2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: A New Sleeping Pad, Always looking for better< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Jambeaux Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 8:26 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I currently have 2 sleeping pads, a Thermarest Z Lite Sol and an Exped Synmat 7. The Thermarest lets me feel the cold hard ground more than I like. The Exped gives me the comfort I like but it is a pain to inflate. Does anyone have a different reccomendation?

--------------
laissez le bon temps rouler
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 8:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Exped Downmat with the built-in hand pump and it's not too much of a hassle to inflate.  For winter there's nothing better.  I've used the NeoAir All Season which is okay and light.  Also favor the Thermarest 40th Anniversary pad (get them while you can) and of course the Prolite Plus, a very nice 3+ season pad.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 3
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 10:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get one of these and inflate whatever you want with no difficulty.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 4
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you find that perfect pad let me know.  All the ones with built in pumps I have seen or owned weight more than I want to deal with.  I would rather blow one up than carry a bunch of extra weight.
 Post Number: 5
Tipi Walter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 11:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Exped downmat I use is the largest and comes in at 2 lbs 13 ozs.  This is reasonable when you're holed up at -10F.  A good sleeping pad has to serve several functions with weight often being the least important consideration.

BTW, the downmat 7 is 1 lb 15 ozs---pretty good weight for a winter stand-alone pad.

--------------
http://trailjournals.com/TipiWalter11

http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/
 Post Number: 6
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jan. 01 2013, 8:34 am)
I have the Exped Downmat with the built-in hand pump and it's not too much of a hassle to inflate.  For winter there's nothing better.

The Syn7 comes with the same built in pump. It took me a few times to get the hang of it which may be the complaint of the original post. But the pad itself is great - comfy and warm.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 7
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Jan. 01 2013, 10:44 am)
Get one of these and inflate whatever you want with no difficulty.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

Hey, Ray.
Does that microburst work without an adaptor with the Exped downmat 9, older version?

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 1:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You could try a Klymit Inertia X-frame or X-lite on top of the Z-Lite, in or under the bag. I have a Z-lite and a X-lite, and have used both, but am going to combine them soon to see how they fare in cold weather. I don't like having the Z-Lite attached outside my pack, but also don't like the idea of not having any insulation if an insulated inflatable fails. The combo is lighter than my insulated pad, too.
The torso length X-Lite takes less than 2 breaths to inflate.
 Post Number: 9
PanatomicX Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 3:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been using this-Quick, easy, dry inflation. Can also be used as a stuff sack.

http://www.rei.com/product/829645/exped-schnozzel-pumpbag
 Post Number: 10
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 4:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No love for the Instaflator?

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 11
paulbrown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 10:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(skinewmexico @ Jan. 01 2013, 4:18 pm)
No love for the Instaflator?

Yes indeed. 6 very light breaths to fill up my two large neoairs

--------------
- The dude abides
 Post Number: 12
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 2:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tipi Walter @ Jan. 01 2013, 8:28 am)
The Exped downmat I use is the largest and comes in at 2 lbs 13 ozs.  This is reasonable when you're holed up at -10F.  A good sleeping pad has to serve several functions with weight often being the least important consideration.

BTW, the downmat 7 is 1 lb 15 ozs---pretty good weight for a winter stand-alone pad.

In my opinion,

Unless you're on dry ground, there should be no such thing as a stand-alone pad in winter, short of a thick closed cell foam.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 3:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Synmat UL7 does not have a built in pump but the Synmat 7 does.
It takes a bit of practice to get the pump to work effectively but once you get it it is reasonably fast.
This is the way I do it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6dC1WD450U
Yes it takes 2 minutes but not much effort...
3 basic "tricks'
1) open both valves and let it stand there for a few minutes
2) let the sponge in the pump fully inflate before you push down again
3) make sure you are blocking the in valve fully as you press down.
 Post Number: 14
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Jan. 01 2013, 11:43 am)
Does that microburst work without an adaptor with the Exped downmat 9, older version?

It works perfect with the old style. (I just dug out my son's pad.)

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 2:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks guys. A lot of food for thought. Franco one of your 3 tips made the inflation a little easier. I think for now I'll stick with the Synmat 7 for now. I must admit it was warm and comfortable.

On another note this was mysecond trip with the Aarn pack and my first with the Tarptent Rainshadow 2. It was at the confluence of the Suwannee River and Withlacoochee River in North FL. I'll attempt to post a link to the photobucket album.

http://s1275.beta.photobucket.com/user....%202013

--------------
 Post Number: 16
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 4:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

do those "balance pockets" swing while you're walking or are they pretty well fixed? i like the concept.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Jan. 02 2013, 4:16 pm)
do those "balance pockets" swing while you're walking or are they pretty well fixed? i like the concept.

The balance pockets do not swing, nor do they interfere with my arm swing. It has become the pack I favor most. I also own an Osprey Aether 70.

--------------
 Post Number: 18
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 11:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jambeaux, did you know you can inflate the Exped with your foot? I find that a lot easier. It's the same principle: just make sure your foot covers the valve and it will work fine. I think if you can put up with the weight of the Synmat 7 there's nothing more comfortable or warmer, so I would stick with it.
 Post Number: 19
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 1:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Exped downmat 7, and I'm also not a fan of the built in pump.  I'm going to try the foot thing and see if it helps.  I have an older version of the short downmat, that used the stuff sack as a bellows pump, and I liked that system much better.  Oh well.  The pad is warm & comfy enough that I can overlook the PITA to get the thing inflated.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Jan. 02 2013, 11:20 pm)
Jambeaux, did you know you can inflate the Exped with your foot? I find that a lot easier. It's the same principle: just make sure your foot covers the valve and it will work fine. I think if you can put up with the weight of the Synmat 7 there's nothing more comfortable or warmer, so I would stick with it.

It is quite a bit heavier than some of the newer models.

--------------
 Post Number: 21
eric1981 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 10:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have really come to love my NeoX-lite. Looking forward to getting an X-therm for colder temps. I use a pumpsack to inflate it, and as a H2o resistant stuff sack. The instaflator works too.
It surpised me how much more comfortable the horizontal baffles are. I don't love the tapered foot end in the winter though. I move around a lot and find my legs fall off and become cold.
I also agree that in winter an inflatable pad should never be without a ccf backup.
 Post Number: 22
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Jambeaux @ Jan. 03 2013, 7:55 am)
It is quite a bit heavier than some of the newer models.

I know. I also have the wide and not a newer model of the Synmat 7. To justify the weight I took 1 lb off my sleeping bag and a few ounces off my tent. I don't mind carrying the weight for the comfort it offers.
21 replies since Jan. 01 2013, 8:26 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply A New Sleeping Pad
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions