2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: How much $ would I lose selling my unused WM bag?, Or can I use it even though its too big?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
EndtheLie Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 5:14 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So I got a Western Mountaineering GWS Sequoia Long with overfill in April of last year and I'm just now realizing that it's too long for me. The good part is that I have literally never taken it on a trip with me and it has just spent some quality time in my closet laid out with no compression whatsoever.

Any idea how much money I'd lose selling it since it is literally unused in brand new condition never having been compressed?

I'd like to get another WM bag but not in a long version.

Alternate question: if I'm 6'0" and I have a 6'6" bag, can I still use my big bag? Only concern is that it'll hang off my pad a bit.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 6:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

WM bags are rarely on sale so for an unused bag 20-30% off would be a good price.
As for the length it depends a lot on how you sleep.
If you sleep flat on your back, your toes will point outwards so you will be a few inches longer anyway.
Maybe you could measure that .
Some use the extra space to put clothing they want to keep warm down there , others even put their boots (wrapped up) so they are not frozen in the morning...
(the last comment has to do with the 5f rating of the bag)

BTW, I purchased a Summerlite (unused) at 20% off.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I actually originally bought it with that in mind and 20-30% is a pretty big chunk of change for me so maybe I should just hold on to it. Since it's GWS and I'm not sleeping on bare ground, I shouldn't wake up with it soaking wet if it's touching the tent floor, right? (I use a footprint as well).
 Post Number: 4
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 6:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At 6', I would think the long was the best fit.  Personally, I hate it when my feet are at the end of the bag.

No, the bag will not be soaking wet when you wake up in the morning, unless you fall asleep under the showerhead.  :)  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 5
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 6' & use a long.  Get a long pad.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 6
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 7:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Jan. 01 2013, 6:18 pm)
WM bags are rarely on sale so for an unused bag 20-30% off would be a good price.

^Yes, but how much you lose is different from the price discount on the item. You'll probably "lose" more -- most channels for selling used gear have fees and percentages you'll pay at every step of the process: for example you'll pay to post on eBay, pay shipping, pay for getting paid through PayPal, etc. You may not use eBay but you get the idea. If you don't pay the shipping you'll still pay it anyway because many buyers build that into their "cost" calculation, so whatever shipping costs you offload to them becomes a further discount in their mind to justify the cost (unless you can find a buyer local to you).

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 7
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm 6' + 3/8" and always go for long bags in cold temps, for reasons previously stated -- stuffing clothes and/or water in the foot to keep those items warm.

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 8
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My point was that you lose less selling a brand that is almost never on sale than the ones that are , unless of course you happen to have bought the item when on sale.
But of course you still lose.
 Post Number: 9
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Add another 6' guy who says stay with the long. A regular bag just feels cramped and you can't put in the boots, liners, or clothes during the winter to keep warm.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I never use a pad that reaches much past my hips so there's never been any concern about the pad and sleeping bag matching up.

For on snow usage I do use full length pads plus closed cell foam extras, but that's an exception to the rest of the seasons and then it's for my feet and nothing to do with the end of the bag.

6'2" and I always use longs, the extra is above and under me head and shoulders for a cozy fit.
 Post Number: 11
paulbrown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 10:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keep it.  Nice bag!

--------------
- The dude abides
 Post Number: 12
davela Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 12:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

ebay doesnt charge anymore to list auctions but they do take 10% + if the item sells and then paypal takes 3%.So you are looking at 13% hit on ebay.
Thats why there is craigslist.

--------------

Protect Greater Canyonlands!

Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 1:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seems like the best call is to keep it and just sleep with some clothes in the end or bunch it up a bit.

My biggest concern was the moisture issue but sounds like it shouldn't be too much of one? Dew/rain was always a concern for me since I know getting down bags wet in a rain storm is no fun.
 Post Number: 14
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 2:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'd keep it, too.  You'll figure out how to deal with the length.  Two of my cousins are 6' 4" and  6' 6", and neither has mentioned difficulty keeping the extra length dry.  The taller one uses an even shorter tent than I do.
 Post Number: 15
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keep it...seriously

Geez, I'm 5'6" and all my bags are longs...

My Helium is a long and I have taken it into single digits w/no issue  I know this goes against all the hyperbola regarding excess space to heat and all that but come on...it is 6".

But this comes from a guy who will shave off a few ounces here and there and carry in a pound of Bourbon

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 16
WalksWithBlackflies Search for posts by this member.
Resident Eco-Freak Bootlicker

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Jan. 02 2013, 9:54 am)
Keep it...seriously

Same here... but I'm an inch taller!

--------------
When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. - Lao Tzu
 Post Number: 17
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

5'10" and all my bags are long. I get cold feel when I hit the end (or so I think). Keep your clothes and/or boots warm down there; awesome in the morning. Absolutely no reason to sell it.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 18
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Jan. 01 2013, 7:44 pm)
My point was that you lose less selling a brand that is almost never on sale than the ones that are , unless of course you happen to have bought the item when on sale.
But of course you still lose.

I agree Franco, wasn't disputing your point, just adding that what you "lose" may not end at the discount on the sale price, no matter what that discount is.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 19
bigsilk Search for posts by this member.
A different kind of rebel...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Jan. 02 2013, 9:54 am)
Keep it...seriously

My Helium is a long and I have taken it into single digits w/no issue  I know this goes against all the hyperbola regarding excess space to heat and all that but come on...it is 6".

But this comes from a guy who will shave off a few ounces here and there and carry in a pound of Bourbon

I like the cut of your jib.

--------------
There are only two things I don't like about people: They take too long to cook and taste like crap when they're done.
 Post Number: 20
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man you scared me there for a second.....based on your sig I thought you meant "RIB"

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 21
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 4:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Jan. 14 2013, 3:04 pm)

Man you scared me there for a second.....based on your sig I thought you meant "RIB"

I was wondering if he thought you were a kilt wearer.   :;):

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 22
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 4:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry.
I tried to edit that away and wasn't able.  Spent the whole weekend watching football and I've gotten a bit stir crazy.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
21 replies since Jan. 01 2013, 5:14 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply How much $ would I lose selling my unused WM bag?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions