2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Western Mountaineering Feather Leaking< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
hike500 Search for posts by this member.
Desert Dweller

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 9:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I seem to loose about 3 or 4 feathers every time I use the bag. Sometimes I can pull them back through but other times they will come all the way out on there own. Is this a normal amount for this type of bag? At 450.00 I flip out when ever I loose a feather. The model is the Alpinlite.
Thanks,
Kevin

--------------
"Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow"
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That is about what I get.
More from the Highlite than the Ultralite and Summerlite but at least one or two every time.
(and no after 300 night you still will not notice the difference)
 Post Number: 3
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 10:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seeing down outside the sleeping bag is like seeing your own blood.  Every drop looks like a quart.  There are a lot more tufts of down in there than it might seem.  If you don't think so, save them up until you have enough to register on a digital scale.  It will take years.
 Post Number: 4
swimswithtrout Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 10:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Totally normal.

--------------
Want to see The Wind River Range in widescreen 1080p ?
 Post Number: 5
Desert Dweller

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 11:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 14 2013, 8:08 pm)
Seeing down outside the sleeping bag is like seeing your own blood.  Every drop looks like a quart.  

Thanks everyone, kind of what I figured but my man said it best!

--------------
 Post Number: 6
Desert Dweller

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 14 2013, 11:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I fought with one feather for about 30 minutes last week while doing an overnight in the Supes. The feather eventually one, I never did get it to pull back through. I know, get a life right!

--------------
 Post Number: 7
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hike500 @ Jan. 14 2013, 11:53 pm)
I fought with one feather for about 30 minutes last week while doing an overnight in the Supes. The feather eventually one, I never did get it to pull back through. I know, get a life right!

I get as many back in as I have patience for.  I know it doesn't have any real impact, but each one is a little victory.   :)
 Post Number: 8
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 7:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think anyone on these forums thinks that was an unusual way to pass time at all...now if you were to tell that story at the office Christmas party...... ???

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 9
Desert Dweller

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Jan. 15 2013, 5:32 am)

I don't think anyone on these forums thinks that was an unusual way to pass time at all...now if you were to tell that story at the office Christmas party...... ???

Let alone the price I paid for the bag!

--------------
 Post Number: 10
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 12:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Feather leaking frustrated me with other brands but WM reviews said they had the least, which sold me (more than other qualities; warm for the rating and made in the USA).   Have 2 and plan to buy one more.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 11
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 12:14 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(big_load @ Jan. 14 2013, 9:08 pm)
Seeing down outside the sleeping bag is like seeing your own blood.  

That is so true, especially when it's your first down bag or jacket.
One little tuft, and my first thought was "I can't believe I fell for this down crap-look the insulation is just falling out of it."
After a few years, and one or two teeny tiny pieces each from a couple of bags and a jacket, I realize that the world does indeed keep turning, and they still keep me just as warm, but...I still don't like it!
 Post Number: 12
Desert Dweller

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 1:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Jan. 15 2013, 10:14 pm)

(big_load @ Jan. 14 2013, 9:08 pm)
Seeing down outside the sleeping bag is like seeing your own blood.  

That is so true, especially when it's your first down bag or jacket.
One little tuft, and my first thought was "I can't believe I fell for this down crap-look the insulation is just falling out of it."
After a few years, and one or two teeny tiny pieces each from a couple of bags and a jacket, I realize that the world does indeed keep turning, and they still keep me just as warm, but...I still don't like it!

I hear you bro, I just hate the sight of that little feather leaking out. I guess I need to get over it.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I started using quality down bags in the 1970's... never had one that didn't lose feathers, including 4 WM bags.

If it truly bugs you, it's a fairly simple thing to pull the down back inside the bag by grabbing it from the opposite side it's trying to escape and pulling it back through the fabric into the bag.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
12 replies since Jan. 14 2013, 9:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Western Mountaineering Feather Leaking
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions