2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Washing Down, just a thought, what do you think?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 5:23 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have some sleeping bags and a coat that need washed. I know the general consensus is to go to a laundromat and use a front loading machine.

My question is: Is there any way to make a top loading machine work? Such as putting it on as delicate of an agitation cycle as it goes, or perhaps letting the machine fill up, agitate for a few minutes, and stop it to let everything soak for say an hour, then resume?

Or should I stay away from a top-loader at all costs?

--------------
Steve
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might blow out the interior baffles. Or you might not.

Taking the chance is usually not worth it. I'd probably hand wash before using a twisting central spindle machine. That way I'd control the force and abuse level on the items.

Spot cleaning has served me well over the years.
 Post Number: 3
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 6:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use my bathtub.
To drain and transport to the clothes line I use the cotton bag my bags come with.
So you shift the sb into the cotton bag, do not lift it in .
 Post Number: 4
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I second the tub if no front loader. Even on gentle cycle the nylon can slide into the agitator and toast the baffles and maybe even tear the shell open.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 7:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Jan. 13 2013, 6:11 pm)
I use my bathtub.

Same with me.  Always works well although a bit time consuming.  Just be careful when lifting the wet bag out of the tub.  Be sure to give it plenty of support or the weight of the remaining water in the bag will rip the internal baffles.  After it's dried naturally to the fullest extent possible, I take it to a laundromat and put it in the largest drier with a low or flugg setting.   Turns out like new with great loft.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 9:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I will echo the comments above...No top loader, period. Bathtub, then drain...take sleeping bag out and then dry. I recommend letting it dry on a sweater rack or something to that effect before putting in a dryer. I've put mine in my own dryer with a bunch of dry towels.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 10:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use the laundrymat's washers. I blew out a gasket on my front loader that cost me $50 in parts and an afternoon to replace. Washer guy says that is what happens when you wash heavy blankets or *cough* sleeping bags *cough*.

So I block out the time and take them to the laundry and blow out their gaskets instead of mine.
 Post Number: 8
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 13 2013, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't recommend hand washing a down bag .. it's more difficult than you think, and most people end up worse off than not washing the bag at all. part of what happens is its difficult to fully rinse the bag, get all the soap out of the down, and whatnot - ending up with down that never fully restores correctly. Go to a laundromat and wash it properly.

Similarly, and related, it's much harder to fully wet down that people expect .. which means the bag doesn't get cleaned properly anyway.

Unless the bag is awfully dirty, not washing it almost always a better option than handwashing.

Same thing with drying it. Hanging to dry doesn't work well on a down bag .. dry it on low heat, for a long, long, long time.

I think a top loader is best avoided, though if you use is "manually", like suggested in the OP, you might be OK. I'd avoid actually letting the agitator run though .. just fill it up, let the bag soak up some water, and "agitate" by hand. Fill it up again and soak and rinse and soak and rinse and repeat. A few times.

Just go to a laundromat.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 9
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 7:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 13 2013, 5:52 pm)

I agree.  I've had my down bag for three or four years now and all I ever really do it spot clean if needed.  It if starts to smell bad I add some Febreeze and call it good!  

Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
 Post Number: 10
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Spot cleaning, and the front loader at the laundromat when needed.

To get an idea of what it's like to hand wash a bag, imagine wrestling with a large recalcitrant seal. Wet, slippery, and heavier than heck. The down is hard to get wet but it will soak up huge amounts of water once it's there.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 11
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 12:43 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Jan. 13 2013, 7:07 pm)
I second the tub if no front loader. Even on gentle cycle the nylon can slide into the agitator and toast the baffles and maybe even tear the shell open.

Eeek, I didn't know that. Thanks for the warning. I washed a down comforter in a top loader last week. The hard part was getting it to actually absorb water. It took about 5 hours in the dryer plus about two days spread out to dry. Based on that experience I was about to put my down sleeping bag in the top loader. Guess I won't.
 Post Number: 12
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Probably best to also put it in a commercial dryer that is much larger than the one at home, the extra room to unfurl helps the down spread out better too.
 Post Number: 13
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

a couple of thoughts....

-i rarely wash sleeping bags, as in i'll go several years before doing so unless the bag gets dumped in the mud or bled on (have had both).  however, i regularly use a light bag liner so any body oils end up in the liner rather than the insulation; cocoon liners are a heck of a lot easer to wash.  VBL liners are even better, just clean them in the shower and hang dry.  

-on those rare occasions, i have been able to do 'normal' (+ zero degree) down bags in our regular front-loading washer set on delicate, meaning low velocity final spin, with down wash, and our home dryer, set on low heat, with a couple of clean sneakers or a bunch of clean tennis balls.  just washed a down sweater that was quite soiled with great results.  

-some of the nicer top loaders don't have central agitators, they 'might' be OK.  check first.
 Post Number: 14
michelclarke234 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 19 2013, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Taking the chance is usually not worth it. I'd probably hand wash before using a twisting central spindle machine. That way I'd control the force and abuse level on the items.

hello I do not have much information about cleaning process but my friends say steam cleaning is effective. What is your views guys?
 Post Number: 15
michelclarke234 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 12:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(michelclarke234 @ Feb. 19 2013, 11:51 am)

Spot end of lease cleaning brisbane has served me well over the years.

hello I do not have much information about cleaning process but my friends say steam cleaning is effective. What is your views guys?

Still waiting for some replies
 Post Number: 16
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 20 2013, 10:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

In regards to steam cleaning, I have always hand washed so I can't guess other than to state I'd pay attention to your shell's material. Steam on down itself would not be a concern. I'm a bit paranoid about sending my equipment out to someone not used to working with it.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
15 replies since Jan. 13 2013, 5:23 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Washing Down
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions