2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Mountain Hardwear Lamina Bags, -15 and -30< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 1:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I sold my winter bag a few seasons ago w/out securing a replacement and quite frankly don't want to spend a whole ton of money on a new one as my winter camping is nil...(due to no bag..).  So short of GoBlue lending me his new Marmot I need a bag and would prefer not to rent one when needed.  (which would really make the most sense but no one has ever accused me of being sensible)

Campmor has the MH Lamina -15 and -30 on sale, both for under $200.  I think that is a tremendous value for either.

I have some of their other products and like them very much..especially my Phantom 32.

I'm ok w/the bulk of a synthetic for winter camping so weight/size are no issue to me.

Anyone have any experience w/them?  hard to find many reviews on them.

I would probably opt for the -30.

Thanks in advance!!

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
DustinTN Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 2:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Lamina 35 and really like it.  I realize that's quite a bit different than the temp ratings you're looking for.  I will say, however, that I'm 5'10 and the regular is REALLY cramped for me.  In fact, I ripped the seams slightly in the foot box because it's so tight.  If I had it to do over, I'd buy a long.  Other than that, the bag is really warm (I've slept comfortably in 20 degree weather) and packs quite small for a synthetic.
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 2:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

and packs quite small for a synthetic.

I've heard that about the Lamina line...

--------------
 Post Number: 4
Memphistiger02 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 4:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I picked up the lamina 20 off os steep and cheap for 75 bucks last week. It should be here tomorrow. Its my first mummy bag.
 Post Number: 5
bbobb169 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have a Ultralamina 15.  Only thing I'm not keen on is the half zip on both sides, rather have the full zip.  Also is a little tight around the shoulder area.
 Post Number: 6
Dennis Waite Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The Lamina -30 is a pretty solid bag. I've used it with success in sub-zero weather (YMMV). The price noted is a very good buy. Only one other synthetic bag surpasses it, in my opinion, and that is the -40 Dark Star, although the -20 Dark Star (formerly called the Tundra) has worked for me in -30 temps. Although I'm not that tall, I like the long size for extra room for boots, clothes, etc.

--------------
Dennis Waite
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
LyttleBryan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 7:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Jan. 22 2013, 2:15 pm)
and packs quite small for a synthetic.

I've heard that about the Lamina line...

It's true.  I had the 15 degree and was amazed.
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 9:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did a little research and got confused between the Lamina and Ultralamina, then went to the MH site.

The sub zero bags are only in the Lamina

There are Ultra and Super in the zero.

Can't see too much difference except they seem to have chopped the insulation in the ultra bags...

I was leaning towards the -15 vs the -30 but a friend of mine quite correctly reminded me how little the $70 difference would matter at 2 am.

--------------
 Post Number: 9
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Jan. 23 2013, 9:24 am)
I was leaning towards the -15 vs the -30 but a friend of mine quite correctly reminded me how little the $70 difference would matter at 2 am.

That is true if you need the -30 rating, but if you don't you will be carrying an extra half pound all the time.  So the real question is how cold will you actually be sleeping in?

I do not know if the Lamina line is the same as the other MH models, but I found the MH Phantom 45 to be extremely conservatively rated. I have been happy with that bag down to below freezing with just the bag and well into the teens with some relatively small amount of clothing on.
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have the Phantom 32 and quite frankly it is probably the only bag I need for three season use. I have been comfortable into the teens with it.

Hmm.....perhaps a sale of one or two of my 20 degree bags is in order.

As far as needing a -30....yeah I do. A -20 is what I sold and is the standard around here for winter camping..(It is 19 below in the northern section of the Adirondacks right now...I would imagine it was a bit colder there last night).

If I pushed the boundries a bit w/my 32 I'd be uncomfortable but I wouldn't want to press my luck in winter...again, $70 and 8 oz at 2 am?

I'd hate to have my last thought be "that darned TrailTromper"

--------------
 Post Number: 11
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 11:38 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a +45 bag with clothing in temps down to 0 quite comfortably and have for quite a few years now. It works fine.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 2:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I know...

You've shared your system with me in the past.  It really is a compelling idea.  The one thing that keeps me from jumping in is the thought that there must be a huge delta between 0 and negative 20....maybe not but even tho I know you've lived through it several times it worries me.

I have tried to do it several times at home but once ya settle in and have your 8 year old curled up in your lap it's hard to get out

Temps are forecast to be at or slightly below zero the next two nights here.....Maybe I'll just put up the tent tonight and then jump in tomorrow night....or maybe I'll just crash on the floor again w/the dogs......or maybe I'll just rent the darned thing from EMS when needed.....or maybe I'll just go back to work.

--------------
11 replies since Jan. 22 2013, 1:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Mountain Hardwear Lamina Bags
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions