2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 3123>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: advice on new gps to replace stolen one, good gps for hiking and uh, driving< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
damnedjose Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 06 2013, 9:46 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

any advice on best way to replace my gps which was stolen from my car while i was hunting mushrooms? they smashed into another car; they were nice to me and merely stole stuff. i was perfectly happy with my garmin legend hcx, loaded with city navigator. i liked the small size, GREAT battery life, good sensitivity (except in canyons).

i can either replace it, as cheaply as possible, and hopefully load back on my old city navigator, or if new gps units are that much better, go new. no, i have no insurance money coming. but a new gps better be doing some great new trix --- it will cost a lot PLUS the cost of maps can be high.

legend hcx is about the lowest model i'd consider. i use it for directions around town, and it actually works reasonably well at that. and i want maps.

that being said, i had at one point considered - i think it was magellan - correction: delorme. i'd heard their software or interface was clunky. even clunkier than garmin....... maybe i will check on gps web sites.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 5:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry about the $assholes that took your stuff

If you main use is maps around town. Do you have a smart phone my any chance. #1 app most people use there smart phone for is Maps. Google maps work exceptionally well for turn by turn navigation.

But You have to have cell phone data coverage to start a new route.

I have an older Garmin 60 CSx which is nice but I've never used it for city navigation

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
TheRambler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 5:42 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Its really easy to recover a stolen GPS? You call police and file a report, call garmin and file a report and give them the serial number of the unit. They will have it located and police dispatched to the location the next time it is used.

Provided you wrote down your serial number somewhere.

I had a unit stolen a couple of years back, and had it recovered in about 72 hours.
 Post Number: 4
DonTom Search for posts by this member.
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 7:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TheRambler @ Jan. 07 2013, 2:42 am)
Its really easy to recover a stolen GPS? You call police and file a report, call garmin and file a report and give them the serial number of the unit. They will have it located and police dispatched to the location the next time it is used.

Provided you wrote down your serial number somewhere.

I had a unit stolen a couple of years back, and had it recovered in about 72 hours.

That won't work with most GPS units. What did you have that got recovered, a GPS in a cell phone or tablet or something like that?

-Don-

--------------
-Don- South San Francisco, CA or Cold Springs Valley, NV (near Reno).
 Post Number: 5
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 7:47 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(damnedjose @ Jan. 06 2013, 6:46 pm)
any advice on best way to replace my gps which was stolen from my car while i was hunting mushrooms?

By looking at your thread title, you're going to need two units.

If you find a good one for driving, it won't be all that great for hiking and vice versa.

There's countless units out there these days. But I generally like Garmin units for driving and Delorme for hiking (with Delorme Topo maps--the best GPS maps out there, IMO).

-Don-

--------------
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Since you were okay with the smaller size one of the new  Etrex's might fit your bill and they are on the lower end of the pricing. You'd need to check their compatibility with your older software/maps with Garmin.

The 10, for $110, has a monochrome display, the 20, for $180 has color.

http://www.rei.com/product/825490/garmin-etrex-10-gps

http://www.rei.com/product/825491/garmin-etrex-20-gps

Personally the live traffic updating has me preferring a cellphone's maps for driving over the static GPS units. I probably refer to the traffic display ten or twenty times the simple map function outside of when I'm traveling in a new city.
 Post Number: 7
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 12:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Still use the 60csx, pretty decent in canyons, under trees.  Garmins 24K topos are pretty good.  Look at the 62 series, but don't get the one with topo already on it.  Friend has a touch screen Garmin but not real trilled with it. Get a vehicle one for your car.
 Post Number: 8
TheRambler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 2:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Depending on when the unit in question was made. Most GPS units made after 2009 have a tracking chip in them, whether it is advertised or not. If the GPS unit is on it can be pinged and the chip "activated" and send your position back to the system. I had a garmin rhino stolen, and like i said it was recovered in about 72 hours.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Jan. 07 2013, 7:47 am)

(damnedjose @ Jan. 06 2013, 6:46 pm)
any advice on best way to replace my gps which was stolen from my car while i was hunting mushrooms?

By looking at your thread title, you're going to need two units.

If you find a good one for driving, it won't be all that great for hiking and vice versa.

There's countless units out there these days. But I generally like Garmin units for driving and Delorme for hiking (with Delorme Topo maps--the best GPS maps out there, IMO).

-Don-

how useful is the delorme in the field? i had topos (not from garmin --) loaded on my legend, but felt the screen was too small and slow to use without frustration- somehow it seemed easier in a grid city street environ.....

i noticed rei doesn't even carry delorme any more ---- i assumed there was a logical reason for this. (such as, poor support, poor sales or poor performance, etc). but you must like yours? is it a pn 60?

i guess people are right --- and when i said a gps to use in car and field i meant one for the car, that i'd happen to use in the field also...........
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TheRambler @ Jan. 07 2013, 2:43 pm)
Depending on when the unit in question was made. Most GPS units made after 2009 have a tracking chip in them, whether it is advertised or not. If the GPS unit is on it can be pinged and the chip "activated" and send your position back to the system. I had a garmin rhino stolen, and like i said it was recovered in about 72 hours.

uh, i live in oakland, ca, and we actually have a special ebay area that only sells 'hot' items...... around here, no one tries to track stolen merchandise, afaict...............
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 4:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 07 2013, 11:13 am)
Since you were okay with the smaller size one of the new  Etrex's might fit your bill and they are on the lower end of the pricing. You'd need to check their compatibility with your older software/maps with Garmin.

The 10, for $110, has a monochrome display, the 20, for $180 has color.

http://www.rei.com/product/825490/garmin-etrex-10-gps

http://www.rei.com/product/825491/garmin-etrex-20-gps

Personally the live traffic updating has me preferring a cellphone's maps for driving over the static GPS units. I probably refer to the traffic display ten or twenty times the simple map function outside of when I'm traveling in a new city.

i may get the etrex 20, since it's cheap. i can reload city navigator since my gps was reported stolen. spoke to garmin 2day. i assume the etrex 20 has the same general plusses and minuses of the legend hcx??? that is - frustrating to find addresses and things, hard to manage waypoints (there's endless scrolling), etc.... but then good at getting signal, gives good directions on streets, great battery life.........

i guess i'm considering a delorme, also, and a separate car gps.
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 5:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TheRambler @ Jan. 07 2013, 11:43 am)

The Rhino has a transmitter in it as part of its basic function, just like a cell phone, I'd be cautious about extrapolating out to non-transmitter devices.
 Post Number: 13
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 5:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 07 2013, 5:43 pm)

(TheRambler @ Jan. 07 2013, 11:43 am)

The Rhino has a transmitter in it as part of its basic function, just like a cell phone, I'd be cautious about extrapolating out to non-transmitter devices.

That's right.  The cost of FCC approvals and associated certifications testing is a big added cost for anything that isn't  normally meant to transmit.  So is the extra hardware, like an RF power amp.
 Post Number: 14
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 8:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 07 2013, 2:51 pm)
That's right.  The cost of FCC approvals and associated certifications testing is a big added cost for anything that isn't  normally meant to transmit.  So is the extra hardware, like an RF power amp.

"That's right" ? ? ?

Is it true about after 2009 that all GPS units have a way to transmit? I would really doubt that!

OTOH, I have not bought a GPS for several years. But I would expect that to cause the prices to go way up.

And if it is true, which satellite system is used? It cannot possibly be the same one that it receives the GPS signals from, because IIRC, that system has no way to receive such signals.

-Don-

--------------
 Post Number: 15
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 8:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(damnedjose @ Jan. 07 2013, 1:30 pm)
how useful is the delorme in the field? i had topos (not from garmin --) loaded on my legend, but felt the screen was too small and slow to use without frustration- somehow it seemed easier in a grid city street environ.....

i noticed rei doesn't even carry delorme any more ---- i assumed there was a logical reason for this. (such as, poor support, poor sales or poor performance, etc). but you must like yours? is it a pn 60?

i guess people are right --- and when i said a gps to use in car and field i meant one for the car, that i'd happen to use in the field also...........

When did REI stop stocking Delorme products? Last July they had such and that was the last time I was in a REI store.

The Delorme topo maps are great, the screen size is not much of an issue, IMO. I will set most of my waypoints at home. Trying to figure the best way to get somewhere is never all that great from any map. Often, for an example, the steepest way is the best way to get where you're going when the choice is between thick vegetation and steeper rocky area that is still possible to climb down (or up). I usually use the GoTo function to a waypoint and from there, just use my eyeballs to find the best way. I have no problem setting new waypoints when out in the boonies on any GPS unit. Seeing the whole map screen I usually don't find to be all that important, except for when creating new waypoints when back at camp, which I never have trouble doing on any unit.

My Delorme is a PN40SE. I also have a PN 20.

I wish I could use the Delorme maps in my Garmin just for the fact that I normally keep my GPS off while hiking. The Garmins will hold the GoTo in memory when it is turned back on. With the Delorme, you must select the waypoint again when it is turned back on. Battery life is better in the Garmin, but you can cheat the Delorme on battery life by using lithium batteries on the lithium setting and when the unit starts to show signs of a weak battery, switch to alkaline setting with the same lithium batteries still in the unit. Just remember to put it back on lithium when you finally really need to change batteries as the lithium batteries are 1.85 volts instead of 1.55 volts each.

I like my Delorme best just for the better maps. More trails shown, more detail shown than any other maps I've seen. I like trails to be shown, even when I am hiking way off trail, just to help get back or whatever. I do a lot of off trail hiking. I normally set up a basecamp way out in the boonies  and day hike from there. Staying on trails bore me too much.

I would never consider using a car type GPS while out in the boonies.

BTW, I always carry two GPS units, a Garmin and the Delorme. I mainly use the Delorme. I set a waypoint for my camp on BOTH units just to make things easier if one of the units break or whatever.

I have had my Delorme crap out once. Delorme sent me a new one right away. Only took a few days to get here. That was years ago, but then, I had no complaints about their service.

I do think Garmin units might be more reliable. I have not had any of them fail while out in the boonies. But my last Delorme has been working fine for years.

-Don-  SSF, CA

--------------
 Post Number: 16
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 10:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Jan. 07 2013, 8:23 pm)

"That's right" ? ? ?

Is it true about after 2009 that all GPS units have a way to transmit? I would really doubt that!

OTOH, I have not bought a GPS for several years. But I would expect that to cause the prices to go way up.

And if it is true, which satellite system is used? It cannot possibly be the same one that it receives the GPS signals from, because IIRC, that system has no way to receive such signals.

-Don-

Perhaps you misunderstood. I am agreeing with HSF's contention that GPS units in general do not have transmit capability.  My reasons are clearly stated, and I think those reasons are fairly unambiguous.
 Post Number: 17
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 6:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Perhaps you misunderstood. I am agreeing with HSF's contention that GPS units in general do not have transmit capability.  My reasons are clearly stated, and I think those reasons are fairly unambiguous.
Yeah, I misunderstood by reading the extra backquote in your message and then replying too fast, without reading the entire thing.

I noticed my error later, but it would still help if people would edit out all the extra backquotes like I always do here.

Anyway, I agree with you.  While the technology to locate a GPS device does exist, I cannot see anybody raising their production costs to do such if the transmitter isn't already built in for some other purpose besides simply being able to find the unit.

Anyway, I realize you understand how this stuff works, but for others reading this  .  .  .                          

I know none of my many GPS units can be located in such  ways as mentioned here as none of them have any transmit capacity.

Not counting my Spot and inReach of course.

The GPS system that transmits  our location to be calculated in our GPS units cannot receive signals from any of our GPS units of any type. Those many  satellites transmit ONLY to our GPS units. Many (usually 4 minimum, sometimes only three), MUST be received for our GPS units  to be able to calculate our  location.  Receiving more satellites gives a lot  better accuracy, but we rarely need that much accuracy for hiking anyway.

After the location is calculated in our GPS units, for the unit to be found by others,  it must be sent to a different satellite system. The InReach uses the Iridium  Satellite System and the Spot uses the Globalstar  Satellite System to receive such signals. Only a single satellite needs to receive this  signal, unlike the several needed for the GPS receiver to calculate our location.

-Don-

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 1:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Jan. 07 2013, 8:49 pm)
When did REI stop stocking Delorme products? Last July they had such and that was the last time I was in a REI store.

The Delorme topo maps are great, the screen size is not much of an issue, IMO. I will set most of my waypoints at home. Trying to figure the best way to get somewhere is never all that great from any map. Often, for an example, the steepest way is the best way to get where you're going when the choice is between thick vegetation and steeper rocky area that is still possible to climb down (or up). I usually use the GoTo function to a waypoint and from there, just use my eyeballs to find the best way. I have no problem setting new waypoints when out in the boonies on any GPS unit. Seeing the whole map screen I usually don't find to be all that important, except for when creating new waypoints when back at camp, which I never have trouble doing on any unit.

My Delorme is a PN40SE. I also have a PN 20.

I wish I could use the Delorme maps in my Garmin just for the fact that I normally keep my GPS off while hiking. The Garmins will hold the GoTo in memory when it is turned back on. With the Delorme, you must select the waypoint again when it is turned back on. Battery life is better in the Garmin, but you can cheat the Delorme on battery life by using lithium batteries on the lithium setting and when the unit starts to show signs of a weak battery, switch to alkaline setting with the same lithium batteries still in the unit. Just remember to put it back on lithium when you finally really need to change batteries as the lithium batteries are 1.85 volts instead of 1.55 volts each.

I like my Delorme best just for the better maps. More trails shown, more detail shown than any other maps I've seen. I like trails to be shown, even when I am hiking way off trail, just to help get back or whatever. I do a lot of off trail hiking. I normally set up a basecamp way out in the boonies  and day hike from there. Staying on trails bore me too much.

I would never consider using a car type GPS while out in the boonies.

BTW, I always carry two GPS units, a Garmin and the Delorme. I mainly use the Delorme. I set a waypoint for my camp on BOTH units just to make things easier if one of the units break or whatever.

I have had my Delorme crap out once. Delorme sent me a new one right away. Only took a few days to get here. That was years ago, but then, I had no complaints about their service.

I do think Garmin units might be more reliable. I have not had any of them fail while out in the boonies. But my last Delorme has been working fine for years.

-Don-  SSF, CA

thanks, don tom. btw, whcich garmin do u have?

i impulsively bought a demo delorme pn60 from rei last night. not sure if i will keep it. it was their last delorme, and has v 9 of their maps. i'm probably not going to keep it if i can't get a v 10 map, and ensure that the firmware is up to date....  and rei doesn't LOOK like they're planning on carrying any more delormes......

i'm still thinking of getting a garmin csx60, or etrex 20 --- or the delorme.  the etrex has great battery life, but i fear it will be a slow display like my llegend had. it was frustrating to scan around to see where i was (and that's on city streets, which are easier to see cause they're in a grid).  if i got an eetrex, i'd load city navigator on it, and some of the free topo's that are available.

the csx60's seem - pretty pricey for something that is not even made anymore. i'm interested in them because of their bigger screen, and hopefully faster scrolling on a map than my legend. negative: shitty battery life (i assume similar to delorme), slightly larger size.  i'm also hoping the ease of using them is better than the smaller etrex types. so -- ru using the garmin topo maps, or some of the free ones that are available?

the delorme - has crappy battery life (isn't it 15 hours?? compared to 25+ for the legend), but supposedly great maps. i'd heard they were 100,000, but now i've heard they're a normal 24,000. people seem to LOVE or LOATHE the delorme. i guess i'm worried about the display being like my legend: smallish and slow in panning around maps - possibly hard to see. is the delorme even slower because the maps are more detailed?

i guess i can accept poor battery life if the screen is easier to see and faster. sounds like the processor in the pn60 is faster......

i'm probably comparing the delorme to the csx60. but --- the cxs60 seems overpriced. i got the delorme for $220, which includes tax.

also i was reading delorme is a small, odd company (possibly dysfunctional, a la the simpsons, whereas garmin is a huge well funded company (like the brady bunch). i'm concerned delorme might founder......

i haven't played with the delorme yet, as i haven't loaded on maps. so it's seems useless w/o loading them......
 Post Number: 19
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 3:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

GO here:  http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showforum=11

A forum for all things GPSr
 Post Number: 20
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 9:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(damnedjose @ Jan. 08 2013, 10:16 am)
thanks, don tom. btw, whcich garmin do u have?

i impulsively bought a demo delorme pn60 from rei last night. not sure if i will keep it. it was their last delorme, and has v 9 of their maps. i'm probably not going to keep it if i can't get a v 10 map, and ensure that the firmware is up to date....  and rei doesn't LOOK like they're planning on carrying any more delormes......

i'm still thinking of getting a garmin csx60, or etrex 20 --- or the delorme.  the etrex has great battery life, but i fear it will be a slow display like my llegend had. it was frustrating to scan around to see where i was (and that's on city streets, which are easier to see cause they're in a grid).  if i got an eetrex, i'd load city navigator on it, and some of the free topo's that are available.

the csx60's seem - pretty pricey for something that is not even made anymore. i'm interested in them because of their bigger screen, and hopefully faster scrolling on a map than my legend. negative: shitty battery life (i assume similar to delorme), slightly larger size.  i'm also hoping the ease of using them is better than the smaller etrex types. so -- ru using the garmin topo maps, or some of the free ones that are available?

the delorme - has crappy battery life (isn't it 15 hours?? compared to 25+ for the legend), but supposedly great maps. i'd heard they were 100,000, but now i've heard they're a normal 24,000. people seem to LOVE or LOATHE the delorme. i guess i'm worried about the display being like my legend: smallish and slow in panning around maps - possibly hard to see. is the delorme even slower because the maps are more detailed?

i guess i can accept poor battery life if the screen is easier to see and faster. sounds like the processor in the pn60 is faster......

i'm probably comparing the delorme to the csx60. but --- the cxs60 seems overpriced. i got the delorme for $220, which includes tax.

also i was reading delorme is a small, odd company (possibly dysfunctional, a la the simpsons, whereas garmin is a huge well funded company (like the brady bunch). i'm concerned delorme might founder......

i haven't played with the delorme yet, as i haven't loaded on maps. so it's seems useless w/o loading them......

About the PN60 firmware update, see here and ask any question you may have.

Don't return it too fast, be sure to check it out well. I would first load the maps on to your computer to get used to them and see about their detail and such. Check a place that you're familiar with. I would expect the Pn60 to be a great unit that you will want to use.

What's wrong with v9 of their maps? I am still using version 8 and see no reason to even have an update. Topo stuff doesn't  change much, unless you're looking for steet name updates and such. But if you comare that to a TOPO map from Garmin, you will see that the old Delorme map is even better than the Garmin Topo maps, in most cases.

I own several GPS units, but nothing as new as your PN60. My newest Garmin for hiking is probably the CS60Cx whatever (it's at my other home).   I also have Garmin a GPS V  and a few old Garmin GPS III Pluses and several car type GPSes of various makes (mostly Garmin). I own about a dozen vehicles and each has it's own GPS.

I never found a free GPS TOPO map that I could stand. I've looked at a few. But I doubt if I have seen them all.

It's a mistake, IMO,  to expect a hiking GPS to work for what you would want in a vehicle. You really should have  one for each purpose, IMO.

I don't think it's a big deal to carry spare batteries. I always do. Battery life ain't that big of a deal to me. And I never leave the hiking GPS on while hiking anyway. I use it as I need it, or want to check how far I have to go or whatever.

But IIRC, there is a battery saver mode in many GPS units. Perhaps the Delorme too, but I never use it. As you say, it just slows down everything.

IMO, it's the maps that are the most important, so play around with the top maps on your computer before you play around much with the GPS unit. I bet you wiill enjoy your new PN60 more and more the more you play around with it.

BTW, even if it's a bit slow, I find it gives me something to do when I am set up out in the boonies. Sometimes I even play around with the GPS at night, using the backlit screen. I never found speed too be all that much of a problem because I just ain't in a hurry when I am out in the boonies.

-Don-

--------------
 Post Number: 21
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 3:21 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(damnedjose @ Jan. 08 2013, 10:16 am)
and ensure that the firmware is up to date....

Which version does it have? You can get the 163 mb firmware version 3.4 here.

-Don-

--------------
 Post Number: 22
wildlifenate Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 6:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Garmin Montana and the new Oregon 600/650 have "Nuvi mode" where they function in landscape and provide real car navigation.  You'd have to have the maps, of course.

FYI, Garmin has been locking its city maps to specific receivers if you buy them on disc.  They've been doing that for several years now.  If you buy the maps on memory cards, the card can be swapped from one device to another but those maps cannot be loaded on the computer.  Something to consider.

--------------
The GPS Geek
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wildlifenate @ Jan. 09 2013, 6:14 am)
The Garmin Montana and the new Oregon 600/650 have "Nuvi mode" where they function in landscape and provide real car navigation.  You'd have to have the maps, of course.

FYI, Garmin has been locking its city maps to specific receivers if you buy them on disc.  They've been doing that for several years now.  If you buy the maps on memory cards, the card can be swapped from one device to another but those maps cannot be loaded on the computer.  Something to consider.

garmin offered to allow me to xfer the city navigator to another unit, since i filed a police report.

decided, per advice of this forum and guy at rei to get a nuvi or other car unit for the car. when i used my legend in the car, it was similar to drinking double shots of bourbon while driving.........  should i look at the montana and oregon??? i have not considered them, was thinking of etrex 20 or getting a csx60 (which are overpriced even used, to my way of thinking). people seem to love those loveable lugs.
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 12:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DonTom @ Jan. 08 2013, 9:19 pm)
About the PN60 firmware update, see here and ask any question you may have.

Don't return it too fast, be sure to check it out well. I would first load the maps on to your computer to get used to them and see about their detail and such. Check a place that you're familiar with. I would expect the Pn60 to be a great unit that you will want to use.

What's wrong with v9 of their maps? I am still using version 8 and see no reason to even have an update. Topo stuff doesn't  change much, unless you're looking for steet name updates and such. But if you comare that to a TOPO map from Garmin, you will see that the old Delorme map is even better than the Garmin Topo maps, in most cases.

I own several GPS units, but nothing as new as your PN60. My newest Garmin for hiking is probably the CS60Cx whatever (it's at my other home).   I also have Garmin a GPS V  and a few old Garmin GPS III Pluses and several car type GPSes of various makes (mostly Garmin). I own about a dozen vehicles and each has it's own GPS.

I never found a free GPS TOPO map that I could stand. I've looked at a few. But I doubt if I have seen them all.

It's a mistake, IMO,  to expect a hiking GPS to work for what you would want in a vehicle. You really should have  one for each purpose, IMO.

I don't think it's a big deal to carry spare batteries. I always do. Battery life ain't that big of a deal to me. And I never leave the hiking GPS on while hiking anyway. I use it as I need it, or want to check how far I have to go or whatever.

But IIRC, there is a battery saver mode in many GPS units. Perhaps the Delorme too, but I never use it. As you say, it just slows down everything.

IMO, it's the maps that are the most important, so play around with the top maps on your computer before you play around much with the GPS unit. I bet you wiill enjoy your new PN60 more and more the more you play around with it.

BTW, even if it's a bit slow, I find it gives me something to do when I am set up out in the boonies. Sometimes I even play around with the GPS at night, using the backlit screen. I never found speed too be all that much of a problem because I just ain't in a hurry when I am out in the boonies.

-Don-

in terms of upgrading firmware, my pc doesn't seem to detect the pn60 - i tried connecting it a couple times. btw, the cable connector at the pn60 bites --- seems flimsy, poorly made, hard to press. i can see it busting, at some point.

i sent an email to delorme re problems i'm having. the unit constantly loses signal (every couple minutes) inside my house. my legend (ah, the legend, its steadfastness grows and grows as my memory of it dims) i'm sure easily held a signal in my house. the trouble with the delorme is, when it loses signal, a blue screen with a big arrow then locks the unit up til it reacquires signal (or gives up). this prevents me from looking at the maps much.

i was able to load maps onto an sd card, and can briefly glance at them before the unit freezes up again (it'd be nice if it remembered where it was on the map, before it lost signal). tried turning gps aspect off - it turns back on when i look at maps, thus freezing the unit again.  

it's frustrating.

altho u might enjoy playing around with your units in the boonies, i generally don't. in the past, i've found looking at a real map a lot easier to do, and easier to grasp, than a tiny gps screen. but the few furtive glances i've had at the delorme maps between freeze ups) did look better than the garmin......
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 2:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

well, here's my 'unhappy camper' email to delorme...... do i sound p*ssed? (last word edited for g audience.

re: my earlier email 2day: this is the most frustrating unit i've owned. i removed all power saving functions (as every few seconds the unit froze. couldn't tell if it was  1) searching for signal 2) trying to conserve power. i put in alkaline batteries, in case my rechargeables were 'unappetizing' to the unit. it behaves the same: every few seconds, it becomes unresponsive, the blue screen with arrow shows up, and nothing happens until it, after a minute or two, returns back to normalcy, and is again responsive to button commands. then, the frustrating beyond belief cycle begins anew. it's completely useless. this is also the first company i've dealt with that doesn't have phone contact numbers. btw, your email response to problems is super slow - actually, non-existent, since i have not as yet received a reply to my 1st email.
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 3:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

finally upgraded firmware to current (3.4 something) (uh, no thanks to delorme's missing customer support). the thing seems to actually work now. it's not a) dropping out of service every 30 seconds or so, so i can actually look at a map without being bumped off b) holding onto signal (so far). both major milestones. see if it holds up.
 Post Number: 27
Godxillax Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 9:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a 60CSX and a delorme PN40.  I've used the Garmin with City Nav for years even in Europe.  It was my primary vehicle and BPing GPS til I got a dedicated Garmin for the vehicle. Recently on a trip to S Dak, I brought the 60CSX to keep track of off road hiking.  The car rental did not come with a GPS and my buddy's Magellan was a little slow.  I always locked on before he did and my POI database was more complete.  That unit, or the new 62 series, are more versatile.  I even used the Garmin in my boat with their Blue water software.

--------------
39° 32.690 N
76° 08.415 W
 Post Number: 28
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 11:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(damnedjose @ Jan. 09 2013, 12:56 pm)
finally upgraded firmware to current (3.4 something) (uh, no thanks to delorme's missing customer support). the thing seems to actually work now. it's not a) dropping out of service every 30 seconds or so, so i can actually look at a map without being bumped off b) holding onto signal (so far). both major milestones. see if it holds up.

Glad the firmware seemed to fix your problems.

It's not uncommon to have to update things the day you buy them. Seems to happen to me every time I buy a gadget  that has up-datable firmware.

I so rarely find a need to look at ANY GPS MAP screen. My vehicle GPSes all have voice and pronounces street names. I only need the display to set the thing up.

For my backpacking GPS units, I make my waypoints on my computer, usually more than I really need (sometimes is very helpful) and upload them to my unit before I go. It's rare that I do such out in the boonies, but when I do, I make sure I am wearing a good pair of glasses and I usually do it at when I am all set up for the night before going. And that only happens when I wish to see somewhere unplanned before I started the trip.

I don't think the PN60 has anything that I care about than my PN40SE doesn't already have. My PN40 has more junk in it than I will ever use, so I wonder what the big difference with the PN60 is.

I do have the Delome inReach, but mine is  for Android. My inReach will not work with the PN60W. This way, I can decide on my own screen size to use. I use a large screen for in the RV and a small one while backpacking. Perhaps some day, GPS units will bluetooth to a screen of your choice too, if none already do such. Seems a lot of people complain about the small GPS screen size, but I do wonder how many would want to hump an extra larger item just for the GPS view.

How do you like the Delorme maps? Have you looked at them on your computer yet?

-Don- (in rainy SSF, CA)

--------------
 Post Number: 29
Trixie (RIP)

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Godxillax @ Jan. 09 2013, 6:57 pm)
I have a 60CSX and a delorme PN40.

Me too. Which do you like best? I always bring both, but I use the Delorme the most, mainly for the better maps.

If the Garmin would work with the Delorme maps and if the scaling on these maps would work as well as it does with Topo Mapsource (as much or as little detail as wanted on any scale of screen), it would then be a perfect unit, IMO.

But it ain't going to happen.

-Don-

--------------
 Post Number: 30
Godxillax Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 11:27 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've always used terrain navigator or Ozzie explorer with USGS maps.  I prefer the large size of a paper map to the small screen. With these programs I could plan then print my trip on a full scale map, sometimes on waterproof paper.  I only use Mapsource to look up POI's and transfer them to my unit.  And yes, I much prefer the Garmin. My early GPS models (Garmin 45, 12xl) didn't have maps and I used them with the USGS maps

--------------
39° 32.690 N
76° 08.415 W
88 replies since Jan. 06 2013, 9:46 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 3123>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply advice on new gps to replace stolen one
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions