2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: car top carrier?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 6:55 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

So when we take the kid camping, and his stroller, we've found we need to put some gear atop our Jeep Compass.  We've experimented with strapping the stroller on top (created a lot of drag) and buying a cheap car top bag and filling it with gear (did okay, but don't think it's very durable so we returned it).  Thinking about getting a hard car top carrier - Thule seems to be the brand most available, but there are some cheaper ones out there.  If you have one, which model did you buy, and how do you like it?  We would like one that's easy to get on/off, aerodynamic for better gas mileage, and affordable.

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an old Thule Weekender. I don't use it much, but it's just right when I need it.  The new ones have nifty clamps that make installation and removal a lot easier than threading a bunch of long screws through holes.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We bought one at Sears about 10 years ago.  They also had Thule available, with demo models of each.  We looked at them both very closely and couldn't see a bit of difference between them, so we bought the significantly cheaper Sears brand.  We use it a lot and it's still in good shape.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 4
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 7:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thule or Yakima.  I have an old Thule.  Big enough to carry a couple bodies in.  Depends on what bars you have.  Although they are adaptable.  Both are good.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 10:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have an older Thule that I bought for a $100 at a garage sale.  Not as convenient as the newer ones as far as attachment is concerned, but it works fine.  It's just the right size to fit my body in comfortably, so I have requested that I be buried in it.  Perfect fit and a whole lot cheaper than a coffin.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a soft top carrier and hard top. The hard top is easier in bad weather to load. Otherwise, I actually prefer the soft top one. It holds a bit more and can handle awkwardly shaped items much easier. The hardtop one I have has straps instead of being bolted to the frame. I got it cheap on Craigslist but it still works. It's apparently some model they used to sell at Sears.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 7
johnq62 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 03 2013, 11:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sears Xcargo 70?/thing has been used 10,000x of miles of travel... I spent maybe 6$ to replace all attaching bolts to stainless steel about 3 years ago.... waterpruf cheaper then Thule/Yak toppers.
Last summer we added a hitch hauler and love the bag that Amazon had to offer for most bags(huge watertight bag,dub zipper water tight as heel... well worth the back -up problem my g/f has :)
 Post Number: 8
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 12:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(johnq62 @ Jan. 03 2013, 8:59 pm)
Sears Xcargo 70?/thing has been used 10,000x of miles of travel... I spent maybe 6$ to replace all attaching bolts to stainless steel about 3 years ago.... waterpruf cheaper then Thule/Yak toppers.
Last summer we added a hitch hauler and love the bag that Amazon had to offer for most bags(huge watertight bag,dub zipper water tight as heel... well worth the back -up problem my g/f has :)

Yep. That's the one. I paid $40 for it.

In regards to my soft top one, I looked it up online. It's this one: http://www.amazon.com/Sherpak....46011_1

I think I paid $100 locally for mine. It's going on 15 years now and still has plenty of life left in it.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 9
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do they make an ultralite version for the gram weenies out there??

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 10
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 10:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do you have a receiver hitch? In a case like that, I like the platform carrier that goes on the hitch, and it doesn't screw your mileage. Plus they're WAY cheaper than anything with Thule or Yakima printed on it; <$100.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
 Post Number: 11
ogg Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 11:59 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a soft sided carrier made by Inno that has some of the advantages of both hard and soft sided carriers. It has a folding, hard floor and collapsible frame. It can be folded flat while on top of the car if it is empty or folded in half when off the car for easy storage. It has a mounting system that is very easy to use and was cheaper, lighter and more aerodynamic than most of the hard carriers in my price range that I looked at.

Post Number: 12
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 12:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Browse your local CL for one. I picked up a once-used Yakima Skybox for $200.
 Post Number: 13
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 04 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(skinewmexico @ Jan. 04 2013, 10:11 am)
Do you have a receiver hitch? In a case like that, I like the platform carrier that goes on the hitch, and it doesn't screw your mileage. Plus they're WAY cheaper than anything with Thule or Yakima printed on it; <$100.

If you use one of these be aware that if it blocks the view of your license plate you can be ticketed.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 14
johnq62 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 05 2013, 12:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

skinnewmex, Yes, thats why I upgraded to a "hitch hauler" with a "water proof" bag....  amazon.
I think I paid around 150$ for the hauler,bag,netting on a combo deal.
I found hooked rachet straps  cut straps to where I need them(4 for8$) work better then a single net to hold all or anything we use it for!
BTW: that bag they kick into the deal is really waterproof and dust proof on dust coveres forest roads
 Post Number: 15
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 3:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We thought about the hitch kind - we'd have to get the hitch, and then I'd be worried about it blocking access to the hatchback.  Seems easier to put stuff on top.

I'm going to start browsing Craig's List...

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
 Post Number: 16
skinewmexico Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 10:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(tarol @ Jan. 06 2013, 2:43 pm)
We thought about the hitch kind - we'd have to get the hitch, and then I'd be worried about it blocking access to the hatchback.  Seems easier to put stuff on top.

I'm going to start browsing Craig's List...

Probably would block access, but depends on the car. I just know a roof, even an empty ski rack, hammers your gas mileage. I seem to remember testing from years ago showed an empty ski rack cutting mileage 15-20%. But you do what you gotta do.

--------------
Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe. - Thomas Sowell
15 replies since Jan. 03 2013, 6:55 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply car top carrier?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions