2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: I'm buying a new backpack, Need some advise< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TomC103 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 3:04 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I need a backpack but not sure what size to get. I measured all my kit and it came to 36 litres. Shall I buy a 35 litre bag or get a bigger one.
I'm thinking to get thisKarrimor trail 35 or this Hi gear peak 35
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
TexasDesertRat Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 3:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I did a review on a 39.1L bag on my blog... I love it and think it's an excellent pack for 2 or 3 day trips...

http://humanspiritofadventure.blogspot.com/2012....me.html

Great bag... easy on the wallet

--------------
Human Spirit of Adventure
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
TomC103 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 4:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I went for The gelert summit 45
 Post Number: 4
KJsherpa Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 6:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently purchased a great book, "The Complete Walker IV". In one section it breaks down selecting the right size pack using a mathematical formula. It might help you with your decision of pack size:

Calculates V, Volume of your pack in Cubic Inches

V = b n R s g p     (simply multiply all the values together)

"b" is your body weight in pounds + 30

"n" is the square root of the number of days you'll be hiking (for example: square root of 1 is 1, s.r. of 2 is 1.4, 3 is 1.7, 4 is 2, 5 is 2.2, 7 is 2.65, 8 is 2.83, 9 is 3, and 10 is 3.16)

"R" is Resilience -
0.75: sleeps naked on bedrock, hikes barefoot, eats small animals raw
1.00: sound sleeper, feet always warm, laughs in the teeth of the wind
1.50: pleasantly normal
2.00: cold sleeper, comfort hound, serious photographer or gourmet chef
2.50: feet of ice/special diet/ multiple phobias/needs background music

"s" is the season you plan on using the pack
4: summer
5: spring or fall
8: winter

"g" is the gear type
0.9: ultralight
1.0: light
1.2: average
2.0: cast-iron and canvas

"p" is the party size (with packs)
1.5: solo
1.0: two
0.7: three
0.6: four (or more)

For example:
V = 245 x 2 x 1.00 x 5 x 1.00 x 1.5 =   3675 cu in (60 liters)

All of this information is taken from the book "The Complete Walker IV" by Fletcher and Rawlins.

I find that this formula gives you a great starting point, but as with anything in the backpacking world, there is a lot of personal preference that no one can calculate but you. Hope this helps.
 Post Number: 5
ataylor Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 7:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Go to a shop where you can load one with weight and try it on.  What is right for me might not be right for you.  That said, I went with the REI Crestrail 48.  Right size for me and is a well made pack.
 Post Number: 6
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 9:56 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(KJsherpa @ Jan. 31 2013, 6:29 pm)
I recently purchased a great book, "The Complete Walker IV". In one section it breaks down selecting the right size pack using a mathematical formula. It might help you with your decision of pack size:

Calculates V, Volume of your pack in Cubic Inches

OK, I admit to have been very skeptical (and still not sure I'd use it as an actual guide) but it actually worked for me...  2,750.76 = 45 liters.

For 'Resilience', I chose "1.5: pleasantly normal"  :laugh:

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
 Post Number: 7
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 10:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It came out way high for me for a longish trip.  It was high but at least a bit closer as long as trip length was the number of days between restocking points and not actual trip length.  If trip length was 4 or less days long it was pretty close.
 Post Number: 8
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTromper @ Feb. 01 2013, 8:36 am)
It came out way high for me for a longish trip.

Yeah, that wouldn't work for me either.  I take some pretty long trips and the pack size, while it increases the longer I go (due simply to food and possibly fuel), it isn't such a predictable pattern as sqrt(n).  Still though, I guess it's a decent *rough* guide for someone just starting out.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 9
stuthetraveler Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 12:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

As stated above... the best pack is the one that feels right on you.  It's a good idea to go to an outdoor store and talk with a sales rep about what you should look for in a pack.  

I came here and asked that same question a couple years back and got several people who recommend the ULA packs - ULA website

They're a mom & pop company that has GREAT customer service.  I ended up buying a pack from them and now I'll never wear anything else.

--------------
Stu
www.stuthetraveler.com
 Post Number: 10
TigerFan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 12:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TrailTromper @ Feb. 01 2013, 10:36 am)
It came out way high for me for a longish trip.  It was high but at least a bit closer as long as trip length was the number of days between restocking points and not actual trip length.  If trip length was 4 or less days long it was pretty close.

Reasonable to assume that if you specify 14 days, it's calculating how much total volume you need for the whole trip.  If you restock at 7, then your trip length, as far as the equation is concerned, is 7.

--------------
Duct tape is like the Force.  It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together.
9 replies since Jan. 26 2013, 3:04 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply I'm buying a new backpack
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions