2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Do any of you carry a firearm?, Protection from wildlife< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 9:01 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm just curious about those that carry firearms - What gun and caliber? Why?

I don't want to turn this in to a discussion about carrying vs. not carrying, just on guns and calibers please.

My regular carry gun is a .40 S&W M&P compact. One of my long-time backpacking buddys carries a G27 with us (glock equivalent of what I have). However the general answer I get from those I've asked about guns for wildlife defense (bears, etc) is some form of high-power round, .44 magnum is a very common response but I've heard people say a 10mm, .357 mag, .41 mag, and .45 long colt also.

So I am posing the same question here to those that backpack and carry, if you do what do you carry and why?

--------------
Steve
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 9:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

" Do any of you carry a firearm?, Protection from wildlife"

Nope, zero need (Sierra, etc. basically non-Grizzly country and even there it'd be bear spray and smarts for me).

Bear Attacks: Their Causes and Avoidance (revised edition) [Paperback]
 Post Number: 3
Dabrador Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 9:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 01 2013, 9:07 pm)
" Do any of you carry a firearm?, Protection from wildlife"

it'd be bear spray and smarts for me

This is the best protection for ANY wildlife encounter. Anyone that says otherwise just isn't paying attention.
 Post Number: 4
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I turned my firearm into the Company Amourer over 40 years ago. No interest since.
 Post Number: 5
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No weapon for me either. I do carry bear spray if in bear country. Otherwise what wild animal is going to get me a chipmunk or a squirrel.
 Post Number: 6
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 9:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Guns are heavy and not terribly practical.  Bear spray is lighter and more efficient.
For what it's worth, I live and backpack in grizzly, wolf and cougar territory and have for decades.
The only time I usually carry is when I'm on an extended trip with pack animals.
OR, sometimes when I am backpacking alone or with another female in a more populated area.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 9:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've been backkpacking for over 40 years, mostly in black and grizzly country.  I have never carried or needed a gun.  Frankly, I consider the idea a little ridiculous.  Bear spray is with me when it's prudent.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yeah it's all good until they start eyeballing yah...

Attached Image
Attached Image
 Post Number: 9
paulbrown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 10:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sometimes if going with my wife .    Realistically i think its only been three times in many dozens of trips.

.45, .380

--------------
- The dude abides
 Post Number: 10
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 01 2013, 10:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Bear Spray

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 11
gunslinger Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

.44 mag is a good choice.

--------------
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
 Post Number: 12
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You're not going to get the discussion you want, but I'll play along...

What kind of bears?  There's a big difference between an eastern Black Bear and a Kodiak Brown.

For what it's worth, I can't see a .40 in a short barrel as a very good choice.  .40 is almost always found in JHP and a JHP will of course expand at the expense of penetration.  Being as bears are densely built creatures, bullet penetration to a vital organ isn't going to be easy under any circumstances with a handgun.  The short barrel is just costing you more velocity.

--------------
"Your number one philosophy for personal security should be a life long commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation."

The 3 Stupids Rule:

Don’t go to stupid places, with stupid people, to do stupid things.
 Post Number: 13
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I carry bear spray instead of a gun but if I were so worried about bears I thought I needed one, I wouldn't carry some pissant handgun. It would be a short-barreled 12ga pump shotgun with alternate loads of 000 buck and hollowpoint slugs with a sidesaddle holding another 3 of each.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 14
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This comes up every few months. A simple search would have given you all the info you needed.

Here is a thread from 2010 all four pages

Nothing has changed since then. I think on this forum you would be in the minority when it comes to carrying a gun

I do not and have no need for one while backpacking

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 15
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a friend who carries a 9mm with hollowpoints.
He's a little paranoid though...and I once saw him fire at a racoon because he freaked out.
I've always felt like while they do add a sense of security, they also make some people a little jumpy and end up desperately gripping to it without it ever leaving their side.
I've always felt more secure with a can o bear mace. Easier to use generally.
 Post Number: 16
Arizona Search for posts by this member.
Valhalla, I am coming

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(paulbrown @ Jan. 01 2013, 3:09 pm)
Sometimes if going with my wife .    Realistically i think its only been three times in many dozens of trips.

.45, .380

Those wives can be terribly hard to control out there, so I've heard, but take caution; usually a .38 will just make them madder and they will still get you. Bogey swore by a .45 so stick with that caliber.

As for us, we don't but I wished I had one to pop a couple caps into this sassy cactus wren on one trip...

Post Number: 17
sdsviet Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 11:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

if bear country and state allowed. either open or concealed (mainly concealed) glock 29 (4.5in barrel) with underwood 10mm 220gr heavy cast. besides that, probably never. you are also asking this question on the wrong forum. best bet is to hit up the concealcarry forum or site. cant remember exactly the sites name.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 02 2013, 5:22 am)
I carry bear spray instead of a gun but if I were so worried about bears I thought I needed one, I wouldn't carry some pissant handgun. It would be a short-barreled 12ga pump shotgun with alternate loads of 000 buck and hollowpoint slugs with a sidesaddle holding another 3 of each.

That'd be my option for a Barren Lands canoe trip: the Browns up there can be aggressive and with a canoe the weight isn't an issue. Still carry bear spray as well though.

As to what other forums to look to:  nothing in the personal security vein is going to do it: they will have NO idea what it takes to stop a bear. Try some hunting forums. I understand Elk hunters have a particular problem when they wring that "dinner bell" for the attuned Grizzly....
 Post Number: 19
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Only at the movies.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 20
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 4:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh yeah, sure. I carry a no-fail handgun.

It is an old non-working auto that I covered and filled with congealed bacon fat. If I am scared of a coyote following me or a bear sniffing around I throw it in the brush and can be 10 miles away by the time they are done licking it...

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 21
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 6:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When it is just my daughter and I, I carry either a .45 or .357, but not for the wildlife.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 22
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Jan. 02 2013, 5:22 am)

As to what other forums to look to:  nothing in the personal security vein is going to do it: they will have NO idea what it takes to stop a bear. Try some hunting forums. I understand Elk hunters have a particular problem when they wring that "dinner bell" for the attuned Grizzly....

Right about the self-defense crowd, I'll look in to the hunting forums.

(frihauf @ Jan. 02 2013, 6:25am)
When it is just my daughter and I, I carry either a .45 or .357, but not for the wildlife.

Ben

Who says wildlife is only of the 4 legged variety?

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 23
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Jan. 02 2013, 9:06 am)
I have a friend who carries a 9mm with hollowpoints.
He's a little paranoid though...and I once saw him fire at a racoon because he freaked out.

Your friend is the kind of person that screws it up for responsible gun owners.
I wouldn't want to be in the woods within a hundred miles of him/her.
You best be careful when hiking when that friend.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 24
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

357 mag for two legged predators.   I agree that the Alaska study shows that spray is more effective against bear.  However a well placed shot is 100% effective against anything.   If you are carrying and you don't go to the range at least once every other week you will lower your chances of hitting your target.  The firearm needs to be second nature.  And if like the poster above's friend you are shooting a things that go bump do us all a favor and sell your firearm and buy bear spray.  When I hear stuff like that I wonder if there should not be a IQ test before buying a firearm.
 Post Number: 25
Fatpacking Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 10:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I EDC when I am out and about except when hiking. When on the trail and out in the woods, I don't feel the need and wouldn't want the weight. It's bad enough I have to carry a gun plus 10+ pounds of other crap around my waist 40 hours a week.
 Post Number: 26
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 11:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Your friend is the kind of person that screws it up for responsible gun owners.
I wouldn't want to be in the woods within a hundred miles of him/her.
You best be careful when hiking when that friend.

This, I know all to well. Haven't been back out with him since.
To be fair, he is ex Navy. He's got some issues. I'll cut him some slack given the circumstances.
 Post Number: 27
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 9:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I live/hike/hunt/backpack in grizzly country.

Backpacking, I only carry bear spray.

Backpack-Hunting, obviously I have a rifle.

Packing out dead elk, bear spray with a 357 Ruger Security Six .357 stoked with 180 LBT's as back-up to spray.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 28
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 10:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My buddy, (retired), who goes on 90% of my trips always packs, but he loves pistols and carries concealed in NYS...He has never fired it or had it out in anger the past ten yrs I've been backpacking with him.  Always covers it up when near other folks too out of courtesy

I like pistols and old rifles too but not on me in the woods thank you.

My pal is a responsible 65+ year old retired Veep from a major bank......so I'll cut him some slack too

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 29
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 6:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

No gun. Bear spray and wits.

I hike in bear, big cat, coyote (4 legged and 2 legged) and javalina (wild boar-like peccary) country. Biggest fear I have in the backcountry is bees. Can't run from them, can't shoot them.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 30
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 10:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(desert dweller @ Jan. 03 2013, 6:20 pm)
Biggest fear I have in the backcountry is bees. Can't run from them, can't shoot them.

You just need something with a high capacity magazine and lots of time at the range   :D

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
68 replies since Jan. 01 2013, 9:01 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Do any of you carry a firearm?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions