2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tracking groups of hikers, Looking for system to track groups< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Mileage Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 1:22 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Im looking for a system that could be used to track groups of hikers from a base camp. Our school has an annual camp that involves groups of hikers walking around a circular route on a large farm. They need to get to a camp area each night but sometimes get lost and get into the wrong valley or ridge. What is normally a 4-5mile hike end up being 8-9 which sucks for the kids.

We are looking for a system that can track their whereabout from the base camp. The hike routes are not more than 5miles from the base camp or the service road that runs through the farm. If a group gets lost or is way off track we need to be able to find them and go get them back on track.

We've looked at something like the Garmin Astro that is linked to dog collars for tracking the whereabout of hunting dogs but were wondering if there is anythin specific that us applicable for hiking.

And yes I know they should use a map better or use a gps but they get a bit retarded sometime and even the staff accompanying them loose track somethimes. We are looking for a way to make it safer for them.

Thanks
Jamie
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 1:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Garmin Rhino

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 1:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jan. 23 2013, 1:30 am)
Garmin Rhino

That's a start, but the stated max range of five miles can be a big challenge for any unlicensed terrestrial radio, especially in unfavorable terrain.

I hesitate to say it, but this seems like a good application for SPOT.

That said, inability to properly read a GPS or map is beyond inexcusable for anyone who takes responsibility for a group of this nature.  I don't mean to pick on anybody, but depending on electronics to make for deficiencies in this area is begging for trouble, and in this application, a notable liability concern.
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 6:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Giving people a GPS or some other form of electronic dodad is still going to require some form of eduction of the users of it. A map is relatively easier to use and read IMHO. Otherwise how about putting up some sort of temporary flagging (use surveying tape/ribbon tied to trees) for them to follow. Although I suppose  with that someone could be mean and rip the flagging down or change it to mess with others who may follow.
 Post Number: 5
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 7:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Is there cell phone service in the area with a 3G or 4G data service?

If so there are apps that can be installed on smart phones that will do this. Endomondo is one.

But in reality the leaders should be able to read a map and compass or be able to find there position on a map based on GPS coordinates

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 6
Mileage Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 7:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok thanks for the replies so far.

I agree that all the leaders should be good at reading a map and compass which most of them are.

We are just looking to reduce the risk of something going wrong, and perhaps heading a group off if they are going to go way off course.

Im also looking into some smaller GPS units like the Etrex that we could put the routes into and let them follow the breadcrumbs.
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 10:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I participate in an annual event that has some things in common. It's a roughly 4-mile loop on private land and most of the attendees are not regular hikers.  Due to the sheer numbers (~2000 last year, with start times spread out over half a day), hikers are given numbers and the organizers set up checkpoints every half mile or so where every passing hiker is recorded.  They're quite effective at figuring out where and when somebody got off track and rounding up the strays.  

For a smaller total, you could it lot less formally, such as skipping the numbers  and having only a group leader check in.  One advantage of having multiple checkpoints is that they can be close enough together to have good radio connectivity with each other and presumably with any wayward group leaders.
 Post Number: 8
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 1:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If they got a cell phone, I think Google Latitude is still in play.

I like EndoMondo, too
 Post Number: 9
EGreno Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 3:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Garmin Astro range in the woods isn't more than a couple of miles.
 Post Number: 10
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Jan. 23 2013, 5:00 am)
Is there cell phone service in the area with a 3G or 4G data service?

If so there are apps that can be installed on smart phones that will do this. Endomondo is one.

This seems like a sensible low-cost option IF the area has good cell coverage.

Up to the OP to determine that first, of course.

My $.02 anyway, not worth a penny more than you paid for it.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 11
CenAZwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 5:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mileage @ Jan. 23 2013, 1:22 am)
. . . but they get a bit " " sometime . . .

Poor choice of word there Jamie.  I hope you are not passing on your lack of sensitivity to the kids.
 Post Number: 12
frihauf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 5:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Definitely SPOT.  We have used one on more than one occasion to allow a buddy to find our campsite after work or even in the middle of the night.   Combined with a GPS is very accurate.

Ben

--------------
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."  Ben Franklin
 Post Number: 13
Ginseng Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 1:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Mileage @ Jan. 23 2013, 1:22 am)
And yes I know they should use a map better or use a gps but they get a bit retarded sometime and even the staff accompanying them loose track somethimes. We are looking for a way to make it safer for them.

Thanks
Jamie

sorry, but when will real outdoor skill training take?

IMO, a good example of the types that shpould stay home. These folks are an accident waitiing to happen.

--------------
Walking since 1962
 Post Number: 14
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 2:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"We are looking for a way to make it safer for them. "

Mandate they have the necessary skills through a certification test and put in place a zero tolerance for "loosing track" when there are other people's children involved would be a good start.

Secondarily, tracking is what SPOT's do. Though expensive when the annual tracking subscription is added in (and it's mandatory) you do get a real time glimpse of where the unit is located.
http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=111

Presuming the basecamp has an internet connection and or cellphone reception (for a smartphone or cellular data iPad)

Plan "C" for the truly inept? RFID chip the leaders and distribute chip readers around the property with a reporting feature. Biomark makes a nice line and if it works for fish I expect it would work for your "leaders".

http://www.biomark.com
 Post Number: 15
gregkeller Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 4:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know with my iphone, if i get service in a location, i can drop a pin in the map program wherever the gps figures out I am, and then i can text or email the location of the pin to anyone.  That's what i do when i want to let my wife know where i am.  She knows that she won't get a text with my location every night because i'm not going to always get cell service, but in a small area, if there is service this would work, just require them to send you their every hour, or half hour, whatever.
 Post Number: 16
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes, available cell service would open up a slew of lower cost alternatives.
 Post Number: 17
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

As someone who takes adults into the wilderness... I wouldn't touch that event with a 200 mile pole without leaders who can actually lead, navigate, etc.

Maybe litigious California has made me shy of this sort of thing... maybe the fact that I happen to work with kids in the day job, and be versed in search and rescue, and how kids and adults behave differently when lost... but, a big fat UH UH no way from me. It's hard enough to get fully fledged, middle aged (and older) normally-rational adults to pay attention to navigation and safety issues.

Either get out there and put up signs and flags and whatnot, or train those "leaders."

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
16 replies since Jan. 23 2013, 1:22 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tracking groups of hikers
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions