2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: New Eureka tents< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 2:13 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eureka has some new tents for 2013 that might be of interest to beginners.

http://n1a.goexposoftware.com/events....nal.pdf

More specs here: http://www.rockymountaintrail.com/outdoor/Eureka/NEW!/Tents/

Any other interesting new tents you've come across?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 4:00 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

My mates at Luxe Outdoor have revamped their line up for the first time in two years.
They now have several light weight silnylon tents too :
LUXE TENTS
 Post Number: 3
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 4:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't know anything about Luxe products (Austrailan brand?) but I've always thought Eureka made a pretty good product for the money.  I know it's not the highest quality or most techinical gear out there, but for most casual backpackers in most conditions, it's probably a pretty good product.  I wish them well as some of my earliest and fondest memories of backpacking were in Eureka tents.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 4
Ben2World Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 4:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eureka makes pretty solid tents -- good for scout use and all.  If weight is important to you, I'd recommend adding about half a pound to their weight specs to get them closer to reality.

--------------
The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page.  -- St. Augustine
 Post Number: 5

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 01 2013, 6:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Luxe is based in HongKong.
They do have a presence in Australia,NZ and now the UK.
Apart from their own, they produce tents for other brands but as far as I know don't have direct sales in the USA.
The link was mostly about "other interesting new tents"
 Post Number: 6
RobinHood Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 10:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Eureka tents are great!  The first tent i ever bought was an Eureka, think i got it from a sams club in 96 or 97, i was about 16 or 17 then.  Its what I used in the smokey mountains for the next 5 or so years.  I still have that tent, although I havent used it a long, long time.

Nowadays, I have so many tents, I dont even know what i have anymore.  Ive got one from every brand basically, for every season.  And outside of maybe 2 or 3 high end snow tents, most everything else is the same.  All the name brand tents will work just the same as the more affordable Eureka backpacking tents.

--------------
The vast majority of every species that has ever lived on Earth is now extinct. To think that humans can avoid the fate of every other creature is arrogant. Like all life on Earth, our time is limited.
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 3:32 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ive got one from every brand basically

Impressive...
OK, let's try a few at random...

Ferrino, Narrona, Black Wolf, Wilderness Equipment, Macpac, Northstar, Saunders,Berghaus, Bergan, Nordisk, Salewa, Sivera, Fjallraven, One Planet,Wild Country, Terra Nova ,Tentipi, Exped, Lightwave, Red Fox, Vango, Robens, Gelert,Crux,Nanok...

any of those familiar to you ?
 Post Number: 8
eggs Search for posts by this member.
That's sofa King assume

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 8:12 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Feb. 06 2013, 3:32 am)

Impressive...

Ferrino, Narrona, Black Wolf, Wilderness Equipment, Macpac, Northstar, Saunders,Berghaus, Bergan, Nordisk, Salewa, Sivera, Fjallraven, One Planet,Wild Country, Terra Nova ,Tentipi, Exped, Lightwave, Red Fox, Vango, Robens, Gelert,Crux,Nanok...

Can I play

I have a Terra Nova. The Laser Photon 1. Great loaner tent for folks that I've taken backpacking that did not have a tent

--------------
Eggs
Home of the egg
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 9
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 8:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hard to beat the Eureka Spitfire for a starter tent. I'm glad they haven't given up on it.
 Post Number: 10
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 9:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toejam @ Feb. 06 2013, 8:45 am)
Hard to beat the Eureka Spitfire for a starter tent. I'm glad they haven't given up on it.

I agree that it is a good starter tent, but think it is more than that.  When I go really light I don't use a tent, but I don't expect to "outgrow" the Spitfire.  I consider it to be a great tent and competitive with the rest of the market regardless of price and I expect to continue to use it for the foreseeable future on those trips where I use a tent.

I concede that tarp tents and their ilk are in a different class, but personally when I am going that light I am more inclined toward a tarp based modular system that might include a bivy, or bug bivy as required or just the tarp and a DWR bag with a minimal ground sheet where I can get by with that.
 Post Number: 11
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 11:48 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I'm glad to hear they are a great starter tent. When I first started out hiking, I owned two different Eureka tents and they both sucked. The seams were single stitched, weren't seam-taped, zippers failed...yeah, they sucked. Good memories though.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 12
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Franco @ Feb. 06 2013, 12:32 am)

Impressive...

You left off Denver.
 Post Number: 13

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 3:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Very funny...
I purposely listed only some of the hiking tent brands (no base*/car camping )and deliberately did not include American brands either.
However again that is only a small list, pretty much the ones that popped into my head because I like or know some of their stuff.
The point is that there is a lot more available (in countries not called USA)  than some think.
(Tentipi is an exception, I was looking something up about them so I just snuck them in)
 Post Number: 14

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 4:12 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Oh sure I got that- I was just recently amazed once again when that company was on one of those "How it's made" programs at how there is still an apparently robust demand for that sort of wall tent, with a wood burning stove capability as well! Like that British company that makes Scott Arctic tents (and sleds). Logical in it's way, there are specialized uses for such shelters after all, but surprising nonetheless.
 Post Number: 15
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 4:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

http://www.kangarootentcity.com.au

Sorry, couldn't help it.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 4:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

"Like that British company that makes Scott Arctic tents"

Open Planet makes "Scott" tents right here in Melbourne.
I have mentioned them before because occasionally folk will comment about how pyramid tents are so good they are still in use in Antarctica.
What they miss is that those Scott tents have a 1" pole on every side (not in the center) so a lot bigger and heavier than the typical backpacking type pyramid...
BTW, there is at least one US manufacturer that also makes "Scott" tents
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 5:34 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

D'uh: Antarctic, of course...

This was the people I was thinking of:
http://www.snowsled.com/scott-pyramid-tents/
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 6:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Note the weight : 73 lbs for the 3 person version
However no matter how I spell that out some are still happy to think that those 3 lbs pyramids can do the same job...
 Post Number: 19
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 6:40 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Feb. 06 2013, 4:19 pm)
http://www.kangarootentcity.com.au

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Careful, my Avast blocked that site.
18 replies since Feb. 01 2013, 2:13 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply New Eureka tents
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions