2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Canister stove failures?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 5:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do they happen?  Is it rare?  I'm talking about malfunctions, not cold-related fuel issues.  I've never had one fail on me and, for the last 10 years, I've been using the same cheap Primus canister stove.  It always works.

I recently upgraded the Primus with a Monatauk Gnat and, aside from trying it out at home, have only used it in the field once and probably won't have another chance until an 8-day hike with my son.  Suddenly I'm wondering whether I've just been lucky until now and maybe I should take a back-up... which seems stupid since the point of getting the Gnat was to save a few ounces.

I'm being paranoid... right?

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
rpcv Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 5:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used an old camping gaz one for fourteen years without any problems.  It works just fine, but is relegated to the closet since the canisters (the old blue ones) aren't sold in the U.S. anymore.

--------------
Silver Spring Wanderer
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never had a problem, apart from being too cold.
 Post Number: 4
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 5:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've had at least one canister fail to reseal* after taking the burner off (new, then only slightly used and for the next meal there was minimal pressure left within, ambient temp in the 70's), nothing has ever "broken" on the valve/burner side of things.

* With the original Bluet system the canister was punctured through metal and was never removed until empty so that wasn't an issue.
 Post Number: 5
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 5:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rpcv @ Jan. 03 2013, 5:06 pm)
I used an old camping gaz one for fourteen years without any problems.  It works just fine, but is relegated to the closet since the canisters (the old blue ones) aren't sold in the U.S. anymore.

Ramsey Outdoor in Succasunna, NJ still has some.
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've nver had any problems with either a MSR pocket rocket or a Snowpeak Gigapower stove. I've had more problems with white gas stoves than cannister stoves.as there are more parts that can break or things to go wrong.
 Post Number: 7
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 6:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My pocketrocket is about 8 yrs old.  Only issue was a pea sized chunk of carbon in the tube below the burner head.  Dont know how that happened, but it dropped out when I unscrewed the burner head and works just great.  A hand warmer helps as well as keeping the canister in sleeping bag and under jacket

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 8
ol-zeke Search for posts by this member.
Clear Creek

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 6:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used a Pocket Rocket for about 8 years with no problems.  I sold it for $20 and it is still running well 5 years later.  

--------------
Everything I know, I learned by doing it wrong at least twice.

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth."  Steve McQueen
 Post Number: 9
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 8:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the feedback.  I'm going to put it in the "very unlikely" category and not worry about it.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 10
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 12:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to occasionally have a strange problem with a Primus Micron, where it would make a loud roaring sound and the burner would turn bright red-orange, and there would be little visible flame.  The last time it did this, it melted the piezo ignitor. For some reason,  I haven't had the problem since removing the ignitor. I stopped using Coleman brand canisters after the lindahl valve on one stuck closed, forcing plastic into nipple of a lantern as I screwed it onto the canister, rendering the lantern useless. I bought an inexpensive Stansport cannister stove a few years back that would make loud, disconcerting popping noises while running. Needless to say, I returned it.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 11
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used an off brand from Herb Phillipsons...Saved a $1.50....big freakin' deal....and it was noticeably different in the cold.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 12
DieselNut Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Not to hijack but I found a stash of blue canisters...
 Post Number: 13
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 11:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have killed a canister stove. But let me add that it was MY fault.

The first two times, Marzsit saved my butt. Lets just say I had bought off-brand cheap fuel canisters, they fouled my Primus stove badly. He was able to clean them both times. And told me he'd not do it again...so I knocked it off and went to only name brand after that (this was years ago). Having said that, I only use MSR and Snowpeak fuel for this reason.

Now, how did I actually kill that poor, poor Primus canister stove? I got cocky. It was maybe 6 or 7 years old, had seen use nearly every week for that time. Then I was doing a bit too much on it - I was using it for above what it was designed for. Talking 3 Liter pots, heavy as can be. The clincher was the heat diffuser, while making pan scones. Oopsies.

I melted part of the stove. It was slumped to the side. I knew I shouldn't have been doing that. But hey, the other 25 or so times it had been fine :-P

Heat diffusers should never, ever be used on a canister stove that sits on the fuel canister. NEVER EVER. Especially on a hot stove.

So yeah, it is hard to kill one.

No cheap fuel.
No heat diffusers (salvaged from a backpacker oven)
No heat screens wrapped tightly around.

Don't feel too sad for Ol' Sparky. It burnt me really good in 2003, 10 years later I still have a scar on my wrist from that. It deserved to get melted! Hehe......

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 14
rpcv Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 9:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

@DieselNut:  I wish I had seen that 18 months ago when we were trying to find fuel for the stove.  I probably would have bought them out.  We must have gone to every outdoor store in our area and I did quite a bit of looking online (although I was pretty sure they couldn't be shipped - I was more trying to figure out what was going on).  We ended up buying a new stove because we couldn't find any of the blue canisters.

--------------
Silver Spring Wanderer
 Post Number: 15
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 10:28 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DieselNut @ Jan. 04 2013, 8:56 pm)

Not to hijack but I found a stash of blue canisters...

I would have bought them out for my Camping Gaz lantern. I loved that thing for winter. Would go from mega bright to just a glow to keep the edge of cold off.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 16
Liling Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 9:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've found canister stoves very reliable, also in terms of the mechanism. Backpacking stoves have caused technical problems but I've found the gas bottles a bullet proof system in all of its many forms.

--------------
Travel Addict
 Post Number: 17
nogods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 9:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As to your original question, if an 8 day trip would be ruined or cut short by a failed stove, then bring the backup.  If the added weight would ruin the enjoyment of the trip then leave the extra stove home and take the chance.
 Post Number: 18
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I personally wouldn't bother.  Use it within the specs of what it's designed for (as sarbar poignantly points out), and you'll be fine.

I've used Pocket Rockets and others for long trips without issues.  The only time I've damaged one was a JetBoil that I didn't use correctly.  Instead of attaching the JetBoil pot, I tried to put a large (4L) aluminum pot on top of it (just set it there), which overheated the stove and melted some of the plastic supports.  Totally my own fault.  The stove still works fine, just looks a little worse for the wear.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 19
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 3:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Been using a Pocket Rocket for years.  Never had any kind of problem with it.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 20
Gabby Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 6:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Never had a problem with any of my canister stoves, which include a fairly large number or both "canister top" and "remote".

Only problem I ever had was with the SP Giga, which failed to bring a couple of cups of water to a boil on a particularly windy day, and before I realized that there is no known stove that does not need protection from the wind. On a very windy day, that usually includes something more than just an aluminum windscreen, if you're going to be successful with a small stove. Of course, that would come under the head of "poor experience" rather than "stove failure".
 Post Number: 21
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 26 2013, 7:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Gabby @ Feb. 26 2013, 4:30 pm)
Of course, that would come under the head of "poor experience" rather than "stove failure".

As they say, "Good judgement is learned from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement."

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 22
CampinCarl Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The notorious piezo igniter on my Jetboil had to be fixed twice before I simply gave up.  Now I just carry matches.  The stove itself has worked great, the problem was just that darn igniter.

--------------
"Everybody needs beauty as well as bread, places to play in and pray in, where Nature may heal and cheer and give strength to body and soul alike." - John Muir
 Post Number: 23
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 7:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have heard some stories about the Jetboil Sol Ti's failing... Here is a link to Hikin' Jim's blog (Adventures in Stoving) that documents some of the failures:

Titanium Jetboil Sol Ti -- Caution

And just so ya know, I have a Sol Ti, I have used it a number of times and have not experienced any problems with mine.

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 24
HikingJim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 9:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Jetboil has done some redesign on their Sol Ti pot, so hopefully they've made melting of the heat exchanger much less likely.

For me, I'd probably just get the aluminum Sol.  It's only about one ounce heavier if you do an "apples to apples" comparison, and it's $30 less.  Jetboil lists out a greater weight savings, but the same set of components isn't used between the two.

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
 Post Number: 25
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 10:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have been using canister stoves since 1974. No problems. Have been using the Jetboil SolTi for the last 1.5 years. No problems.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 26
HikingJim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 27 2013, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I started doing a more thorough reply to this topic when I realized that I was basically writing a blog post.

So, on the topic, I give you:
Canister Stove Reliabilty and Maintenance

Hope it's helpful,

HJ

--------------
Adventures In Stoving
25 replies since Jan. 03 2013, 5:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Canister stove failures?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions