2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Most durable down coat ever?, Weight is not a factor< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
EndtheLie Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's the most durable down coat/brand out there? Is there one that is made for really heavy use and totally free from feather/down leaks?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not trying to be sarcastic: Yes, Put a rainshell over the top of your down jacket. I'm an off-trail hiker who snowshoes through thick brush often in winter. Mind you, I'm usually just hiking in the rainshell and only use the down layer underneath when I get to camp. It's too dang hot to hike in a down jacket unless I don't have a pack on.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
vigilguy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Canada Goose brand.  The real McCoy version, not the asian knockoffs.

http://www.canada-goose.com
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With weight not a factor why even bother with down?
 Post Number: 5
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Woolrich 60/40 shell.  Or TNF . Good for standing around at football games when it's 400 below.  Not much else. but damn tough and warm.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 02 2013, 9:16 pm)
With weight not a factor why even bother with down?

What would you say is better then?
 Post Number: 7
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To beat the crap out of with weight not an issue and no temperature range or activity level specified?

Probably a Woolrich or Carhartts parka. Not much is tougher than wool.
 Post Number: 8
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

LLBean, Cabelas.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 02 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 02 2013, 9:41 pm)
To beat the crap out of with weight not an issue and no temperature range or activity level specified?

Probably a Woolrich or Carhartts parka. Not much is tougher than wool.

Sorry should have specified hiking and backpacking in colder weather.. don't know if Carhartt would be warm enough but those are awesome I need to get a new one.
 Post Number: 10
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 6:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Back in the mid/late 90's I had to work outside in MN during the winter. We all had Carhartt Arctic Parkas. Down (and the shells made to hold it) would last maybe 3 days.

But I sure as heck never took that backpacking. Why do you want a tough coat for hiking? Do you wear your parka while you hike?

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Jan. 03 2013, 6:45 am)
Back in the mid/late 90's I had to work outside in MN during the winter. We all had Carhartt Arctic Parkas. Down (and the shells made to hold it) would last maybe 3 days.

But I sure as heck never took that backpacking. Why do you want a tough coat for hiking? Do you wear your parka while you hike?

I tend to hike in areas with a lot of things that like to grab on to down coats and rip them. Yes, I do wear really warm coats (is there something that makes a parka different than an ultra-warm down coat?) while hiking because I run really cold.

Unless I'm deliberately moving as fast as possible and moving my arms a lot to build up heat, I tend to be pretty darn cold.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Well then this should do you:

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp....ngId=-1

--------------
 Post Number: 13
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 6:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

i have to agree with the canada goose and carhartt recommendations if you want max warmth and durability, independent of weight.  or you could try winter jackets intended for hunters.
 Post Number: 14
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a canvas chore coat. (Tractor Supply Company)
Put a fleece under it and I am good to about 20 degrees. I have done to teens and been OK. Not great, but OK. I also don't like the cold.

Take the fleece off and comfortable at 50 or so.
It is canvas shell, polyester fill and lined. Tough as nails and washes in the laundry.

I wore my last one out after 10 years or so. All the fluff fell to the hems so my butt was warm, but that was about it. The shell never ripped, even though I used it for everything from automechanics to painting. They are designed for daily wear on farms and ranches.

But it's not down.
 Post Number: 15
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 1:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess I can't quite relate because if I am hiking at a good pace, there's no way I could be wearing a heavy winter coat unless it was 20 below - and even then, probably lighter layers.

I agree with High Sierra Fan, down might not be a necessary insulating material if weight isn't an issue. For durability, as mentioned, the Carthartts and Canada goose (but you'll pay plenty for the latter).
 Post Number: 16
LordTemplar Search for posts by this member.
LordTemplar

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 6:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Duluth Trading Company makes a down parka that is good to -20º F and its outer shell is firehose canvas.  It is the toughest down jacket I have ever seen and I have four shelled down lined coats.

I highly recommend the Duluth.  It is heavy though, but I like the weight.

--------------
"Break On Through To The Other Side"--Jim Morrison
 Post Number: 17
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 2:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Jan. 03 2013, 9:11 am)
Well then this should do you:

http://www.carhartt.com/webapp....ngId=-1

Thanks for the link.  It's not my thread, but it piqued my interest after I damaged a flimsier down coat during field work last Spring.  Thin shells and steel hardware just don't mix well.

(First patched hole of several that week.)

Those are affordable, and might fit the bill for me.  I wouldn't foresee needing one while hiking (even in the coldest temps, when hiking a couple fleece layers and a hardshell do the trick for me), but working stationary on an ice sheet, or driving snowmobiles long distances, a good durable down parka is wonderful.  I'm gonna look into the Duluth jackets Mr. Templar noted above as well.  Thanks again!

- Mike

...and "bump", FWIW.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 2:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Mike, they make an insulated overall (pants) that works in conjunction with them too. Same materials and tough enough to handle construction sites. I still have my pants but got the parka stolen when I took it off to come inside at a site. My wife was SOOO mad at me!

--------------
 Post Number: 19
TheRambler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

llbean waxed cotton down jacket. I absolutely love mine and use it all winter long on my trips. A real bomb proof down jacket.
 Post Number: 20
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 6:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jan. 04 2013, 10:18 am)
Thin shells and steel hardware just don't mix well.

^this^

+1

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 21
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(SmokeyBear @ Jan. 04 2013, 1:53 am)
I guess I can't quite relate because if I am hiking at a good pace, there's no way I could be wearing a heavy winter coat unless it was 20 below - and even then, probably lighter layers.

My thoughts exactly.

That said assuming you want durability and lots of warmth and don't care about weight I really don't see the need for down.  Wear a durable outside layer like Carthartts and use as many layers of pile under it as you need.

I guess that hunting clothing from places like Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops would meet your requirements as you stated them, but I personally wouldn't want to hike in most of them.
 Post Number: 22
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 2:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTromper @ Jan. 06 2013, 10:04 am)
That said assuming you want durability and lots of warmth and don't care about weight I really don't see the need for down.  

Because weight != bulk. There are times I'm not too worried about weight, but being able to move remains a priority. Down is warmer than fleece and more squishable (is that a word?) for moving around, so it's great for working in reallyCold. That many pile layers would leave me with my arms hanging out at a permanent 45* angle.  :laugh:
21 replies since Jan. 02 2013, 8:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Most durable down coat ever?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions