2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Washing Up, Just a thought< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
zipposdad Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 10:40 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How do you wash up on the trail?  Febreez and deoderant at the trailhead for the trip home for me.

--------------
Teach your babies to camp  :D
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't.

Seems like after every trip I think I should have brought a change of cloth and left them in the car. But, I never remember.

I just drive home smelly

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 11:16 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wash up?

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 11:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It depends on how many days out I am. If it's been a week, I usually jump in a nearby creek and wash up. If it's just been a weekend, I put on my fresh clothes that I leave in my car if I happen to remember. Sometimes, I just jump in the rig and go home to shower.

I'm one of the lucky few who doesn't smell much from body odor in the first place. I reach a max of a "musty" level and that's about it. The downside is I can rash out from soap or thinking about an itch on occasion.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 5
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I solo hike mostly so I'm only offending myself.

If I were to go with somebody of the female half of the human race I'd clean up.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 6
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 11:31 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Small packet of wetwipes for pits and parts if we are out more than a day or 2, especially if we are out after May because it get hot and sweaty fast.
 Post Number: 7
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Man, some of you people are gross

I wipe myself down twice daily with a damp wash rag (unless of course it is freezing)

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 8
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a wet wipe whenever I feel the need, which isn't often.
 Post Number: 9
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 12:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just a splash of water and a handkerchief when needed, which isn't terribly often.

On long trips (multiple weeks) in wet weather when things like athlete's foot can really creep up on me if I'm not careful, I powder periodically with some anti-fungal powder in key areas.  Seems to help a lot with the "funk factor."  That, with washing up periodically, and I'm good.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10
sarbar Search for posts by this member.
Hiker Trash

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 4:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I leave clean clothes and sandals in the vehicle. Just feels SO much better to be in cotton pants!
As for on trail? Jumping in creeks and a quick face and hand wash every day before bed, plus teeth 2x a day. I don't over think it.

--------------
Trail Cooking, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
Trail Cooking & Freezer Bag Cooking
 Post Number: 11
Chuck D Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 5:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Same as I do at home, first Saturday of every month, except maybe for December, January, and February when it may be too cold.

--------------
Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry,
 Post Number: 12
WBrim Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 5:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Jan. 15 2013, 10:38 am)
Man, some of you people are gross

I wipe myself down twice daily with a damp wash rag (unless of course it is freezing)

+1
I like to clean up as often as possible and especially do it during the warmer months. I find it to very refreshing to clean up after a day of wandering. cleaning up in the middle of the day works I really like it when I get to go for a swim.
 Post Number: 13
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 6:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wipe myself off with a wet washcloth once in a while, at least every few days.  If in a distant place, I like to clean up more that that before flying home.  At a minimum I buy a pack of wet wipes on the way to the airport and sometimes I even buy a new tee shirt and underwear for the trip home.
 Post Number: 14
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 6:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Chuck D @ Jan. 15 2013, 5:15 pm)
Same as I do at home, first Saturday of every month, except maybe for December, January, and February when it may be too cold.

Smoking a couple of extra cigars in a closed space should work in winter.
 Post Number: 15
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 15 2013, 6:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sani-gel on hands throughout the day before eating. Wet wipes before bed, concentrating first on the 3 P's (pits, paws, and privates) and then use the same wipe for a quickie over the rest. I'd rather have a few wipes to carry and throw away then end up needing to wash a funky sleeping bag after every trip...

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 16
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 12:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

With modern synthetic clothing, I usually go swim in a lake or stream in the PM if sunny, followed by those camp wipes.  Gives all the fish seasoning for those fishing downstream too.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 17
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 2:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wet wipes for me. I bought some Doc Bronner's, but need to get a smaller container with a dropper top. Didn't know better, and took a small *sip* to brush my teeth with the first time I used it. Yeah...
 Post Number: 18
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kleenex makes some great face and body wipes that I take advantage of.
Sanitation shouldn't stop at the trail head.
 Post Number: 19
paula53 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use the bucket method. Heat some water, pour it into a collapsable water bucket filled 3/4 full.  After a hard days backpacking, I like to wash my clothing, go for a swim, then wash my hair.
Nothing beats being in camp with clean clothes and clean body.
 Post Number: 20
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Alcohol based hand sanitizer throughout the day.  I also pack a small bag of baby wipes to clean up with when i feel nasty.

Otherwise if its been more than two or three days or its really warm out and I get stanky, I jump in a lake/river to rinse down.  I've also done the bag and bandanna bath if the water was questionable, or leech filled.

Biggest deal I still havent delt with is the beard on week long or longer trips.  I really need to do somethign about that but its not until day 3-4 our that I remember it  :D
 Post Number: 21
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 3:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Wet wipes before bed, concentrating first on the 3 P's (pits, paws, and privates) and then use the same wipe for a quickie over the rest.

I think I would rather do the "quickie over the rest" prior to P 3. ???

I've found brushing my teeth at least 2x a day and flossing improve my feel over all.  

I will do my hands before food w/wipes or gel and my feet when I get to camp

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 22
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(booyah @ Jan. 16 2013, 12:50 pm)
Biggest deal I still havent delt with is the beard on week long or longer trips.  I really need to do somethign about that but its not until day 3-4 our that I remember it  :D

What about a beard needs to be dealt with?  I ask genuinely because I don't really know.

On long trips, I just do what all the through-hikers do.  Let it grow and pay no more attention to it.

- Mike

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 23
RebeccaD Search for posts by this member.
Double Arch, Arches N.P.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 5:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Typically jump in a lake or river daily (one reason we like to get into camp early) and rinse clothes.  I like to be at least sort of clean when I go to bed.  Tooth care is unchanged from home.  Floss is light and multi-use, and brush and a little toothpaste minor.  

My hair gets rinsed if the lake suitable for full immersion and day still warm for drying it.  Otherwise it stays dirty because of being long and thick and hard to wash.  No shampoo out there --way too hard to rinse out.  Actually no soap of any kind to avoid polluting water sources.  If water is limited, it's cold, or otherwise inappropriate to swim, I'll do a sponge bath from the bucket.

After the trip we usually head to town and get a commercial campsite with showers (it's almost always at least another day of driving to get home).

--------------
Writerly thoughts, book reviews, and random short fiction found at
The Ninja Librarian Blog
 Post Number: 24

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 16 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Jan. 16 2013, 3:45 pm)
Wet wipes before bed, concentrating first on the 3 P's (pits, paws, and privates) and then use the same wipe for a quickie over the rest.

I think I would rather do the "quickie over the rest" prior to P 3. ???

I've found brushing my teeth at least 2x a day and flossing improve my feel over all.  

I will do my hands before food w/wipes or gel and my feet when I get to camp

Yeah, I saw how that came out after I posted, not exactly what I was trying to say. Was going to edit but then figured it probably would slip away. Face is first, privates definitely last.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 25
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 7:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Was going to edit but then figured it probably would slip away.

ya can't get away with much around here :)

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 7:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What I was trying to say is that I think of it in this order. That's the way I learned it years ago: "clean up = 3 Ps" as almost a single thought. If I was going to scrub my rear and then my face with the same wipe then I might as well not at all...

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 27
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 8:40 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jan. 16 2013, 4:21 pm)

(booyah @ Jan. 16 2013, 12:50 pm)

What about a beard needs to be dealt with?  I ask genuinely because I don't really know.

On long trips, I just do what all the through-hikers do.  Let it grow and pay no more attention to it.

- Mike

Hey GBH

My issue is just one that after about 3 days, I look like a guy whos been out there for two weeks, and it really starts to annoy me.

When i try to sleep it pokes my neck, and just generally contributes to an unclean feeling.

Normally I have the tech-guy goatee and mustache, but a week out and I come back with a full beard, thats really long in the goatee/mustache area  :D
 Post Number: 28
red dog Search for posts by this member.
Elev  2,180'

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 8:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I actually carry those disposable razors on most trips…and yes, generally shave every day.
I’ve been told this is weird behavior.  Guess that makes me weird.

--------------
Arizona
 Post Number: 29

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 11:18 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Weird is good.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 30
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 17 2013, 11:25 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(red dog @ Jan. 17 2013, 8:46 am)
I actually carry those disposable razors on most trips…and yes, generally shave every day.
I’ve been told this is weird behavior.  Guess that makes me weird.

It's not what makes you weird, it's just a symptom of your weirdness.  We probably don't have time here to get into the root cause.   :D
37 replies since Jan. 15 2013, 10:40 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Washing Up
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions