2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Down Socks, Cold feet during the night.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
scouthiker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 9:51 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm a cold sleeper and during the wee hours of the night my feet get especially cold.  I have been thinking about getting a pair of down "socks", not down booties since I really don't care to be able to wear them around the campsite, in order to improve my night's sleep.  Does anybody know where I could pick up a good pair of down socks, of course at a reasonable price, that would permit me enjoy a better night's sleep?

If anyone has any other suggestions as to how I could improve the warmth of my feet while sleeping, please let me know.

Thanks.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 10:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A couple of things - if you routinely sleep in the socks you wear during the day, pack a pair just for sleeping and keep them clean and dry. Wearing damp socks makes your feet cold.

I have a pair of Goose Feet down booties and they are spiffy. I believe you can find them easily by googling. I layer them over a clean pair of wool socks. I also have a pair of Primaloft booties that work pretty well too but aren't so luxuriously warm and light.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 3
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 11:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Down booties would work.  Nothing says you have to wear them around camp.  And as AT noted, definitely change into fresh socks before bed if you aren't already, even if your day socks still "feel" dry.

If that fails, bring a wide-mouth Nalgene and fill it with piping hot water (seal it tight) before bed... stuck down in the foot of your bag, it'll warm your feet up quick and keep them that way most the night.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 4
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Do they even make such a thing as down socks???? My wife and I each have down booties and they are great to wear at night. We both very rarely wear them out of the tent or cabin. Again like the others have said change into a clean pair of wool socks (maybe even a thicker pair) as that may help.
 Post Number: 5
Hiker01 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 1:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My wife has a pair of down socks from goosefeet and loves them.
 Post Number: 6
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Would be nice if people  read the comments already posted before adding their own..
Anyway just to make it even more obvious here is the link to the Goosefeet socks :
https://goosefeetgear.com/products/1-down-socks
Western Mountaineering make a light pair of booties that are pretty much socks with a thin sole (3oz per pair) :
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.c....Booties
PHD (UK) also have down socks :
http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/product...._id=299
All of them are somewhat expensive so I would suggest first to try some fleece versions or even angora/merino fluffy types but make sure they are one size up from what you normally wear, you do not want them tight against the skin and as already suggested wearing dirty or damp socks is counterproductive.
Something like these :

http://www.rei.com/product....e-socks
 Post Number: 7
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 20 2013, 5:08 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

down moc.
You need to sign up for their dealflyer coupons. They send new deals every day.
 Post Number: 8
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 7:22 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A lot of times if my feet are cold I put on a hat...assuming you are not wearing one try that first.

Or try a company called Goosefeet, they make down socks

Ducks as Franco throws a punch.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 11:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Down booties can be had for less than half the price of the Goose Feet, or the mocs oldnoler linked to at a third of the price.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 10
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 11:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've got a pair of REI down socks that I rarely wear simply because they are too darn warm except for the most extreme conditions.  But if you have chronic cold feet, they should do the job nicely.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 11:26 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There are down booties with a tough sole, so you can walk around in them. Goose Feet have no soles unless you add the overbootie and they have a choice between one with a more rugged sole and one with just a CCF footbed. The over bootie makes it possible to take off the dirty sole before getting back in the bag.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 12
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 3:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I would think the booties would be better as they are multipurpose. At least you can wear them around camp as opposed to the socks. You could also put some heat warmer  packs on you current socks.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 8:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Goosfeet sock so far..

booties/socks ...
I have the WM Down Booties, about 7oz.
Now I wish I had bought the Flash version (3oz) or the Goosefeet (from 2,2oz) because they pack a lot smaller and obviously lighter and since our snow is often either wet or icy I still use my boots to walk around at camp.
Note that you can choose the fill with the Goosefeet to match the desired temperature.
The REI version is a lot cheaper but I would guess twice the weight and not as compressible.
Anyway I don't take my WM booties with me because they don't really fit in with the rest of my layers and at 20f (our usual min temp) I often take my socks off during the night.
If you spent a lot of time in the tent and using the vestibule then the booties (with sole sole) would be better.
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 8:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Jan. 22 2013, 8:02 pm)
I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned the Goosfeet sock so far..

And the prize for not reading the thread goes to....

Funniest bit is that one mention of the Goosefeet is his.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 15
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I + whatever GooseFeet Gear... I have a pair of large down socks, with M50 shell and 25% overfill and they weigh 2.1 oz for the pair. I also have the overbooties which are great when at camp since I can slide these over my socks and keep my toes nice and warm if I need to tromp about at camp. I also have his pants, and yea, I love them too! Also, as an added bonus, I got to hike with Ben on a recent hike and it was a pleasure to get to meet him. He really knows his stuff when it comes to materials, and building this stuff, as well as has lots of experience on the trail, so his products are made for hikers.

Here is a review I put up on my blog, along with a video:

http://sticksblog.com/2012....booties

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
 Post Number: 16
SWest Search for posts by this member.
No And Then!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

QCHIKER mentioned it, but it bears repeating. Hand warmers! Just toss one in the bottom of your bag. Thats what I always do when my feet are cold.

--------------
The woods are lovely dark and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep. -Frost
 Post Number: 17
LyttleBryan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 6:57 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought a pair of these for my wife a couple Christmas' ago.  As soon as I received them in the mail, I got myself a pair.  Over the years my friends have slowly bought they're own after they saw mine.

It has a tough foam and cordura outer shell that you can wear around the campfire.  I've stood in snow 3" deep with them and walked through slush without any problem.  When I get to the tent, I just slip the shell off and am left with a nice down sock.

http://featheredfriends.com/index.php/down-camp-booties-1552.html
 Post Number: 18
leadbelly2550 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 11:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

integral designs makes primaloft-insulated 'hot socks.'  hot socks.  those goose feet gear down socks look pretty nice, though.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 5:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Almost There

OK, I'll make my ironic  remarks even more obvious , just for you ..........................
(see post N8)
 Post Number: 20
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 6:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

duck feet aren't quite as good but...

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 21
ponderosa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My feet are cold pretty much every minute of my life.  I have a good bag & mat, and do all the tricks to stay warm (clean clothes, a little exercise without sweating right before bed, a snack, hat & gloves, etc) and still struggle to get and stay warm at night. For cold feet, my strategies are clean socks and down booties, with hand warmers in between. The warmers stay warm for at least six hours, and sometimes up to eight.  They make a huge difference.

--------------
The harder the toil, the sweeter the rest.
 Post Number: 22

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 6:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm more a fan of bear feet.

Heavier though.

--------------

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 6:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

An elephant foot would keep you warmer.
And don't tell me that it's irrelevant
 Post Number: 24
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 7:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Moose feet?

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 7:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Isn't that an amplifier ?
But , yes they can get warm
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Pigeon toed with Goose Feet. I suppose that just makes me fowl.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 27

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

BTW , for those not familiar with the French expression "elephant foot"  (pied d'elephant in English)
this is it (the red bit...) :

a bit big to have one on each foot but warm nevertheless.
(also spelled : elephants foot and elephant's foot...)
 Post Number: 28
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Don't know if the OP ever got anything but heres some at BPL:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin....d=72795

I have an elephant foot. (Bask Yeti) I also have an elephant's... ah never mind. ;-)

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 29
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 12:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have down booties and find them cold. I think the problem is that if you put down booties on cold feet, it can take forever to generate enough heat to warm your feet. Same as getting into a down sleeping bag when you're cold. For me, any other kind of sock is warmer because it gives an immediate feeling of warmth.

My down booties are heavy. I would rather take an extra pair of hiking socks, which can be used for more than one purpose.
 Post Number: 30
tarol Search for posts by this member.
Well I never!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 6:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a pair of Sierra Designs down socks, they're lighter and more compact than down booties (which I also own) - I believe I got both on sale at Sierra Trading Post.

Also look into carrying a pair of toe warmers :)

--------------
Got elevation? www.tarol.com
32 replies since Jan. 20 2013, 9:51 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Down Socks
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions