2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Tent Advice, Tent Advice< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jon15tx Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 2:48 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey guys, i'm new to backpacking but trying to find a good start up tent.  I've seemed to narrow my choices between the marmot limelight 2p or the rei half dome 2 plus.  Any recommendations between these 2 or others to look into.  I'm really not trying to spend much more than $200 on this one.  Any input would be greatly appreciated but I am looking for a 2p tent.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 2:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

While I know Marmot makes good stuff, I've never had one of their tents.  I have   had a number of REI tents over the years and have always been pleased with their performance and price.  Best bang for the buck IMO.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 3
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 2:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Plus with the REI tents if you have a problem at any time you can take it back and get a new one or money back.
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The REI tent is the one I would personally go with. I have had two REI tents that I upgraded from only when I wanted to. Well made and weathered many a storm over the years.

Mind you, I have nothing against the Marmot tents either. I just think that the REI halfdome is a great "starter" design. Basic, functional, and works out of the box...errr, bag. The warranty is just icing on the cake. REI has the best warranty in the business.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Walkinman Search for posts by this member.
A rainbow

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 4:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm not sure how the warranty is any different for either one. Buy a Limelight at REI and you have exactly the same offer.

They're both good tents. I have a Limelight I ought thru the REI attic, so it has no warranty at all. It's a good tent though.

--------------
Guided Alaska backpacking and hiking trips

"What good is a used up world and how can it be worth having?" -- Sting, All This Time.
 Post Number: 6
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 4:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Both good tents in terms of build quality. Do you need the extra room (length) of the HD plus? That would be a decider.

If not the weight difference might be worth considering. Remember you'll be carrying this stuff.  :)

http://www.rei.com/product/828149/marmot-limelight-2p-tent

http://www.rei.com/product/794296/rei-half-dome-2-plus-tent
 Post Number: 7
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 19 2013, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used the REI tent for about a year. Really great tent, with good ventilation(that little vent helps a lot), but it was a bit heavy. Are you in a humid area? If so, the vent is priceless. Condensation isn't fun.
I eventually upgraded to something lighter, so maybe going with the Marmot would be a better initial investment if you intend to go lighter in the future.
It really comes down to weight or ventilation.
Both are very reliable, and built to last.
 Post Number: 8
Bazarov Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 2:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For 200 dollars you should get a tarptent Contrail. Check out Tarptents cause they are seriously good. Find em at Tarptent.com . They have lots of options like if you wanted to do some touring you could use the rainbow well. The scarp is double walled for a lack of condensation. Ventilation is less important then have proper tent setup and location. But these tents have excellent ventilation for comfort and its adjustable. Please do yourself a favor and check it out. Also a good community to check out is backpackinglight.com for reference and research and gear deals.
 Post Number: 9
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 8:09 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Tarptents are good, but maybe not the best 'starter' tents.  Both of the tents you're looking at would work well.  Pick one and get out there.

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 10
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Bazarov @ Jan. 20 2013, 2:26 pm)
For 200 dollars you should get a tarptent Contrail. Check out Tarptents cause they are seriously good. Find em at Tarptent.com . They have lots of options like if you wanted to do some touring you could use the rainbow well. The scarp is double walled for a lack of condensation. Ventilation is less important then have proper tent setup and location. But these tents have excellent ventilation for comfort and its adjustable. Please do yourself a favor and check it out. Also a good community to check out is backpackinglight.com for reference and research and gear deals.

Franco?
:D

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 11
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 9:23 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Also, though I have never owned an REI or Marmot tent, I used an REI half dome in hurricane force winds in Mexico and it held up just fine while other tents failed.
Did have an inch or two of sand in the tent in the morning but hey, nothing's perfect!
And, you can't beat that return policy.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 9:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Contrail is a solo tent while the OP wrote they required a two person. So, yeah, there's that......
 Post Number: 13
Jim Fuller Search for posts by this member.
Benevolent Master

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(no_granola @ Jan. 20 2013, 6:09 pm)
Tarptents are good, but maybe not the best 'starter' tents.  Both of the tents you're looking at would work well.  Pick one and get out there.

What he said.   A lot of us wind up after a few tents going to boutique manufacturers, like Tarptent or Stephenson's, but you don't know what you like/want until you try a few.   REI markets very good tents.  Marmont, too.

--------------
Uh-Oh
 Post Number: 14
vinovampire Search for posts by this member.
Winter is Coming

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 11:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't think anybody mentioned this yet: The REI Half Dome has two doors, while the Marmot Limelight only has one. Since the OP mentioned needed a 2-person tent, this feature may be worth noting. Having two doors means: (a) more vestibule space for boots and stuff; (b) no crawling over each other in the middle of the night, should you have to get up; and © better venting options. Also, it's nice to have two door options if the wind changes or such.

I own an old Half Dome and a good friend of mine has the Limelight. So, it's likely that you'd be happy with either tent. Good luck with your purchase!
 Post Number: 15
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 7:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What about the Kelty Salida 2? It's much lighter then either the Marmot or REI, same floor space as the Marmot, and much cheaper than either. Has only 2 poles so might feel tighter inside (walls may not be kept as vertical without a brow pole) and has only 1 door, but has a trail weight of 3.75 lbs and can be found for under $150. Backpacker Mag editor's choice 2011.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 7:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Kelty Salida. I second this motion.
 Post Number: 17
Ldyblade Search for posts by this member.
Blade Mistress of the Olympics

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 8:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Having owned a Half Dome and now a Quarter Dome T3 Plus, I have to say that these are solid tents.  Living in the Olympic Peninsula, the typical weather here is rain, monsoon, then more rain.  I am picky about not getting water in my tent and both of these pass the test.  The bonus on the T3 is the space...When it's dark from 4pm to 8am in the winter, I want space to move around in and a spot for my wet gear. So, definitely a good call on the Plus...
 Post Number: 18
Drift Woody Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 9:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(jon15tx @ Jan. 19 2013, 1:48 pm)
I've seemed to narrow my choices between the marmot limelight 2p or the rei half dome 2 plus.

The big difference between those two tents is the Half Dome has 2 side doors & 2 vestibules, while the Limelight has only 1 side door. If you're planning to have 2 people in this tent, 2 doors is a huge plus. This gives each person access to his/her gear in the vestibule (the covered space under the rainfly, just outside the door) and you won't have to crawl over the other person (or have him/her crawl over you) when nature calls.

Personally, I would not consider any 2-person tent that doesn't have 2 side doors with vestibules. There are some outstanding lightweight 2 person tents with a single large opening at the head that allows 2 people to sit side-by-side with their legs out, but that configuration does not have the ease of entrance/egress and access to the vestibule that you get with 2 side doors.

2 more factors you need to consider:

1) How much room do you need? If you're snuggling with a significant other, extra room might not be as important. But you may find that extra room is worth some extra weight. Also consider peak height; you want to be able to sit up without your head pressing against the inside roof.

2) What weather extremes (wind, snow) will you encounter? I had the original Half Dome and it was a very sturdy tent. My current tent is the Six Moon Designs Lunar Duo tarptent. It is very roomy and weighs only 41 ounces but the new model is $310, and it's though not quite as bombproof as the Half Dome it can withstand some pretty harsh weather if pitched properly with extra guylines.

I've decided to switch to hammock camping whenever possible. I borrowed a Warbonnet Blackbird for a trip in October, and everything I heard from hammock devotees proved true for me -- I slept more comfortably and my back felt better in the morning. Hammocks have a major advantage over tents in that you can hang anywhere suitable trees can be found. Sometimes finding a nice level spot in the backcountry is difficult, especially if you've hiked all day to reach a destination and the only good spots have been taken. Also, your gear will stay drier. Hang the tarp first, then you have shelter for emptying your pack and hanging the hammock. In the morning you don't have to deal with a tent bottom that is wet, muddy, full of grit, and possibly punctured.

Anyway, that's my $.02. Happy Trails  :)

--------------
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors; we borrow it from our children.
-- Native American proverb
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just throwing out some ideas here..
Big Agnes just released some new tents a few weeks ago.
This would probably interest  you.
https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/lonespring2

Plus an older one that's still great.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/BurnRidge2
 Post Number: 20
kykcamper Search for posts by this member.
^ that stands for kayak

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 11:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Burn Ridge 3, and I can tell you it is a great tent.
Personally, I'd prefer the two, but wanted the space of the 3 in case I ever need to share with a friend.

--------------
Psylocide - "Well... on one side you have uneducated red necks and on the other you have pseudo-intelligent hippy liberal douches."
Paulbrown - "a deck of cards is heavier than many admit, will you really use them? consider replacing with a plastic bottle filled with booze."
 Post Number: 21
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 7:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(kykcamper @ Jan. 21 2013, 11:49 pm)
I have the Burn Ridge 3, and I can tell you it is a great tent.
Personally, I'd prefer the two, but wanted the space of the 3 in case I ever need to share with a friend.

+1 on getting an REI tent.  I've got a REI Taj 3 that my wife an I use on weekend trips and it's held up great... even in some pretty extreme weather.  Like the three person amount of room but is still light enough for us to split the weight.  I think REI tents are like the generics you buy at the grocery store... same quality but with a less well known label on them (although REI has become quite a well known brand as of late).  

Definitely go with the REI and if you find that you're really into this backpacking thing after a few years... then look at upgrading to a lighter tent like one by Big Agnes or maybe a tarp tent.

Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 12:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

One thing: do you want this for two people or just a 2 person tent for the additional room for yourself?
21 replies since Jan. 19 2013, 2:48 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Tent Advice
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions