2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Water filtration and purification, Need a cheap and easy method< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TomC103 Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 2:50 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm looking for a cheap and easy method of getting clean water.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 3:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cheap and easy?  Probably iodine: http://www.rei.com/product/407071/potable-aqua-iodine-tablets .  Chlorine dioxide doesn't affect the flavor of the water as much, but requires a longer wait.
 Post Number: 3
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Iodine does not work on crypto and is not really safe anyway. Chlorine Dioxide actually makes most water taste better, but does have the wait.

Gravity filters are easy and fast.

I sent you a PM.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 4
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 3:02 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What kind of sources do you plan to take water from?  There are lots of options.  When you go cheaper and easier, the application becomes less universal (or at least produces less appealing results under some circumstances).
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 3:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm going to buy a hydration bladder and need a way of getting clean drinking water. I live in the uk and there are a lot of farms and human settlements around. I was thinking about filtering it into my hydration bladder then adding chlorine tablets. What's the best way of doing this or is there a better method?
Thanks
 Post Number: 6

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 3:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TomC103 @ Jan. 27 2013, 3:10 pm)
I'm going to buy a hydration bladder and need a way of getting clean drinking water. I live in the uk and there are a lot of farms and human settlements around. I was thinking about filtering it into my hydration bladder then adding chlorine tablets. What's the best way of doing this or is there a better method?
Thanks

Or filling up my hydration bladder with dirty water and adding chlorine tablets then having an inline filter
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 3:22 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Why not just use a filter alone? Do you live in an area that viruses are a concern? (We don't have that problem in the US.) Sawyer makes a POINT Zero Two filter that does it all and would eliminate the tablets and wait for you.

http://www.sawyer.com/sawyersaves/products-pointtwo.html

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 3:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Jan. 27 2013, 3:22 pm)
Why not just use a filter alone? Do you live in an area that viruses are a concern? (We don't have that problem in the US.) Sawyer makes a POINT Zero Two filter that does it all and would eliminate the tablets and wait for you.

http://www.sawyer.com/sawyersaves/products-pointtwo.html

I'm not sure if there are viruses in the water but I'm pretty sure ther would be because there are lots of villages and towns around.
 Post Number: 9

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 3:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What about if I filled my bladder with dirty water and added chlorine tablets then had an inline carbon filter? Chlorine tablets
Carbon filter
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 4:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What about an aquamira screwed to a platypus to make a gravity filter?
 Post Number: 11
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 4:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TomC103 @ Jan. 27 2013, 4:06 pm)
What about an aquamira screwed to a platypus to make a gravity filter?

Or you could just use the Platypus gravity filter.
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 27 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TomC103 @ Jan. 27 2013, 12:52 pm)
What about if I filled my bladder with dirty water and added chlorine tablets then had an inline carbon filter? Chlorine tablets
Carbon filter

Carbon just absorbs chemicals, probably not your issue.

For infrequent need Chlorine Dioxide is cost effective, for a lot of use filters are cheaper per gallon. Check with local walking clubs for local recommendations to suit the water you'll encounter.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 3:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ok thanks
 Post Number: 14
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 9:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What's missing is that there is probably a load of chemicals in the water, and none of the methods mentioned will do anything about them. The farmers themselves are probably drawing from wells, rather than creeks and ditches.

I'd be stopping in town and getting water at hostels and buying bottled.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 11:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Jan. 28 2013, 9:32 am)
What's missing is that there is probably a load of chemicals in the water, and none of the methods mentioned will do anything about them. The farmers themselves are probably drawing from wells, rather than creeks and ditches.

Ok thanks are there any filters that can get rid of chemicals?
 Post Number: 16
peeb Search for posts by this member.
Let's see who's been naughty, and who's been naughty!

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 1:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TomC103 @ Jan. 28 2013, 11:12 am)

(AlmostThere @ Jan. 28 2013, 9:32 am)

Ok thanks are there any filters that can get rid of chemicals?

Unfortunaely, not really.

Here are a couple of good resources that might shed some additional light on your questions:

article 1
article 2
article 3
article 4

Most will recommend not filtering from sources high in agricultural runoff as there is no good way to treat it.  (I always carry my own water in such places.)  You may be able to get sufficient water from towns and villages with careful planning.  I like the idea of contacting some local hiking clubs in your area to see how folks are handling it locally.

Good luck!

--------------
It's all so simple when you break it down scientifically - Nick Bakay
 Post Number: 17
Ginseng Search for posts by this member.

Group: Guests
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 1:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I dont think that can be done,"cheap n easy' with any kind of quality. Just curious, cheap i understand $, but why easy?

--------------
Walking since 1962
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 1:42 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TomC103 @ Jan. 28 2013, 10:12 am)
are there any filters that can get rid of chemicals?

Yeah, I keep one of these at the house as I live in an area that floods frequently and we have a LOT of agriculture and its associated run-off.

http://generalecology.com/categor....ier-new

Back in the early 90's I hiked with one of them but don't any longer as they are pretty heavy and I don't need the capability of it in the field.

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 1:50 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Ginseng @ Jan. 28 2013, 1:38 pm)
I dont think that can be done,"cheap n easy' with any kind of quality. Just curious, cheap i understand $, but why easy?

Ok I didn't really mean easy just not to expensive
 Post Number: 20
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 2:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

There's also a difference between the level of exposure a resident has to consider with their daily water supply and a walker just passing through. For any chemical, whether it be fertilizer or anything else, the dosage is important: a few liters can easily have zero effect while a decade or so of daily consumption would be a risk: hence residents relying on wells.

OTOH microbial threats are far more immediate, a few Giardia cysts and you run a very high risk of getting the disease: hence biologically relevant filters are where the backpacking/hiking emphasis is placed. Were you to be faced with heavily toxic industrial runoff I'd suggest find another location to hike: or carry bottled water....

Again local clubs will be more knowledgable about local water.

For long distance ocean sailing and sea kayaking there are filters that would clear everything from the water: Reverse Osmosis Filtration units, heavy, expensive and not terribly high in flow rate.
 Post Number: 21

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 28 2013, 2:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(High_Sierra_Fan @ Jan. 28 2013, 2:29 pm)
There's also a difference between the level of exposure a resident has to consider with their daily water supply and a walker just passing through. For any chemical, whether it be fertilizer or anything else, the dosage is important: a few liters can easily have zero effect while a decade or so of daily consumption would be a risk: hence residents relying on wells.

OTOH microbial threats are far more immediate, a few Giardia cysts and you run a very high risk of getting the disease: hence biologically relevant filters are where the backpacking/hiking emphasis is placed. Were you to be faced with heavily toxic industrial runoff I'd suggest find another location to hike: or carry bottled water....

Again local clubs will be more knowledgable about local water.

For long distance ocean sailing and sea kayaking there are filters that would clear everything from the water: Reverse Osmosis Filtration units, heavy, expensive and not terribly high in flow rate.

Ok thanks
 Post Number: 22
Idahobackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 10:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Get the Sawyer Squeeze for $50 and be done with it. I have found this to be the easiest and most durable system I have used.
 Post Number: 23
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For more than one or two people I like the gravity filters.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 24
Uberman Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 1:31 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

I like cheap, but a case of Giardia cost my friend lots of doctor time, lethargy and classes to prevent him passing the disease to others. That being said, I'll mention the following:

I'm weight concious, but very health concious. Health is priceless and I've friends who've fought giardia for over 6 months. About 15 years ago I bought a Katydyn Pocket filter for $260.00. IMHO, I'm not trusting of the cheaper units. It did take almost ten years of traveling and camping to make the investment primarily for hiking and whitewater kayaking.
23 replies since Jan. 27 2013, 2:50 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Water filtration and purification
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions