2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sierra Designs Lightning?, Nothing compares to you!< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
johndoughertyart Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:17 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I was curious what tent in 2013 or 2012 most resembles the Sierra Designs Lightning tent from 2007. I felt for the price, ease of setting it up, weight, size, this was a great 2 person tent. Unfortunately they do not make this tent anymore... :( .
I was curious what tent is most like that tent?
Thanks for any help. Happy New Years.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 12:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would say this one.
http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-299-zia-2-w-footprint-gear-loft.aspx
Same basic design, but now with thin win blocking walls half way up to keep wind, snow drift, and sand blow to a minimum.
 Post Number: 3
johndoughertyart Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It says the packed weight is 5 lb 9 oz. Is that the weight of the tent in the shipping box. If so it says trail weight would be 5lb 1oz which is quite close to the Lightnings 4lb 10oz. Also does anyone know if you can set the Zia up with just the footprint and rainfly making it a pretty light tent?
 Post Number: 4
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 8:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No not the shipping box. Minimum weight or trail weight would be just the tent, fly, and poles (often the best for comparing tent weight apples-to-apples). Packed weight normally would be everything else you get -- stakes, tie-outs, etc. But...that tent includes the footprint, which often isn't included with a tent, so I don't think they are including the footprint weight in that packed weight. The specs say the footprint alone weighs 7 oz, that has to be in addition to the 8 oz difference in weights you see.

That's quite a bit heavier than the SD Lightning, which specs at 3lb 14oz trail weight and 4lb 4oz packed weight.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 5
paulbrown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 8:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had a lightning for years. Great tent.  I have the newer HT lightning.  It has a second door some top venting and a little more vertical walls for about the same weight.

The older version was very easy to set up and the huge door was great for views.

May the gear angels smile on thee

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum....ng-tent

--------------
- The dude abides
 Post Number: 6
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

^The weight I quoted for the SD Lightning is actually for the newer HT, sorry.

JohnDough, I PM'd you about a tent I have that might fit the bill for you, did you get it?

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 7
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Lots of simple 2-person dome tents out there but for a decent single-door, no-brow pole design, consider the Kelty Salida:
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___28008#

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
6 replies since Jan. 01 2013, 12:17 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sierra Designs Lightning?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions