2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Page 1 of 212>>

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: Processing Wood, Folding Saw vs. Pocket Chain Saw< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
city2outdoors Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 6:29 pm  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Folding Saw vs. Pocket Chain Saw

What is your preference for cutting/processing wood on the trails?

~Phil

--------------
From the City to the Outdoors.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
High_Sierra_Fan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 7:07 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If I intend to use it a folding blade saw. If I'm just going to carry the thing I prefer the wire saws weight.
 Post Number: 3
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 7:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Hands and knee.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
 Post Number: 4
toesnorth Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 7:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Feb. 05 2013, 7:19 pm)
Hands and knee.

Your hands and knees must be a LOT younger than mine!

--------------
"Failure is never as frightening as regret."
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 5
Franco Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 8:45 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I tried the "pocket chain saw", lots of work...
Much prefer a folding blade.
 Post Number: 6
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 9:14 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(TDale @ Feb. 05 2013, 7:19 pm)
Hands and knee.

+1 on this method. The only time I take a folding saw is when either out canoeing or winter camping. Canoeing I don't mind the extra weight and same for winter camping as I use a pulk plus you need it to cut a lot of firewood.
 Post Number: 7
LyttleBryan Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 9:28 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I own both a pocket chain saw (can't remember the brand name) and a Sven.  I much prefer the Sven.  My buddies prefer the Saw-vivor.  I also prefer it to the chain saw, but not as much as the Sven.
 Post Number: 8
city2outdoors Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 9:51 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I guess the bigger question now is...how big are your fires?

I'm assuming backpacking fire are much smaller than campground fires, which is why they don't bigger tools (sometimes bare hands it seems like).

Is this because of LNT?

--------------
From the City to the Outdoors.
 Post Number: 9
Montanalonewolf Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 10:19 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

What do you need a fire for?

I haven't had a fire in several years, even in the dead of winter and below 0°F.

--------------
If you are free to be a Liberal- Thank a person with a gun.

Those who don't read have no advantage over those who can't.
 Post Number: 10
big_load Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 10:54 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Usually no fires for me.
 Post Number: 11
tomas Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 10:59 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(city2outdoors @ Feb. 05 2013, 9:51 pm)
I guess the bigger question now is...how big are your fires?

I'm assuming backpacking fire are much smaller than campground fires, which is why they don't bigger tools (sometimes bare hands it seems like).

Is this because of LNT?

If I can't break the branches with my hands then I don't use it for a fire. Usually any fire that I have only goes for an hour at most, so larger sticks aren't necessary.

--------------
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
 Post Number: 12

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 11:30 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Montanalonewolf @ Feb. 05 2013, 10:19 pm)

I haven't had a fire in several years, even in the dead of winter and below 0°F.

Need?  No, but hubby likes them and it is a pleasant way to end the day and I cook over it, too.
Ah, ambiance.

--------------
 Post Number: 13
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 11:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

When I have had a fire, I've used the boot method. If it can't break with a boot, it doesn't belong in my fire pit.

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
 Post Number: 14
AlmostThere Search for posts by this member.
I must not be there yet, I keep hiking...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 11:43 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If there is a saw in the pack it will be used to clear trail or get through dense brush. For leisure backpacking there is no saw, unless I am venturing into regions where trails are not maintained very well.

Break it with your hands, a rock, a boot - or leave it there.

--------------
All truly great thoughts are conceived by walking.
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 15

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 05 2013, 11:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I only have fires in the winter because of wildfire issues so I do carry a saw then.  Sometimes a real fire, sometimes just enough wood for the Tri-ti.
Just something about a wood fire..........in the backcountry....................... :)

--------------
 Post Number: 16

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 1:44 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

In national parks, we can't build fires in winter - most of our trips go there.

So we carry stoves.

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 17

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 2:03 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(AlmostThere @ Feb. 06 2013, 1:44 am)

So we carry stoves.

Well, that's a bummer.  Come on up and hike with us in the north country.   :)

--------------
 Post Number: 18

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 2:33 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(toesnorth @ Feb. 06 2013, 2:03 am)

(AlmostThere @ Feb. 06 2013, 1:44 am)

So we carry stoves.

Well, that's a bummer.  Come on up and hike with us in the north country.   :)

What, and lose the excuse to carry the down pants, hat, jacket, booties and Toasty Toes?

But I'd come to go hiking with you.  :laugh:

--------------
     Friedrich Nietzsche
 Post Number: 19
toejam Search for posts by this member.
the high road is hard to find

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 8:41 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

The good old Coghlan's Sierra Saw is cheap, light, and actually cuts small logs without wearing you out. If you really need to cut something it's much better than the chain.

Several of the guys I hike with carry a Silky Big Boy 2000, but that's for clearing trails.

Never mind these guys with their no fires. Geeeez.
 Post Number: 20
JRinGeorgia Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 9:09 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

+2 on no fire. Because of a combination of LNT and PITA.

--------------
- JRinGeorgia
 Post Number: 21
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 9:19 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Many years ago I used to take a sven saw on canoe trips.

These days I still like to have a small fire sometimes where appropriate, but have always limited it to "squaw wood" when doing any form of  lightweight (i.e. non motorized) camping.

I have occasionally made an exception when bicycle touring and staying somewhere that I could buy a bundle of firewood, but I still didn't need a saw.
 Post Number: 22
OverUnder Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 9:45 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I don't always bring it but if I do its a folding saw.  The cable saws are way to much work.  If I don't have the saw then its the prop and stomp method.  I enjoy the fires so unless I'm in an area that they are not allowed there will be one burning.
 Post Number: 23
QCHIKER Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 9:51 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Usually I get wood that is easily broken over my knee or with a foot. My fires are very small and I usually have only fine ash with no chunks when done with it.
 Post Number: 24
GoBlueHiker Search for posts by this member.
Obsessive Island Hopper...

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 10:06 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I rarely have fires when not car-camping.  The few times I do I just use what I can break, like others mentioned.

--------------
Wealth needs more.  Happiness needs less.  Simplify.

www.RainForestTreks.com
 Post Number: 25
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 06 2013, 10:10 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Haven't had a personal campfire in 25 years. Why, you ask? A campfire is the biggest single thing that separates you from nature. It commands all your senses and you miss everything going on around you.

Campfires are unnatural. They're great social glue, but for solo backpacking, I find a fire is unecessary and even dangerous because they attract attention and dislose your location. Of course, survival situations are an exception.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 26
GregF Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 1:57 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use my hands. Do not need a saw or hatchet. Before starting a fire I make sure I have a large pile (3' x 2') of 0.5" to 1" sticks. These you can collect without a tool. I also collect 8-12 big pieces of wood (4" to 6"diameter) to serve as long term heat holding coals. These will last 2hrs or so and are easy to collect by just finding a downed tree of that size and breaking the pieces off. This is easy in the woods as there are usually pairs of large trees (ideally a single tree with multiple trunks) where you place the firewood tree between the two upright gree trunks and break it off in small chunks. This is easy if the wood is dry and the lemgth of the wood is long (10ft) which provides plenty of leverage to break the wood into chunks.

A SHARP hatchet is a dangerous tool in a wilderness situation where you are many hours or days from civilization. It does have value if it has been raining as you can split the wood to get at the dry interior easily but this is still not really necessary as there is usually plenty of small dry twigs availabile if you look hard enough and in the right places.

I have used a plastic handled foldiong trr trip saw that only weighs 6oz which can also be used as a knife by using a sweeping motion to trim bark from a branch... or waterever. 6oz is sure better than the 19oz that a Fiskars X5 w/sheath weighs. And th Fiskars is to small to handle anything larger than 1-2" diameter anyway.
 Post Number: 27
wcolucci Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 3:06 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I think fire was invented by hardshell and tent manufacturers.  Fire throws off these sneaky little embers  ya see that are attracted to nylon...

I could do w/out although I do like the idea of a fire at night.

My hiking partner?  He will burn a couch if he could carry it in.

but for solo backpacking, I find a fire is unecessary and even dangerous because they attract attention and dislose your location.

who ya hiding from ???

--------------
getting old stinks...but it beats the alternative
 Post Number: 28
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 4:46 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Feb. 07 2013, 3:06 pm)
but for solo backpacking, I find a fire is unecessary and even dangerous because they attract attention and dislose your location.

who ya hiding from ???

I have to wonder that as well.
 Post Number: 29
desert dweller Search for posts by this member.
Greetings

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 5:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(wcolucci @ Feb. 07 2013, 1:06 pm)

I think fire was invented by hardshell and tent manufacturers.  Fire throws off these sneaky little embers  ya see that are attracted to nylon...

I could do w/out although I do like the idea of a fire at night.

My hiking partner?  He will burn a couch if he could carry it in.

who ya hiding from ???

1. When I go solo backpacking my goal is not see anyone for as many days as I can. That's just the way I like it. The idea is not about hiding but about solitude.

2. More than once when sitting by a fire, back when I had campfires, I've had someone come up to my camp without my even knowing anyone was around. It's quite startling to hear a voice emmanating from the pitch black when you're out in the middle of nowhere. Who could be out there that I'd be concerned about? Here are few.

Malcontents
Bandits
A family
Someone with a boombox
Entrants

3. By not having a fire, I will stand a better chance of not being seen and therefore not receive company. And, without a fire to command all my attention I'll be able to hear approaching people, horses, vehicles, drones or cows.

Solo backpacking is about meshing with nature. You can't do that with folks around.

--------------
Seek Higher Ground
Can you feel the silence

Photobucket
Flickr
YouTube
 Post Number: 30
TDale Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 6:04 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

John Wayne used a big fire and a partner as bait.

With a group, I do whatever the group wants to do.  Alone?  Either a squaw fire(hands and knees) or no fire.  No fire leaves me free to fish, wander, wonder,whatever.

--------------
"Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again...They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave."
38 replies since Feb. 05 2013, 6:29 pm < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

Page 1 of 212>>
reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply Processing Wood
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions