2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: MOYG Ice Claws< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 1:42 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Have a trip in Feb on some lakes in ADK. Figured I better have a set of these for Paul and I.

Pretty simple to make. The cord is long enough to wear around my neck and have them dangle by my hands under my jacket or shirt

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 2
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Jan. 06 2013, 1:42 pm)
Have a trip in Feb on some lakes in ADK. Figured I better have a set of these for Paul and I.

Pretty simple to make. The cord is long enough to wear around my neck and have them dangle by my hands under my jacket or shirt

Nice!

You should sell them on Etsy  :p
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 2:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cool!  I hope you never have to use them.
 Post Number: 4
bad knees Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 3:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

At the risk of sounding stupid, what are they for?

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 5
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 4:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://lakeice.squarespace.com/ice-claws/

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 5:18 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's what I figured.  We had 5 snow mobile ears  go thru the same pond at the same time. 1 got out.  His mom was recovered.  Still looking for the rest. When we play hockey on the pond, I bring a 30 foot tow rope just in case.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 7
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We used to play pond hockey all the time, but we also had consistently cold temps for extended periods of time back then.

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 7:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jan. 06 2013, 5:36 pm)
We used to play pond hockey all the time, but we also had consistently cold temps for extended periods of time back then.

Back then?  We used to drive cars on the lake!  Now up here in Maine, we are lucky if we can skate at all.  Getting warmer every year.

--------------
Nature bats last!

Post Number: 9
charadeur Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Jan. 06 2013, 7:03 pm)

Back then?  We used to drive cars on the lake!  Now up here in Maine, we are lucky if we can skate at all.  Getting warmer every year.

Same in Michigan.  I used to put spikes on my motorcycle and take it out on the ice.  I don't even think it got thick enough to ice fish on last year.  Those people who go out with just two or three inches are always getting in trouble.
 Post Number: 10
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 8:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Glad to see you are being saftey conscious and made some ice awls for when you are on lake ice. I have taught Ice Rescue for 8 yrs now to Firefighters, Police and Conservation officers and I teach  how to use them in the class. Gald to see you made them out of wood so they will float if need be. In my class I show the students how some commercial ones are not that good as they sink like a rock. Whereas I have some others that are nice and float and have retractable covers that cover the spike or the awl. Stay safe out there on the ice.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

About 8 miles from here, two teenagers went missing tonight after apparently breaking through the ice.  :(
 Post Number: 12
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 4:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just heard that. What were they thinking. NJ has not been cold enough to from 4 or 5 inches of ice on the lakes

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 13
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 7:39 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very nice...Adirondack toothpicks  :)

Where ya headed, whatcha doin?

BTW, nice shots of Pharaoh Lake...one of my favorite places up here...I still laugh when I think of the slog in one day, (we were packed extremely heavy) and seeing a row boat on my way in.

Did you stay at the lean to just past the bridge??

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 07 2013, 11:21 pm)
About 8 miles from here, two teenagers went missing tonight after apparently breaking through the ice.  :(

Unfortunately, it happened more or less as originally reported.  Too bad they didn't have ice claws instead of a cell phone.    :(
 Post Number: 15
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 7:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bad knees @ Jan. 06 2013, 7:03 pm)

True.  Lake Erie used to freeze.

--------------
 Post Number: 16
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 08 2013, 6:40 pm)

(big_load @ Jan. 07 2013, 11:21 pm)

Unfortunately, it happened more or less as originally reported.  Too bad they didn't have ice claws instead of a cell phone.    :(

:(

--------------
 Post Number: 17
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 1:20 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The nail head looks just a bit too short (?)
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 2:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eggs
Disregard the previous comment.
I had a think about that and a look on the Net and most seem to be a bit longer and sharper however I see that you have opted for a safer not in use option.
They look to be at least 5mm long and realistically you are not going to get all of that inside the ice anyway...
Still, I hope you never have to use them.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 11:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When you use them to don't do a wind up to set them in the ice. As you can fracture/crack the ice just like using an old fashioned ice pick. You just want to do a light jab in and think of using them like climbing a ladder. Plus you want to get your body out as flat as possible and your feet kicking to get yourself up on the ice and then once most of your body is up and out of the water roll away from the hole. Be sure to get out and go back on the ice to shore the same way you came in as you know it is strong enough to support your weight.
 Post Number: 20
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 5:23 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

QC Is 4-5 inches thick enough for a person to walk on on a lake. I think that is what I saw on the net.

Franco. They are out about 10-12mm (if I got the conversion right or 1/2" if not) each is a bit different. I eyeballed them when I set them up. But just measured a set for the fun of it

If we do't get more cold weather soon I'll have to bring my canoe instead of snowshoes on the trip in Feb

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 7:52 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eggs. Yes 4-5 inches of good CLEAR ice is strong enough, The problem is there are other types of ice like snow ice, and candled ice, etc. And even though you may have 4-5 inches of one of these they are weaker types of ice, soyou couold break thru.
 Post Number: 22
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 9:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Charadeur - What part of Mi are you in??

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 6:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eggs
That is plenty...
I was guessing by looking at the size of the L .
A mate made his temporary version from Easton 8" pegs after having fallen through the ice and having used the pedals of his bike (Pugsley) to pull himself up a frozen river bank.
That was after he had pulled himself and the bike out of the water...
22 replies since Jan. 06 2013, 1:42 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply MOYG Ice Claws
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions