2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New Backpacker, Need advice on gear and tips< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
collinpage1 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 2:21 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hey! I'm new to backpacking, and I've only taken one trip, I held my own, but I want to reach the peak of my backpacking potential. I'm going to Philmont Scout Ranch this summer, and I wasnt to be the best and most prepared one out there. I know y'all have unique tips and I'd love to hear them!
P.S. If ya got anything that'll help me have awesome outdoor skills, feel free to post them!
Thanks!
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 2:48 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1140034

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 2:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Keep your left arm straight and your head down

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 2:55 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Jan. 22 2013, 11:54 am)
Keep your left arm straight and your head down

Very unique....LOL!

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 5
SCKuhn Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 22 2013, 3:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hiking Philmont is different than most backpacking trips you will see discussed here...
I would check out Philmontforum.com for issues & questions regarding hiking at Philmont - not that it isn't backpacking..... it's just different.
I backpack often with my son or daughter and have done 2 Philmont treks.... not everything you learn here is applicable or acceptable at Philmont.... it's different...
But fun and better then sitting in my office while its 5 degrees outside!!! :O
 Post Number: 6
topshot Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 25 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My paper may help you out. If you want awesome skills beforehand, get out as much as possible. Practice makes perfect. ;)
 Post Number: 7
no_granola Search for posts by this member.
minor deity

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For most of us here being the best/most prepared is a foreign concept with regard to backpacking.  It's an adventure, not a competition.  We bring what we think we need for the worst conditions expected on any given trip.

Check the backpacking 101 thread pinned at the top of this forum :)

--------------
I never imagined that being obnoxious would get me where I am today.
 Post Number: 8
collinpage1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 12:03 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

thanks topshot, I really like the paper!
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 8:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(collinpage1 @ Jan. 29 2013, 12:03 pm)
thanks topshot, I really like the paper!

I'm glad it can be put to use. Share it with your troop.
 Post Number: 10
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 7:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just read through a bit of that paper also. I saved a copy so I can refer to it later  :) Very well written and there is certainly a lot of information in there that doesn't just pertain to scouting.

I will second no_granola in that backpacking is an "adventure" and not always something we prepare for to a T. The best preparation is going to be experience, and that isn't always easy to come. It is one thing to read what others say and think, and there are certainly a lot of lessons therein, but it isn't any substitute to hitting the trail yourself and seeing what works for you.

There was a point that topshot made in the paper that I think is worthy of reiteration here: know your gear. A long trip is not a good place to try critical pieces of gear. An over-night trek somewhere with low miles would be a good test scenario for packable gear. The point is don't put your trust and reliance on a piece of gear that you aren't familiar with. If you don't use it right, or it fails because you screwed it up, then you, too, are screwed.

I've been on the "gained experience with a failure" end on a pretty long trip before, and unfortunately it wasn't gear that failed - it was both my legs. I would say I am in pretty good shape - 5'10", 130lbs - and I have been on quite a few trips over the years. I've had my fair share of blisters and muscle pulls in that time. Yet, never have I incapacitated myself before. I can attribute it to, mostly, not being in shape for the trip I tackled. I hadn't gone backpacking in several months then did 13 miles in one day with a 3000ft descent (not all down, either). My pack weight was around 55lbs, not light by any means, but not out of the ordinary for me either. My point - know your body too. Make sure you are adequately warmed up for what you're doing. If you hit the trail cold you could, again, screw yourself.

--------------
Steve
 Post Number: 11

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 11:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KC8QVO @ Jan. 30 2013, 7:39 pm)
I would say I am in pretty good shape - 5'10", 130lbs - and I have been on quite a few trips over the years.... I hadn't gone backpacking in several months then did 13 miles in one day with a 3000ft descent (not all down, either). My pack weight was around 55lbs....

YIKES! 42% of your body weight??? I hope you were carrying either lots of water, ropes or bullets. :)
 Post Number: 12
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 7:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

It was a cold weather trip and a lot of it was insulation, a lot more weight than it should have been. I camp in a hammock most of the time anymore and had a home made underquilt. It ended up being about 5lbs. I didn't have any other option that trip so it went. The down one I have now (from hammock gear) is a good 2+lbs lighter, albeit with a significant price increase ($40 or so for my home made one vs $280 or so for the hammock gear). I had a few other layers with me too. The big trip gear still needs some work, I'll admit. I've been at that for 4 years but somehow when I lighten something up something else makes up for it. At least my tent isn't 10+lbs anymore...

For example, though, a couple weekends ago I did an over-night hike and didn't care about my weight any. It was more of a "grab all the gizmos and gadgets and have fun in the woods" weekend. I was around 60lbs all up and it was one of the best trips I've had in years, 14 miles split 7.5/6.5 and I felt great. I could have gone a week at the pace I was going. I'd say I need to do more trips like that as training for the big ones. Of course, it is hard to train for elevation when you don't have much to speak of, but with a fair amount of up/down you can get an approximation.

--------------
Steve
11 replies since Jan. 22 2013, 2:21 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New Backpacker
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions