2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Dog Bed, What do you use?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
jhturbo Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 3:34 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am looking for a dog bed for camping in cold weather. What do you guys use? I was thinking about just getting a foam mat and a blanket. But i am open to any product that is out there. I just don't know what is good. I just want to make sure it is at least semi water resistant and will keep him warm on the ground.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 3:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

How big is your dog? What size pad do you need? I may have a half of a small Z-Lite that may work for you.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 3

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 3:58 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

85 lbs, black lab mix, 30 inches long.  i was considering getting this one.

Dog Bed AMAZON
 Post Number: 4
Trinity Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 4:15 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

For car camping, or backpacking?  I backpack with my chessie, he's about the size of your dog.  He carries his own Ruffwear Highlands Bed: http://www.campmor.com/ruffwea....yword}n .  It's not cheap, but you can occasionally find it on sale, and it's by far the lightest and most compressible dog bed around.  Fits nicely in a Floyd's backpack.  It is on the small side for a large dog, but curled up, it keeps Floyd off the ground, and gives him some insulation.  For backpacking, I can highly recommend it.  I have also heard of people using the Z-lite, so Ray's suggestion will certainly work.
 Post Number: 5
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 4:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ray's chunk of Z Lite sounds like a good answer.

My pooch has done fine on a small-ish piece of a yoga mat in temps down to  a ways below freezing.  That was in a solo tent with me though.  I keep threatening to get her something a little thicker.  I would try to keep it down to a few ounces even if she is carrying it.

The 2-1/2 pound one listed above looks heavy and probably not as good at insulating from cold or frozen ground as a 3-4 oz piece of a closed cell foam pad.
 Post Number: 6
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 5:10 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

We use a z-lite folded in half for our dog.  He's got physical issues now so when he goes with us in the winter he rides in one of the sleds.

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 5:17 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

jhturbo, if you don't have to order it today wait until tomorrow if you can. It is in my gear room at the apartments next door and I don't feel like dressing warm to walk over. (And having to dig out the garage.;-) I have to go put stuff away tomorrow and will see what I have there.

A Z-Lite pad will be waterproof, offer 2.6 r-value, and weigh 4 or 5 oz.

Back to the 17 hour Super Bowl pre-game...

--------------
 Post Number: 8

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 5:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Feb. 03 2013, 4:10 pm)
He's got physical issues now so when he goes with us in the winter he rides in one of the sleds.

Cool. I have physical issues, can I ride in the sled too?

--------------
 Post Number: 9
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 03 2013, 6:38 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

To the OP...three dogs.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 10

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 1:46 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(rayestrella @ Feb. 03 2013, 5:19 pm)

(toesnorth @ Feb. 03 2013, 4:10 pm)
He's got physical issues now so when he goes with us in the winter he rides in one of the sleds.

Cool. I have physical issues, can I ride in the sled too?

Sure,

if you can find someone to pull it.

--------------
 Post Number: 11
highpeakdrifter Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 2:08 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Dog bed?. Jees.

My dog sleeps happily on the bottom corner of my sleeping bag when I'm alone...when I'm with a zip-together-sleeping bag partner, he sleeps in the little triangle between our feet.

But the first time he farts, he sleeps outside with his nose under his tail like the sled-dogs in the Iditarod...to be completely covered by wind-blown snow in the morning.

He doesn't like this much, so about 3 every morning, he whines and begs to go outside...then passes gas, and immediately wants to come back in to sleep comfortably in human warmth...
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 11:30 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The half-pad I have is 20 x 30 if that works for you jhturbo,

--------------
 Post Number: 13
hikerjer Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 11:34 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In the cold seasons, not winter, I don't the dog then, but in late fall usually, I just use a half section of some old blue closed cell foam.  It's dirty and ratty, but she doenst' seem to mind.  In the summer, she'll just have to sleep on the ground.

--------------
"Too often I have met men who boast only of how many miles they've traveled and not of what they've seen."  -  Louis L'Amour
 Post Number: 14
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 12:05 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

.when I'm with a zip-together-sleeping bag partner, he sleeps in the little triangle between our feet.

But the first time he farts, he sleeps outside with his nose under his tail like the sled-dogs in the Iditarod..

Pretty mean thing to do to your partner...but I guess it gives your dog more room

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 12:47 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Feb. 04 2013, 12:05 pm)
.when I'm with a zip-together-sleeping bag partner, he sleeps in the little triangle between our feet.

But the first time he farts, he sleeps outside with his nose under his tail like the sled-dogs in the Iditarod..

Pretty mean thing to do to your partner...but I guess it gives your dog more room

:laugh:

--------------
 Post Number: 16
reubenstump Search for posts by this member.
Lago Grey

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 04 2013, 5:11 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Whichever one my wife tells me to use.
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 2:11 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Ray your way seems to be the way to go. I just want to make sure he stays insulated off the ground. He is kind of a pansy at times.
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 6:55 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I am heading out right now for an overnighter. Send me an email, rayestrella AT
hotmail DOT com I should be back before noon tomorrow.

By the way it weighs 6 oz and folds up to 20 x 5 x 2

It is two-thirds of one of these.

http://www.backpackgeartest.org/reviews....strella

--------------
 Post Number: 19

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 4:20 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hello. Did you want it?

--------------
 Post Number: 20
Crockett Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 11:07 am Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(hikerjer @ Feb. 04 2013, 11:34 am)
... I just use a half section of some old blue closed cell foam.

So do I but, inevitably, when I wake during the night, my girl has full possession of the bottom of my inflatable and my legs are off to the side.  I've tried to move her off but I'm no match for those puppydog eyes.
19 replies since Feb. 03 2013, 3:34 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Dog Bed
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions