2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Coffee techniques/gear?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
KC8QVO Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 6:26 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

This past trip my uncle brought a Jetboil system with a french press attachment - I have to say it was pretty slick. I've never done coffee on the trail before, so that was a nice treat.

That got me thinking... Essentially all the french press does is hold down the grounds.

Has anyone done this in reverse by putting coffee grounds in a regular filter, cooking it up, then pull the filter with the grounds out? Does it work?

I'm going to give it a try to see what happens, but I'd be curious what others have done for making coffee on the trail in a big cup or a pot.

--------------
Steve
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
theosus Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 6:33 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I just use those keurig cups without the little internal filters. Some have filters inside, some dont.
Just peel the top off and dump the powder in the cup. Done.

--------------
The flamethrower is proof positive that sometime, somewhere, someone once said, "You, know, I'd really like to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."
My Blog
 Post Number: 3
paulbrown Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 7:26 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think some people do that by rolling or folding the filter then stapling it closed.

I use a plastic melitta drip cone with paper filters.  A longer trip could make a permanent gold filter worth the weight/ cost.

We use the same thing at home most days.

--------------
- The dude abides
 Post Number: 4
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 7:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

REI infuser mug.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 5
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 7:49 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We make a concentrate at home and leave the filters, grounds and hassle at home.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 6
BradMT Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 8:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've tried every conceivable coffee product/system/whatever... the Jetboil french press is about all you need to know about backcountry coffee, and is reason enough to own one.

--------------
Contentment is natural wealth, luxury is artificial poverty. – Socrates
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 8:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jan. 23 2013, 8:06 pm)
I've tried every conceivable coffee product/system/whatever... the Jetboil french press is about all you need to know about backcountry coffee, and is reason enough to own one.

Own it, tried it, happier with using an Aero Press to make a concentrate.
No muss, no fuss.  Iced coffee or hot coffee, whichever we want at the time.
And way cheaper than buying the alternatives.  Plus, it is a smooth cup of coffee, no bitterness at all.  (Hubby is VERY particular)

--------------
 Post Number: 8
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 8:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Jan. 23 2013, 8:14 pm)

(BradMT @ Jan. 23 2013, 8:06 pm)

And way cheaper than buying the alternatives.  Plus, it is a smooth cup of coffee, no bitterness at all.  (Hubby is VERY particular)

Plus one for the Aero press. Plus now I too make the concentrate and just bring it to mix with hot water ever since Toes pointed that out when we last had this conversation

On canoe trips I still bring the press though

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(eggs @ Jan. 23 2013, 8:19 pm)
On canoe trips I still bring the press though

We do, too, on long canoe/kayak trips.  And it is pretty light and not fragile.

--------------
 Post Number: 10
HuntersHikes Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 8:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Sorry to be that guy, but the Starbucks Via packs are flippin' awesome!

--------------
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball, and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without considering if there are men on base.

Latitude:N 42° 7' 34.7232"
Longitude:W 71° 42' 28.6164"

www.huntershikes.com
 Post Number: 11
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 8:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(HuntersHikes @ Jan. 23 2013, 8:37 pm)
Sorry to be that guy, but the Starbucks Via packs are flippin' awesome!

+1

i generally scoff at instant coffee, but starbucks has it downpat with the Via packs. the ease and no-mess of instant is a plus.

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 12
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 8:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

oh, and i used to use the folgers singles teabag coffee... not bad if you use two bags, but not great

--------------
      /\    /\/\        / \       / \
 /\/   \ /      \  /\ /    \-^/    \^.   /\
/   \    \        \/  \       \ /       \ \ /  \ /\
     \     \       \    \       /          \/     /   \
                           \    /             \
 Post Number: 13
seasick Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 11:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I love the Aeropress.  Smooth cup of joe.  What concentration do you use when packing?  How do you like to carry it?  Thanks
 Post Number: 14
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 23 2013, 11:56 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(ashepabst @ Jan. 23 2013, 5:46 pm)
oh, and i used to use the folgers singles teabag coffee... not bad if you use two bags, but not great

+1

I use four in a pot

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 15
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 8:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Does anyone have the "recipe" for making coffee concentrate?  (w/out the aeropress)

It was posted on the cooking section of this forum a while back but I can't find it.

It was basically simmering a bunch of coffee until you got a concentrate.  It had a decent refrigerated shelf life.  Take a few ounces and  you'd add hot water.

To the OP, I;ve used French Press, Percolators and an old aluminum drip pot.  the French press and drip were identical in flavor but the drip was easier to clean

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 8:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Via and Folgers... yuk.

Aeropress? Yeah it's great... and HEAVY.

My whole stove with French Press weighs the same as the Aeropress sans stove.

--------------
 Post Number: 17
TrailScouter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 9:01 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you want something that is really easy with no cleanup, definitely go with the Starbucks instant coffee.  My personal favorite is the Italian Roast Extra Bold.  The newer style instant coffees, like the Starbucks brand, can be a little pricey, but the newer instant coffees are no way like the old style Maxwell House that came in a jar.  They have a much better taste.

If I don't bring Starbucks, which I don't do all of the time, I just make cowboy coffee.  There are no filters involved - boil water with grounds for a few minutes, allow the grounds to settle to the bottom of the pot and then pour off the top.  It's as easy as that and cowboy coffee has a fullbody taste.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 9:24 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dislike Via so much I just bring tea bags if I don't  feel like making coffee... I really can't imagine a real coffeenista drinking that stuff. :D

--------------
 Post Number: 19
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 9:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't like the convetional press. Aeropress is good but too heavy, imo.  My preference is drip/filter, it's what I do at home.  I've played around with a couple of different methods for the trail. Depends somewhat on whether I have access to water for washing.

I used to use the MSR MugMate and it works well but a little bulky considering it's just for that morning cup of coffee.  So, I made a silnylon "cone" that I use #1 or #2 paper filters with. Weighs 4g:

I also recently found this at a local tea shop.  A little heavy (43g) but is handy and collapses down nicely.  Doesn't need a filter if the coffee is ground a little coarser.  I'm trying to figure out a way to rig it into a shower-head...

My biggest issue with coffee is cream. I haven't found any dry creamer, dry milk, etc. that I like  :(

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 20
seasick Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 9:53 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(BradMT @ Jan. 24 2013, 8:30 am)
Aeropress? Yeah it's great... and HEAVY.

My whole stove with French Press weighs the same as the Aeropress sans stove.

toesnorth and eggs mentioned using a concentrate made with the Aeropress, so the press gets left at home.  I don't want to count grams on the concentrate vs other options but it is another tradeoff that can be made and sounds... Via-ble.
 Post Number: 21
OldGuyWalkin Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Maxwell House makes Filter packs. You make cowboy coffee, but you don't have grounds.

I put 2 filter packs in my big pot and that is 8-10 cups.

Think of them as giant tea bags.
 Post Number: 22
oldnolder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:00 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Almost as many opinions as ppl. null
 Post Number: 23
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:13 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(paulbrown @ Jan. 23 2013, 5:26 pm)
I think some people do that by rolling or folding the filter then stapling it closed.

I use a plastic melitta drip cone with paper filters.  A longer trip could make a permanent gold filter worth the weight/ cost.

We use the same thing at home most days.

Yep. Melitta cone and filters. At home and while backpacking.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 24
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I used to use this product called Java pods, it was concentrate packaged in a single serving pod, but I'm unable to find them anymore so I suspect they went under.  Sucks though as they were the best solution I had found on a taste/convenience scale.

Generally these days I do the starbucks vias as they are "cheap enough and good enough" and are REALLY easy to use when with my uncaffeinated brain refuses to work in the morning.

The coffee tea bags I've tried and they made sucky coffee.  Tried cowboy coffee but always had issues with the grounds.  Lastly, a press takes up more room than I want to commit to just coffee.

The other guys I travel with usually either bum off me, use the vias themselves, or one guy does grounds and a single cup filter.  He swears by it but then he also carries a special mug for it, the grounds, the filter, sweetener, etc.  I carry my via, and drink out of my cook pot, or the same small plastic mug that I use for measuring water, and drinking whiskey  :D
 Post Number: 25

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(seasick @ Jan. 23 2013, 11:32 pm)

I love the Aeropress.  Smooth cup of joe.  What concentration do you use when packing?  How do you like to carry it?  Thanks

We use the same concentration that we make for use at home and carry it in an 8 oz. nalgene bottle.  That is good for about 8 cups of coffee but, of course, you can add as little or as much as you like.
It weighs about 6.5 oz. filled.

--------------
 Post Number: 26

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:49 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What I find particularly nice about this method is that we can stop by a icy cold mountain stream and make iced coffee on a hot summer day without 'brewing' anything.
But, hey, we really like coffee.   :)

--------------
 Post Number: 27
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 10:50 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My biggest issue with coffee is cream. I haven't found any dry creamer, dry milk, etc. that I like  :(

Same here.

I swipe several mini moo's, (no need to keep cool), from the local c store..certainly not lightweight but I prefer my coffee w/half & half.

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 28
booyah Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 12:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Jan. 24 2013, 10:50 am)

Same here.

I swipe several mini moo's, (no need to keep cool), from the local c store..certainly not lightweight but I prefer my coffee w/half & half.

At home I drink my coffee with half and half and sugar.

On the trail I drink my coffe black.

At home I eat my pancakes with butter and syrup.

On the trail I eat pancakes piping hot out of the pan plain.

At home I eat fresh veggies and meat with every meal.

On the trail...  I think you can see how this goes.

The point of all of this?  Somehow on the trail, it all tastes so much better than it does at home, even without all the luxeries.  Not sure how that works out  :)
 Post Number: 29
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 12:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Melita single cup filter and coffee fresh ground right before I go.
 Post Number: 30
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 24 2013, 1:01 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

+1 to the Starbucks Via instant coffee.  It's light and easy to make on the trail.  I also own a GSI camping coffee maker which isn't too bad.  Seriously though... I can't tell a different between fresh brewed and instant.

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
48 replies since Jan. 23 2013, 6:26 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Coffee techniques/gear?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions