2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Adding grip to a sleeping pad, What's your technique?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 3:33 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Just wondering what techniques there are out there.
My sleeping pad (BA Insulated Air Core) slides all over the place.
Any recommendations?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Cut some 100% silicone adhesive with white gas or mineral sprits. (About 50/50) Take a disposable foam brush and "paint" spots of the mix on the high points (in the case of one with tubes) of the bottom of your pad. Let dry overnight.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 3
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 4:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Jan. 30 2013, 3:58 pm)
Cut some 100% silicone adhesive with white gas or mineral sprits. (About 50/50) Take a disposable foam brush and "paint" spots of the mix on the high points (in the case of one with tubes) of the bottom of your pad. Let dry overnight.

What's the advantage to cutting the silicone with white gas or mineral spirits (not doubting, just curious)?

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice. ???
 Post Number: 4
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 4:32 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Seam grip spots about a foot apart.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you have a slippery tent floor , like silnylon, add some strips/dots to that too.
Anti slip
I did another couple of Neo Air mats recently , it worked well.
 Post Number: 6
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 5:25 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I've heard that seam grip works pretty well. I think I'm going to give that a try.
Does diameter matter much?
I'm thinking many smaller spots > few large ones?
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 6:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Jan. 30 2013, 2:25 pm)
I've heard that seam grip works pretty well. I think I'm going to give that a try.
Does diameter matter much?
I'm thinking many smaller spots > few large ones?

Smaller spots works better for me actually. The big ones wore off faster for me (I suspect due to fold/roll).

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 8
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 7:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(EastieTrekker @ Jan. 30 2013, 3:14 pm)
What's the advantage to cutting the silicone with white gas or mineral spirits (not doubting, just curious)?

Using full strength results in heavy blobs that peel off down the trail. the thinned mixture works better. It is the same stuff you mix up to seal a tarptent.

Like Franco mentioned I put the dots on my tent floor with all my TT's.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 9
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 30 2013, 10:52 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Jan. 30 2013, 7:06 pm)

(EastieTrekker @ Jan. 30 2013, 3:14 pm)

Using full strength results in heavy blobs that peel off down the trail. the thinned mixture works better. It is the same stuff you mix up to seal a tarptent.

Like Franco mentioned I put the dots on my tent floor with all my TT's.

I agree, although I paint areas of my tent floor the same way, instead of using dots.  Also, it's easier to apply the amount you want of the silicone to the place you want it when it's been thinned.
 Post Number: 10
EastieTrekker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Jan. 31 2013, 11:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Thanks!

--------------
I request all the possible consumer protection organizations, and fight with their injustice. ???
 Post Number: 11
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 1:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The BAIC is infamous for this. If my tent was on the slightest slope I would wake up crammed down into one corner of the tent. Problem completely solved with an Exped Synmat.
 Post Number: 12
SPeacock Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 11:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Best to use odorless thinner.

Use a small clean can (tuna fish).  Fill it 1/4 full with GE Silicone II.  Fill it to half full with thinner.

Stir slowly enough not to slosh it around.  Have patience it will 'dissolve' but will take awhile.  You have about an hour to play with it until it sets up.  Use large empty boxes in tent if you need to keep the walls from sticking to the floor.

Seam sealer might be cheaper (it doesn't take much out of the tube of Silicone-II) and less messy.

Just paint it on thin in spots for weight and durability.

--------------
Experience as well as wisdom, at times, is foolishly acquired.
To understand why details matter, you first need to notice them.
 Post Number: 13
TheStu Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 02 2013, 3:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

Another vote for silicone cut with mineral spirits. When I sealed my Tarptent I did the tent floor at the same time, and I've never had any problems with sliding. Applying to a sleeping pad would likely do the same thing.

--------------
Backpacking Talk - One backpacker encounters another backpacker in the woods. He says, "So there's this site called Backpacking Talk." The other backpacker replies, "...
12 replies since Jan. 30 2013, 3:33 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Adding grip to a sleeping pad
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions