2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Marmot Precip, Any users?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 10:22 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking for a new, more breathable shell as I seem to end up pretty damp despite having a completely waterproof rain jacket.
Any experience with these jackets? Seems about what I'm looking for...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
CubsFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 10:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have both the jacket and pants.

Last year, I used the jacket on a 5 day trip, where it rained probably about 12 hours a day.  

It does an ok job with protecting against the rain, however, after extended rain (2-3 hours) it does get damp on the inside.  I guess I'd say that it's not bad, but it's certainly not waterproof.  But, I was always drier using it than I would have been not using it.
 Post Number: 3
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the jacket. Like every other rain jacket I've used it should be described as barely breathable. It does ok keeping the rain out but after a long time in the rain it wets out. That said when mine wears out I will probably get another just because you can usually find them discounted and I'm not convinced a more expensive shell is really going to be that much more comfortable.
 Post Number: 4
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Good value, pit zips are helpful in warmer weather.

I am not sure anything will "breath" in 100 % humidity or keep you "dry" in an all day rain.

Mine has wetted out on more than one  occasion but I just throw it in the dryer and it seems to reup the DWR coating.

I am sure there are better more expensive ones out there but I like details especially the hood design.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ditto on the above.  I have one and for the money, it's a pretty good jacket.  I'm sure there are better ones out there and I'm just as sure that they cost considerably more - more than I'm willing to pay.  It does keep you fairly dry, but after a while it does get a little damp but I'm pretty sure that's the case with any rain jacket.  I'd probably buy another.  You can usually get them for around $70 on sale.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 12:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went through a couple Precips in a period of about 5 years.  They're good jackets for the money.  My experience is similar to others' comments... it's not terribly breathable if you're really warm or working hard, and it won't keep you bone-dry in prolonged rain, but it does the job fairly well.  After all these years it's still a good jacket for the money.

Probably the main reason I don't use one currently is that I got a great deal on a more expensive (and more durable) shell a few years back that's served me well.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Probably the main reason I don't use one currently is that I got a great deal on a more expensive (and more durable) shell a few years back that's served me well.

What are you using??

--------------
 Post Number: 8
mossy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 12:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Great for light rain but it will not keep you dry in heavier stuff of any duration.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 12:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Jan. 07 2013, 10:25 am)

What are you using??

I scored a Millet Mountaineering (a French mountaineering company) GTX Paclite jacket for about $165 on Steepandcheap.  Retailed for $350, if my memory serves me right.

I was pummelling through rain jackets pretty quickly (punctures, delamination, etc) in extended heavy bushwhacking trips, and this was a lightweight shell that was more durable than the Precip fabric, but also more waterproof and noticeably more breathable.  Bigger price, but it's been worth it having one jacket last 3-4 years and still going instead of two or three cheaper in the same time span.

I'd like to see whether eVent jackets have gotten any cheaper when it's time to replace it.  Haven't seriously shopped in awhile though.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 12:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used Precip tops and bottoms for 10 years.  This year I also got a Super Mica top, which is lighter, but it hasn't been through enough yet for me to form an opinion.  Although it's not ideal, I've never used anything that performed noticeably better than Precip.
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 1:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Understandably, most folks don't go through shells at quite the same rate I do.  A jacket probably could've lasted me 10 years before I got into bushwhacking.  Jackets, pants, packs and shoes get quite a beating going several weeks off-trail through coastal rainforests.  I haven't found a pair of rain pants that lasts me more than 1-2 years, max, at least not without a significant sacrifice in weight.  On trail hikes (where snags are the exception instead of the norm) I don't put nearly the emphasis on durability.

So perhaps my perspective on it is a wee-bit different than many, I dunno.  I've been happy with the Millet jacket for the past 3 1/2 or 4 years, although it's now starting to show a little delamination as well from several years of abrasion.  But it's outlasted a typical precip in my experience by about a factor of two.  Nothing nylon is 100% bombproof.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 12
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 2:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've used a Precip for ~2 years best I can remember. It has about as good venting as anything, so I've no desire for something "better" in that respect for use where I live. There are lighter, though. I've considered something like a Super Mica...

I have to be the luckiest person alive when it comes to heavy rain, but my jacket has been through many short showers, long drizzly days, a snowstorm, and 45 mph winds. Nothing particularly special about it, but I have no complaints. Think I got it for about $48 on Sierra Trading Post with a 35% off coupon.
 Post Number: 13
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 2:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm actually using a Columbia Water tight right now,
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=13202026
It's never wet out on me at all, it just doesn't breath well.
Sounds like I'll be good enough keeping this until I find a deal on something a bit better.
 Post Number: 14
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Jan. 07 2013, 2:36 pm)
It's never wet out on me at all, it just doesn't breath well.

Nothing breathes well.  Some things breathe marginally better, but no enough better to get excited about.
 Post Number: 15
overthehillwalker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 3:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife and I have both the Precip Jacket and Pants. The pants are fine especially since they have short sizes for inseam challenged folks like myself. The Jacket is another story, not very robust, not a good wind stopper. The Precip jacket is ok for local summer day hikes when good weather is forecast.

I'm somewhat fussy about hiking clothing and learned long ago to not sacrifice quality. I still want the fun, dry and warmth factor when bad weather happens. Especially backpacking where you may be committed to travel in less than optimal conditions.

Sounds likes your current system is suitable. I'd wait and look for a deal on a high end shell.
 Post Number: 16
BubbaHotep Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 7:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently purchased the Golite Tumalo.  I had narrowed my choices down to the Tumalo or the Precip.  They are basically the same price.  I've only used it a couple of times so far, but I've been happy with the results.  

I upgraded from a very cheap White Sierra jacket, and the pitzips and pocket vents do help keep me a little dryer, though like everyone says, nothing is 100% breathable.  Not sure if the Precip has this or not but the Tumalo has a two way zipper that is handy for venting in a light rain.  

Anyone else had more experience with the Tumalo?
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 9:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(overthehillwalker @ Jan. 07 2013, 3:54 pm)
I'm somewhat fussy about hiking clothing and learned long ago to not sacrifice quality. I still want the fun, dry and warmth factor when bad weather happens.

So what are you using that meets your expectations?  Just curious.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 18
AndyPandy Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just went through this process myself. I just wanted a basic 2 layer jacket with pit zips. I narrowed it down to the Marmot, the Stoic Vaporshell and the Patagonia Torrentshell.

I decided on the Pat because I could try it on (unlike the Stoic), the price (marginally cheaper than the Marmot at my local Rei) and I can return easily if it turns out to be a hot mess.
 Post Number: 19
UlightBandit Search for posts by this member.
ROAR!!!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 12:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tried using the precip jacket for backpacking/hiking and didn't like it.
It was about the clammiest jacket i've tried.
It also de-laminated where the hood fold was, as well as where shoulder straps rubbed it.

I would say its a good "around town" jacket, but in my opinion, thats about it.
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jan. 08 2013, 7:46 am)

(overthehillwalker @ Jan. 07 2013, 3:54 pm)
I'm somewhat fussy about hiking clothing and learned long ago to not sacrifice quality. I still want the fun, dry and warmth factor when bad weather happens.

So what are you using that meets your expectations?  Just curious.

Hikerjer,

Standard day hike: Arc'Teryx Beta AR Jacket, TNF Apex Vest, Arc'Teryx Palisade Pant and Marmot Precip Pant

Backpacking: Add Arc'teryx Gamma LT Jacket, SmartWool Lightweight Zip-Top

Ski Touring: Arc'Teryx Beta AR Jacket, Patagonia Down Sweater, Arc'Teryx Gamma MX Jacket, Arc'Teryx Theta SV Bib or Arc'Teryx Alpha LT 1/2 Bib.

It's somewhat of an investment...but from a durability, fit and function perspective can't be beat. I have no fear of any weather or terrain, on trail or off.
 Post Number: 21
kellem Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Precip is for showers only and does well at that but for serious rain look elsewhere.

I was in my hammock under the stars "no shelter" and was rudely awoken by heavy rain at 3AM "weatherman lies". I tore camp down in minutes and took off down the trail with headlamp and Precip.

After several hours of hiking in the rain my Precip gave up the ghost....yeah i got wet. :)
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(overthehillwalker @ Jan. 08 2013, 4:51 pm)
It's somewhat of an investment.

You can say that again, but if you think it's worth it, but all means go for it.  Guess I just don't live in a climate that is all that demanding of a rain jacket.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 6:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

After several hours of hiking in the rain my Precip gave up the ghost....yeah i got wet. :)

Kellem, what are you using?

Maybe the guys from the Pacific NW can pipe in but I don't really think there is anything short of what we used to call a "slicker"...(rubber or plastic rain coat), that is going to not wet out on you after that long of a period.  

Even when I wet out on the surface, I am usually dry underneath save for sweat.

--------------
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 1:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Jan. 08 2013, 9:49 pm)
[ Guess I just don't live in a climate that is all that demanding of a rain jacket.

Utah is the second driest state in the US. Although I spend time every year in Colorado and Nevada as well. It's not so much rain as wind being the key factor. Then that can be compounded by snow and rain. Probably about 60% of my outings include dealing with 20+ MPH winds. It's either bundle up or I'd be hiking the Florida Trail.
 Post Number: 25
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 3:13 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Precip is windproof. The conditions here in the SE are infinitely more challenging for a shell, and it does fine both here and in UT.
 Post Number: 26
ndwoods Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 10:27 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have one i have used for 5 years heavily at the barn mucking rain or shine. I can vouch for its holding up and really only getting damp inside after me working up a sweat doing chores. Finally the back neck started leaking at the seam.....

--------------
http://ndeewoods.com/
 Post Number: 27
Three Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ndwoods @ Jan. 09 2013, 10:27 pm)
I have one i have used for 5 years heavily at the barn mucking rain or shine. I can vouch for its holding up and really only getting damp inside after me working up a sweat doing chores. Finally the back neck started leaking at the seam.....

Ok...dumb question of the night.  How does a Precip compare to a Frogg Togg, which is what I'm using now?

Yes, I'm cheap ...umm...frugal if you will.
 Post Number: 28
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 10:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Used mine a few times in heavy rain....stayed dry.  Most wettness inside of rain jackets, even breathable ones are from your perspiration.
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Three @ Jan. 09 2013, 10:39 pm)

(ndwoods @ Jan. 09 2013, 10:27 pm)

Ok...dumb question of the night.  How does a Precip compare to a Frogg Togg, which is what I'm using now?

Yes, I'm cheap ...umm...frugal if you will.

I've only seen Frogg Toggs in the store and have never actualy used them.  But from my observation, they aren't nearly as durable. I'd be very leary of using them in the field especially if they were bound to experience any abuse.  They might be fine for around town.

--------------
 Post Number: 30

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 3:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I had been curious about Frogg Toggs as well until I found a pair of Frogg Togg chest waders at a discount store here  Ollies Bargain OPutlet...like $30...and I jumped on them...they were lightweight, looked fairly durable and did I mention they were $30??

Went fly fishing w/them for about four hours one day.  hung em up, took them out a week later to try and retrieve a crock my daughter lost in the mud at a beach...leaked like a strainer....(can't spell seive).

Of course their jackets may be great

--------------
32 replies since Jan. 07 2013, 10:22 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Marmot Precip
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions