2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Copper spur ul1, Length?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 10:35 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently got a pretty good deal on a CS ul1. The length says 90" but with the walls leaning inward at the head and feet can anyone tell me the actual useable length.  Im fine in our Hubba Hubba but that's probably because the walls are more vertical.  I wasn't nervous about the CS until I started reading some reviews from taller folks, I'm 6'3".  Hopefully not a bad buy, just started looking at single man tents for when the wife doesnt go with me.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 29 2012, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It is listed as 90 inches.  I am 6'1" and have no issues with it.  There is very little room for your other gear but the vestibule is large enough for my shoes and pack.  It is kind of hard for guys as tall as us to get in and out of but it is still my favorite tent.  I see it as a nice compromise.  It is very light for being free standing and mine has stood up well to some pretty good storms.
 Post Number: 3
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 3:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The usable length on a tent can be estimated simply by taking a good look at the wall slope and just replicate that on a wall at your place.
Keep in mind that at best the wall will be flat but usually slightly concave , so you may lose a an inch or two because of that.
Don't forget that you will lose more because of your mat.
The thicker the mat the more you lose .
Here is what I mean:

At that angle I would be losing at least 8" either end if on top of that mat.
keep in mind that because manufacturers figures are not necessarily exact and you may get the angle slightly wrong, may way gives you a rough idea but still better than just guessing .
To add...
I just visualise this but it becomes clearer if you add your sleeping bag on top of the mat...
This is in fact thge main reason why tents are bigger in the shop than in use....
 Post Number: 4
hummm Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Dec. 30 2012, 9:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 6ft 4in and have been using a Copper Spur 1 for a couple of years.  I've been very happy with it.
 Post Number: 5
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I didn't fit with my large neo and WM bag without rubbing the foot and head area.  It was a very tight squeeze.  I noticed big Agnes has come out with a  Slater UL 1+ which is 96" long.  This may do the trick.  I havent used a tent with front entry before, I'll wait to see some reviews.
 Post Number: 6
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 6:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

What is nice about the CS is that it is free standing and easy to move if the wind changes or you just decide another space is better once it is set up.
5 replies since Dec. 29 2012, 10:35 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Copper spur ul1
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions