2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Do you store your bag in its stuff sack?, Not compressed< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:09 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just checking in to see what you guys do.
I normally store my synthetic sleeping bags in their stuff sacks (not compressed).
Has anyone ever ran into any issues with this?
The new bag is a Marmot Trestles 15, with spirafill.
My new bags just showed up and I want them to last.
I've never had any issues before, but it's worth a check.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

By "stuff sack", do you mean the large cotton storage sacks?  In that case: yes, I do store them in there at home.  I'd hang them up, but don't have the spare closet-space.

But an actual stuff sack (the smaller nylon bag for stuffing it), it's pretty-much impossible to store one in there uncompressed.  That's the point, really.

ETA: Or are you talking about a compression sack with the compression straps, where you're stuffing it in there but not cinching down the straps all the way?  I just realized you might have meant that.  In that case, no, not long term anyway.  The bag is still compressed then, just not compressed quite as much.  You want to leave the bags as uncompressed as possible when storing long-term.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This isn't quite an answer to your question, but...

I have two down bags.  I hang both of them in a closet when not in use, and use the little stuff sacks they came with on the trail.  Since I hang them when not on the trail I don't have any need for the larger bags that come with them.
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 7:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I store mine in the mesh bags they come in
 Post Number: 5
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 8:16 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Large cotton storage bags.  The work well.  REI has them for $10.00 if one didn't come with your originial purchase.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 9:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When its in a "stuff sack" it IS compressed.

As others I use either the light, breathable, large cotton bag that comes with many down bags or a large cotton "laundry bag", or and this is my preference, laid out under a protective cotton sheet so its fully fluffed. Guest bedroom beds are great for that.
 Post Number: 7
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 18 2013, 10:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the replies.
As I mentioned, I use synthetics primarily (humid smokey mountains), so I don't get the nice mesh bags that come with most down bags. Most of the synthetics I use actually come shipped in the stuff sack, and I imagine they could be stored there for years before selling them. I wouldn't think it would harm them if they shipped them that way. Normally that's what I do,
but with my new bag it came in a huge box, not in the sack so I didn't know if there was a difference with the fill type. Spirafill it's called. Perhaps more prone to not lofting back up. It's super lofty, so I want to keep that.  
I think I'm going to hang it just in case. I have enough room for a couple of them.
 Post Number: 8
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 8:37 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I'm not on the trail... I hang my bag up so it's not compressed at all.  It also has a chance to air out and get any trail stink out.  Makes it easier to store... hanging it on a wall or in a closet than if it's in a sack and forced to sit in a corner some place.  

Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
 Post Number: 9
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 11:15 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Even my synthetic bags are stored in a large mesh bag, not just my down ones.
 Post Number: 10
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 11:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I store my down bag in my pack in a stuff sack.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 11
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 5:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My syn bags are unrolled under the couch or fluffed into a large pillowcase, masquerading as pillows on the guest room bed. #apartmentstoragesolutions
 Post Number: 12
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I store mine in the stock storage sack unless they are mesh or small. I bought about 6 of the REI cotton storage sacks and use them in place of the mesh ones to keep dust out and just because they are huge. Any smaller cotton sacks I use for my quilts which don't need as much room.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 13
DukeFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Tigger @ Jan. 19 2013, 11:54 am)

I'm leaving my down bag in my backpack compressed and ready to shake out when out and about, is that what you do?
 Post Number: 14
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 7:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(DukeFan @ Jan. 19 2013, 4:19 pm)

(Tigger @ Jan. 19 2013, 11:54 am)

I'm leaving my down bag in my backpack compressed and ready to shake out when out and about, is that what you do?

Yep.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 15
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 12:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I hang my down bags in my closest in their cotton storage bags. My synthetic remains loosely piled on the floor in my closet,. Synthetics tend to be fragile compared with down and suffer worse for long term compression. Storing them in the stuff sacks qualifies as compression. Chances are if you've bought a bag that came pre-stored compressed it is already compromised. Most major manufacturers do not store and ship them stuffed AFAIK. And reputable retailers don't store them this way either.

That being said, it's probably not a disaster. But for the future, i'd probably ensure my bags are not stored compressed if I were you.
14 replies since Jan. 18 2013, 7:09 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Do you store your bag in its stuff sack?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions