2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Bear spray - Sabre?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 07 2013, 10:18 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone have experience with the Sabre brand of bear spray? Here is a link to their 9.2oz can.

http://www.sabrered.com/servlet....l

Are all major brands pretty much similar in effectiveness? I have heard the Counter Assault brand quite a bit in my searching also.

--------------
Steve
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That's what I carry, should be just as effective since it's 2% capsaicin. Found it quite a bit cheaper than Counter Assault, and it came with a holster/sleeve.

"Experience with it", though? Never had to actually use it, and I hope I never do.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 3
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like UDAP because it's local, is priced nicely, and the 7.9 oz size seems "just right" to me...

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 4
Pathfinder1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hi...

In reading the propaganda on the site, nowhere did I see the words 'EPA Registered'. My preference would be to carry a bear spray that WAS EPA Registered.
 Post Number: 5
JimInMD Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My two cents (and worth less than that)

Only a few things matter with pepper spray and the big one is percentage of capsaicin.  

I don't know about their bear spray, but in their Sabre Red line they use what's called the "cross fire" can.  It's pretty awesome in that it can still spray while upside down.  That's surprisingly useful if you get knocked down or trip while spraying.

--------------
You rush a miracle man, you get rotten miracles.
 Post Number: 6
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

UDAP (I carry this now ) or Alaska........... just get EPA registered for bear. At least 9oz canister.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FWIW, my spray has both an EPA registration number and EPA establishment number on the front label.

And it's 9.2 oz.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 5:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the info. Bought.

I got some recommendations for their red line of pepper spray, though no one mentioned the delivery system being able to shoot at other-than straight up and down. That is pretty cool. By bundling the bear spray with my order I don't have to source somewhere else and the shipping is already free (orders over $50 are free shipping). I suppose if I shopped around I could get a better deal maybe, but the little shopping I did resulted in very little difference (a few dollars at most), which I would have surpassed any deal with the shipping costs.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For what it's worth, between the Coast Guard and police work, I've been sprayed many times.  Sabre Red is the nastiest of the bunch, hands down.  That stuff is flat out evil.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yes but it appears to be Sabre's Fronteirsman line that is intended for bear deterrent, so the odds are its that formulation and canister that's EPA certified.

http://www.sabrered.com/servlet....egories

Here's Region 8's page

http://www.epa.gov/region8/toxics/pests/beardeter.html
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 08 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Regular 'people" pepper spray is completely different from Bear spray.
 Post Number: 12
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 8:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Jan. 08 2013, 8:39 pm)

Yup.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 9:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Jan. 08 2013, 10:39 pm)

I'm genuinely curious how it's completely different.  I'm not being a smartass, I just don't see much beyond the concentration.

--------------
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

One thing I immediately see is that people deterrent comes in a variety of far smaller canister volumes than any bear deterrent where IIRC EPA specifies a minimal volume.
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 4:41 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

...And spray distance (which in and of itself requires a larger volume). I don't know if people spray is effective for a distance greater than a grizzly's arm...

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(JRinGeorgia @ Jan. 09 2013, 1:41 pm)
...And spray distance (which in and of itself requires a larger volume). I don't know if people spray is effective for a distance greater than a grizzly's arm...

And that distance requirement would mean also higher pressure so a more robust container.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 10:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For info:

http://www.igbconline.org/
http://www.centerforwildlifeinformation.org/BeBearA....ay.html
http://www.udap.com/Bearspecifications.htm
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 09 2013, 10:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Yea it would be nice in some situations to carry around a can of bear spray all the time - they will reach out past 30 feet = more distance ability between you and a threat. You can't exactly put that in a key chain size 1/2oz container though. The smaller sprays are 10-12'. I think the small ones I got are 10', the 4.4oz 120 magnum cans I got are 12'. Not much difference in spray distance, just shot count (25 in the small ones vs. 40 in the big ones).

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 5:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(bbobb169 @ Jan. 09 2013, 10:43 pm)

Thank you, the second link had the important phrase.

Although both types of sprays are made from oleoresin capsicum, it is the capsaicin and related capsaicinoids that are the active ingredients in bear spray. Therefore, if you see claims on a large can that state 10%, 20%, or 30% oleoresin capsicum, it is pepper spray (personal defense spray), not bear spray.

I knew it had to be something other than the size of the can because I carry much larger than 9oz cans for Civil Disturbance work.  I don't know enough about peppers and their components to know the difference between oleoresin capsicum and "capsaicin and related capsaicinoids", but at least I can research and find out.

Thank you very much.

--------------
 Post Number: 20

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 11:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Somewhere or another I expect there's an EPA page with their certification requirements for bear deterrent are listed. Multiple specifications no doubt. Probably around that Region 8 section as they seem to be the responsible subdivision.

The other route might be the CounterAssault website: IIRC they've an extensive FAQ section and might reference the EPA requirements with a link or reference document.

ETA: So I followed my own advice:
From CounterAssault's FAQ:
"The EPA requires the concentration of Active Ingredient (capsaicin and related capsaicinoids) range between 1% and 2%.  The minimum size can the EPA requires is 7.9 ounces or 225 grams.  The EPA requires each registrant to provide spray distance and time of continuous spray for their product and include the information on the label, although the EPA has no established limits."

The other referenced group was the Interagency Grizzly Committee: http://counterassault.com/IGBC_06-08_BearPepperSprayPositionPaper.pdf

Here's their homepage:
http://www.igbconline.org

Center for Wildlife Information has a number of links on their spray page:
http://www.centerforwildlifeinformation.org/BeBearA....ay.html
 Post Number: 21
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 10 2013, 11:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KC8QVO @ Jan. 07 2013, 10:18 pm)
Does anyone have experience with the Sabre brand of bear spray? Here is a link to their 9.2oz can.

http://www.sabrered.com/servlet....l

Are all major brands pretty much similar in effectiveness? I have heard the Counter Assault brand quite a bit in my searching also.

Ive never heard of it.  Not saying its no good.  Just saying ive never seen it out here.  Looking at your website link i would personally never choose to use it here in grizz country.  Also considreing they dont ship to alaska, where 98% of the animals you need bear spray for live, I would take that as a bad sign

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
20 replies since Jan. 07 2013, 10:18 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Bear spray - Sabre?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions