2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Might look into updating the sleeping bag, Need info< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Mechrock Search for posts by this member.
Mechrock

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:37 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I started my camping gear with the BA Grouse Down 15F sleeping bag in my Profile pic. I'm not afraid to spend a little extra on something I know will have quality. I bought the BA thinking that was light at the time, but after educating myself though theses forums and other online sites, that is just a middle weight bag and not as effective as I thought. 15F is the lower limit(I've slept to 15F once with my jacket on. Was still cold.) and 26F is the comfort rating. (Would be warm if I could sleep on my back, but draft kept getting in from above.)

After reading, it seems as though a quilt is my best option since I'm a stomach and side sleeper. I have a 3/4 length BA insulated Air Core pad for winter and a Xframe for the warmer months with my Golite 1+ season.

I'm looking for a bag/quilt that can do 15F with just a base layer on and can be usable up to 50F. I feel I tend to sleep colder as well. I've been looking at the 10F Zpacks quilt, but I really don't know many sites that make quilts and what would be best for me. Could anyone here enlighten me some?

Thanks!

--------------
My Gear list: (I'm Rocco)
https://docs.google.com/spreads....ZGJTakE
Notice I have multiple tabs at the bottom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mechrock @ Jan. 02 2013, 6:37 pm)
Could anyone here enlighten me some?

Sure, check out enLIGHTened equipment.

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(STICK @ Jan. 02 2013, 7:42 pm)

(Mechrock @ Jan. 02 2013, 6:37 pm)
Could anyone here enlighten me some?

Sure, check out enLIGHTened equipment.

I actually follow you on Fbook and Youtube. haha
I saw your post and was looking at theses earlier today. Thanks!

--------------
 Post Number: 4
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tim really does make some great quilts. His top of the line (other than his cuben Epiphany...which I wouldn't suggest unless you are familiar and comfortable using a VBL style quilt) is the Revelation quilts. The Revelation X quilts are the same quality, except he uses "2nds" 30D material for the shell, although, due to this, he can offer them at a slightly lower price than the Revelation quilts.

If going the Revelation route, the 10D that he uses is very comfy next to skin, well, at least to me. I like it a lot, plus it (the material) is pretty dang light weight to boot! :)

If you are using it on the ground I would suggest the wide model, which is 56". I have a wide Prodigy quilt and it has lots of room for me to wiggle around under, yet still be covered, without the drafts. Speaking of which, I believe that Tim has redesigned his straps and they should be a lot better than before (although, I think he liked them as is...)

Anyway, he overstuffs his quilts 20% as a standard now, although, if you would like to add a little extra, you can also do so for $5/oz.

I have 2 quilts from him, and had a third. I have had great experiences with all 3 purchases. He was on top of his email responses, I received the quilts before expected and they have all been in great shape. I will admit, one of the quilts I received, one of the buttons came off. I simply emailed him and he actually sent me a bag of extra buttons and the tool to apply them. I replaced the one that came off and then just sent the rest of the stuff back to him.

Also, all 3 of the quilts I bought from him do not have the zipper on the bottom of the quilt. I asked him to use snaps instead and as a result, my quilts are lighter than listed. However, for a subfreezing quilt, I would probably go with the zipper...

Anyway, I highly suggest his quilts based on my own experiences with him and his quilts.

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 5
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 7:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Some others are Golite, Nunatak and Feathered Friends.
I have two Jacksrbetter quilts.  They're of good quality and, I think, a bit cheaper than Nunatak and FF.  Golite has some good prices but are out of the quilts until spring, I believe.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 6
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If 15 F is your target you can either get a 20 F quilt and ask for it to be overstuffed, or get a custom made with 3" baffles.

I take my Nunatak Arc Expedition down to 0 F by itself. It has 3.5" baffles and lofts up to 4". My 20 F Arc Alpinist has 2.5" baffles for comparison.

Nunatak makes beautiful quilts but they are a bit spendy. EE will save you money and I hear that they are going to stop using the karo baffles this year. I would wait for the horizontal baffles.

The Jacks 'R' Better Old Rag Mtn Quilt could be just right for you and comes at a decent price point. It has horizontal baffling.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 7
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Those EE quilts look nice.

Dumb dumb question for all you quilt users out there:

How do you keep the quilt  from simply sliding off you at night?  I tend to flip and flop and migrate all over until stopped by one of the walls of the tent...usually face first.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 8
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 9:35 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get a sleeping bag.

Western Mountaineering Versalite would fit your needs perfectly.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 9
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Jan. 03 2013, 6:43 am)
How do you keep the quilt  from simply sliding off you at night?  I tend to flip and flop and migrate all over until stopped by one of the walls of the tent...usually face first.

It stays in place the same as your quilt at home does. People tend to turn under their blankets, not with them. But there are straps that may be used to keep it attached too. I use them with my cold-weather quilts but cut them off my warm-weather models.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 10
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 1:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The price point on the Enlightened quilts are really nice. It seems as though I'm getting the same warmth at a tiny weight increase.

This seems like my best option to get a 10F quilt since 15F is the lowest I'll probably go in NC. Also, does anyone know how true they are the their ratings? They have a little more down then the z-packs bag, but wouldn't a quilt be a little bit colder by the nature of it?

Any other recommendations or changes?

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Got my quilt!
Made an in depth video for those looking.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 9:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jan. 03 2013, 9:35 am)
Get a sleeping bag.

Western Mountaineering Versalite would fit your needs perfectly.

This!  they make the best bags.  And if you want a quilt, just unzip the bag all the way, and turn it into a quilt.  You wont sweat this way if you get too warm.  You can also always zip up if it gets too cold

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 13
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 10:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

https://docs.google.com/spreads....n#gid=0

Easy, quick reference to all things Quilt, hammock, and tarp.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 14
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 10:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

lovin the spreadsheet... thanks for sharing, zeke

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
13 replies since Jan. 02 2013, 7:37 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Might look into updating the sleeping bag
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions