbreak that went on a million years ago and the clouds as they pass overhead seem to testify (by their own lonesome familiarity) to this feeling.”
― Jack Kerouac, The Dharma Bums

That pretty much says it for me.
11 replies since Dec. 29 2012, 3:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Now I'll be on the gear cutting edge!
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions