2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Recommended to get a down hood?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
Mechrock Search for posts by this member.
Mechrock

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 26 2013, 11:58 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I recently ordered the 10F EE REVX Quilt.

Currently I use a NinjaClava from OR and a Omni heat Beanie.

How necessary do you think it is that I have a proper down hood with the quilt to reach the teens?

--------------
My Gear list: (I'm Rocco)
https://docs.google.com/spreads....ZGJTakE
Notice I have multiple tabs at the bottom.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 12:04 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I wear a down jacket (with a down hood) with my hoodless sleeping bag. I have an OR balaclava but definitely prefer the warmth of my down hood.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 3
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 6:36 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

It depends on the temp you expect. I take a down hood on all my winter trips with a quilt and wear it once it goes below 20 F. It makes it somewhat like having a sleeping bags hood drawn around you. I have one of these:

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

I have been using one from Jacks R Better too this winter. They are more affordable but don't fit as well.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 4
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 9:17 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

IMO, it really doesn't make much sense to have a down parka without a hood especially if your dealing with significantly cold temperatures.  Hoods make a world of difference.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 5
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 9:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The OP's talking about a quilt he ordered Jerry.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 6
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 10:05 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks for the replies, I was thinking one like from zpacks would work good?

I'm asking because I'm planning on going with the outdoors club at my school to the Roan Mtns on Feb 8th. With the weather we've been having though, I might not even need a hood... (Been going from 10s up to 60 and back again...)

--------------
 Post Number: 7
STICK Search for posts by this member.
~Stick~

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 1:24 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I were going to get a down hood (which I likely will one day) I will end up with the ZPacks one that the OP linked to in his last post. I will admit, I am partial to ZPacks, as well as GooseFeet Gear (which is who makes these hoods for ZPacks) but I have read some good reviews of it, and after talking with Ben about it, I think that it would work.  (Although, to be fair, I have never even put my hands on one. Also, other than owning a lot of gear from both companies, I have no affiliation with either of them.)

However, in a FB thread a while back, Tim from Enlightened Equipment asked about new items that others would like to see. A number of people said hoods. So, maybe Tim would try putting out some hood's made from Climashield Apex sometime, (nothing official though...) and I will admit, this would also interests me... In such small amounts, it is my opinion that (high quality) synthetics are very comparable to down. It is generally less expensive, and considering that it is such small amounts of either, there is hardly much, if any weight difference.

--------------
Jus' sayin'...

Sticks Blog
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 9:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Jan. 27 2013, 9:58 am)
The OP's talking about a quilt he ordered Jerry.

Opps. Gotta reat those post closer.  Sorry about that.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 9
SW Mtn backpacker Search for posts by this member.
Born to hike, forced to work ...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 10:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Fleece may suffice during warmer nights but I couldn't see going into the teens without a down hoody.  

Thinking a bivy system may be in order to prevent drafts from sneaking through though.

--------------
Usually Southwest and then some.

In wildness is the preservation of the world. - Henry Thoreau
 Post Number: 10
GottaGamble Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 6:29 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

2 nights ago, I wanted to test how low I could take my 20 degree quilt, so I put my air pad down in the snow with a closed cell 3/4 length pad on top of it and slept in my yard. I wore, on my head, a basic OR balaclava and a MH fleece hat. During the night the temps dipped to 15 degrees and when I woke up at 7 am, it was 18 degrees.  There was a slight breeze during the night..I was fine. My head was perfect all night.  I figured I can easily take this quilt to 5-10 degrees. Keep in mind I also did not use a tent or tarp for this test. I think if I was going to anything below 5 degrees I would probably use a down hoody.  It depends on you and your situation as far as useing a down hood.  I don't think u could go wrong having one though, I may still buy one in the future for temps below 5.

--------------
Dirtbag_hiker @ instagram

"Of all the paths you choose in life, make sure some of them are dirt"
                                      author unknown
 Post Number: 11
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 11:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thought I would add that I did decided to order that hood and a few other things from Zpacks.

Going to try and make the same water bottle holder system you use Stick.
I'll update you on the warmth of the hood once I get back from the trip. I'm hoping it gets cold, we've had way above normal temperatures recently. It's getting up to 65F today. I think the avg is ~40F.

--------------
 Post Number: 12
mankind117 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 29 2013, 7:35 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I have down hood from zpacks. I started using quits this last year. I was cold in my 20 degree down quilt when it got below 30 without the hood but using this hood a couple of nights this december made a big difference when it got below freezing. I plan on taking it from now on any time I expect the temps to get around freezing or maybe evening when it won't get that cold because it is such a negligible weight penalty
 Post Number: 13
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 7:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(mankind117 @ Jan. 29 2013, 7:35 pm)
I have down hood from zpacks. I started using quits this last year. I was cold in my 20 degree down quilt when it got below 30 without the hood but using this hood a couple of nights this december made a big difference when it got below freezing. I plan on taking it from now on any time I expect the temps to get around freezing or maybe evening when it won't get that cold because it is such a negligible weight penalty

That's good to know!

--------------
 Post Number: 14
Mechrock

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 5:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

1st Zpacks Order

Zpacks Unboxing

I got the hood in the mail. I'm starting another youtube channel to do videos on my camping gear. My other one, "Mechrocktech" is for tech videos.

--------------
13 replies since Jan. 26 2013, 11:58 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Recommended to get a down hood?
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions