2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Sierra Designs Solar 20 Down, $89 at Dick's< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
HuntersHikes Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 2:10 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Anyone have any experience with this sleeping bag?  It's at Dick's for $89, and the specs don't seem too shabby for the price: 550-fill, 2lb. 9oz. weight, 7x15" packed size, and EN-rated to 32* comfortable/21* limit.  Just seems like a decent entry-level down bag with good specs for under a hundred bucks.  Thoughts?

--------------
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball, and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without considering if there are men on base.

Latitude:N 42° 7' 34.7232"
Longitude:W 71° 42' 28.6164"

www.huntershikes.com
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 2:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

550 fill  and 2 lbs - not really great quality. Heavier than a bag with higher fill power and probably heavier fabric as well. Lower quality down tends to have more feathers (down isn't feathers, or at least not the kind with quills that poke through nylon). I have a 550 fill pillow that actually has a prickly feel, due to quills poking through the fabric.

I'd still recommend to anyone intending to be in backpacking for years to come to really invest in a high quality, light, compressible bag that will last for decades and just take care of it.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 3
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 4:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

That sounds pretty good to me.
There are a lot of people who will convince you that you can't have a decent piece of gear under 200 bucks, but you can. Not everyone needs the best. Good is still good.
550 fill is plenty good enough. That's a light bag, especially if you're new to the sport. More of a 3 season bag, but you know that going in. So yeah.
I would give it a go for that price for sure.
 Post Number: 4
fifeplayer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 6:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Jan. 21 2013, 4:26 pm)
That sounds pretty good to me.
There are a lot of people who will convince you that you can't have a decent piece of gear under 200 bucks, but you can. Not everyone needs the best. Good is still good.
550 fill is plenty good enough. That's a light bag, especially if you're new to the sport. More of a 3 season bag, but you know that going in. So yeah.
I would give it a go for that price for sure.

^^ What he said.
It's not the best bag in the world, but that's a very good deal for $89, especially if you're looking for a warm-ish weather bag that will last forever without costing a mint. I'd be getting one if I needed another bag.
 Post Number: 5
skolbe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 8:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You can probably use that bag a few years and sell it for a decent price. The biggest issue with bags is the ability to compress them in your pack. That was my reason for switching to a Golite Quilt. Sold my synthetic bag and only lost $15 2 years later. The way I viewed it $7.50 a year for a sleeping bag is cheap. You will probably be able to sell this later for decent money if kept clean. I always use a sleeping bag liner.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 21 2013, 10:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(skolbe @ Jan. 21 2013, 8:00 pm)
You can probably use that bag a few years and sell it for a decent price.

Yeah, no. Don't think so. (cheap bags I've had have no resale value, I ended up giving them away.)

Real resale value would be a well cared for Western Mountaineering or Feathered Friends - you'd get a pretty good amount of interest in a used bag of that quality.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 7
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 10:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've never had any problems selling off budget gear in the past.
You just have to know your market. You may only get 50-60 percent back, but that's still pretty great in my opinion.
If you're selling used gear with any discount less that 30 percent full price you're pretty much taking people anyway.
 Post Number: 8
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:02 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Other than possible odor issues from the lower quality down, the fact that it is EN rated is good. I don't know about being a great deal, but a good enough deal to be worth it if you're not into waiting for a better quality bag. If you are patient, you might find a diamond in the rough. I don't often see good quality down bags less than $100.

In the end, I'll take just about any down bag over a synthetic. The fact that they will out-live their counterpart is worth it alone.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 9
skolbe Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 11:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Jan. 21 2013, 10:25 pm)

I live in the flatland midwest and there is a lot less access to good backpacking destinations, so people are less likely to be looking for the premium gear. I have bought almost all of my gear at 40% to 75% off - because the stuff just doesn't sell here. Most of the gear is 50% off and the used stuff seems to sell for more than I can buy gear for if patient. It helps if you are friendly with staff and they warn you when stuff is going on clearance.
 Post Number: 10
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 2:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I bought a Marmot 45 degree down bag at Dicks 3-4 years ago and it was actually pretty decent.  Around the same price  It was 650 down.

I sold it to a friend in a combo of bag, pack, (GoLite) and tent for under $200.  He has been using it since...I think I lost $50 on the set.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 8:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Done a little bit of research, and it has all the same specs of the kelty cosmic that has been positively reviewed here, minus two ounces and one inch of stuff size, and the cosmic costs $50 more...it's no W.M. bag, but for ninety bucks I can't find any major flaws...

--------------
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball, and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without considering if there are men on base.

www.huntershikes.com
 Post Number: 12
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 8:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HuntersHikes @ Jan. 23 2013, 6:25 pm)
Done a little bit of research, and it has all the same specs of the kelty cosmic that has been positively reviewed here, minus two ounces and one inch of stuff size, and the cosmic costs $50 more...it's no W.M. bag, but for ninety bucks I can't find any major flaws...

Well, you won't really know about "major" flaws until you use it.  EN Ratings don't tell you about quality control and stitching and the like.

However, at that price for those specs, that seems pretty damned good for a down bag.  No, it's not high-end by any means (my go-to summer down bag from Marmot weighs about half that, but costs nearly triple).  But if that's the price that allows you to get out and use it, then go for it I say.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 13
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 12:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sierra Designs makes good bags in general. I'd give it that much at a minimum.

--------------
 Post Number: 14
bigredd Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 8:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

You might want to check out the selection of sleeping bags at Sierra Trading Post.  Lots of decent bags for around $100 (free shipping) after using a 35% off coupon.
 Post Number: 15
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 10:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(GoBlueHiker @ Jan. 23 2013, 8:32 pm)
Well, you won't really know about "major" flaws until you use it.  EN Ratings don't tell you about quality control and stitching and the like.

However, at that price for those specs, that seems pretty damned good for a down bag.  No, it's not high-end by any means (my go-to summer down bag from Marmot weighs about half that, but costs nearly triple).  But if that's the price that allows you to get out and use it, then go for it I say.

This +100! That being said.

Resale for more than a pittance is unlikely for that type of bag, so I wouldn't figure that into the equation.

As AlmostThere pointed out, there is a large difference between 550 (duck) down and 650 (goose) down. The quality of the down itself is much better at 650 - frankly, 550 down in my experience tends to actually have odour and definitely a bit prickly. Which means you'll lose more down (well, feather mostly) to bits poking out of your bag.

Where are you hiking? What temperatures do you expect? This will definitely be a 32* bag. The EN rating is a good indicator.

If I were you I'd ask myself this - are you buying this because it is all your budget will allow, or because the price point makes it seem like a good deal? If it is the former, than that bag will do you well, but if it is the latter, you've taken $90 that you could have put into a much, much nicer bag and spent it on one that is ok, but possibly not what you'd really wanted/needed.

Personally, unless it was absolutely vital to my budget I would save another $50-$100 and get a much lighter bag for the same warmth or a wamer bag for the same weight I've purchased 650 down 20* bags from REI outlet for $100. For $150 you can find clearance 15* marmot 650 bags.  

Good luck!!
 Post Number: 16
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just browsing the 'sale' tab at rei.com and they have the Kelty Cosmic down 20* on sale for $97.  2.5 lb for the 'regular' size, 20oz of 550 fill down.

Advantage of purchasing from REI is that you can return if it doesn't work for you.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

awesome points people, thanks so much for chiming in... @SmokeyBear, I appreciate your comment quite a bit about taking the $90 that I could have put into something more worthwhile...the beauty of this site, right here.  Thanks a lot guys, I'll be sure to pop back in with more questions down the road!

--------------

www.huntershikes.com
 Post Number: 18
SmokeyBear Search for posts by this member.
I know shoe-fu

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 12:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for saying

BTW - this is in the REI outlet store right now:

http://www.rei.com/product....ial-buy

I own this bag, though the regular version not the long. It's not blow-your-mind amazing, but it has 600 fill down, and is almost certainly a warmer bag for nearly the same weight. As a long version this is 3 ox more, so if you're not over 6' tall you'll probably find the extra length undesireable.

The 15° rating is a bit generous, it's not EN rated, but probably a 20-25° bag. Sometimes they go further on sale and you can pick them for around $100 (I did ). I also have the women's long version which they rate at 10° but is probably a 15-20° bag - I really like that one, even more than the men's version (better loft).

Anyway, keep your eyes open there - if you don't need a bag ASAP good deals pop up regularly. You can sometimes find the Marmot sawtooth bag on for around $175 - a proper EN rated 15° bag.
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 7:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Awesome, thanks for the heads up...will keep checking the outlet.

--------------

www.huntershikes.com
 Post Number: 20
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 1:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Jan. 21 2013, 10:25 pm)
cheap bags I've had have no resale value, I ended up giving them away.

My experience is that gear that is carefully selected at the lower end of the price range is the easiest gear of all to resell. There are many people entering the sport who look for decent, cheap gear. I think this sleeping bag falls in that category. Where else are you going to get a 20F down bag for $89??

One problem I see is the lack of reviews. This bag was made up specifically for Sierra Designs. It has no equivalent in the current SD lineup. So there are only 8 reviews and none of them refer to temperatures below 40F. Two essential specs are missing: the fill weight and the loft. I'm looking for those and if I find them I'll let you know.

In the meantime I bet someone here can tell you how much loft you need at 20F with 550 down.

I agree that the Cosmic Down should be as good or better, with a safer return policy at REI. It's also true that some hunting might turn up something else on sale, but the Solar Down still looks fine to me. If $89 is your price range, this is as good as it gets for a 20F down bag.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 8:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Loft, I don't know; it has 21oz. of fill...the Kelty Cosmic has 20oz. of 550, and gets pretty rave reviews all around for a ~$100 down bag.

--------------

www.huntershikes.com
 Post Number: 22
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 10:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTramper @ Feb. 01 2013, 10:36 am)
In the meantime I bet someone here can tell you how much loft you need at 20F with 550 down.

It's EN rated to 21F at the limit, meaning....You better have something to supplement if you want to be warm at 20F.

--------------
 Post Number: 23

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 6:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dick's also has another made-for-Dick's sleeping bag, a Marmot Aspen Adventurer 15* Down, EN-rated (to what, I forget), 600-fill, 2lbs 9oz, packs to 8x15...found some solid reviews online and read (even on this site) that Marmot stands behind the bag even though it's a for-store product...sells for $139...not too shabby!

--------------

www.huntershikes.com
 Post Number: 24
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 11:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HuntersHikes @ Jan. 23 2013, 8:25 pm)

Kelty confirmed to me that the Solar Down is the Dick's version of the Cosmic Down, with the same fill wt. of 21 oz.
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 15 2014, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went back two weeks ago, and the same bag was sitting on the same shelf...tag was missing, so I brought it to register and it rang up at $69.97 clearance...for that price I couldn't pass it up...brought it home and put it in the dryer with some tennis balls on air fluff, resulting in good loft...contacted SD and they confirmed what TrailTamper said - SD & Kelty are owned by same company and the Solar Down is the same as the Cosmic Down, which gets great reviews at ~$150...so I essentially just bought a Cosmic Down for $69.  Whammy!

--------------

www.huntershikes.com
 Post Number: 26
mattofcarlisle Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Mar. 16 2014, 9:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

The cosmic is a great bag - I bought 4 of them for my kids and I.  My girls & I slept out on the snow last weekend (in a tent).  It will be years before I can justify dropping the money on a WM or FF high fill count bag.  Until then, the Keltys will serve us just fine.
25 replies since Jan. 21 2013, 2:10 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Sierra Designs Solar 20 Down
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions