2 Free Issues and 3 Free Gifts!
Full Name:
Address 1:
Address 2:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Email: (required)
If I like it and decide to continue, I'll pay just $12.00, and receive a full one-year subscription (9 issues in all), a 73% savings off the newsstand price! If for any reason I decide not to continue, I'll write "cancel" on the invoice and owe nothing.
Your subscription includes 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Or click here to pay now and get 2 extra issues
Offer valid in US only.

» Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll
Topic: BA Cross Mountain (or similar 40 degree bag), recommendations?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
 Post Number: 1
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

Group: Members
PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 10:20 am  Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

Looking for a new warm weather bag.
I really prefer a 40 degree (or very close).
I'm mostly looking to cut some weight without breaking the bank.
2 pounds or less would be great.
Any thoughts on the Cross Mountain from BA,or other recommendation?
Top of Page Profile Contact Info 
 Post Number: 2
ashepabst Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 10:54 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

last summer i found a deal on Lafuma Manor Extreme 600 (45*)... it was a close-out deal so might not be around anymore but... this sucker is only 20ozs and compresses down to cantaloupe size. i only got to test it a few times this summer, but i have no complaints so far.

--------------
/\ /\/\ / \   / \
/\/ \ / \ /\ / \-^/ \^. /\
/ \ \ \/ \ \ / \ \ / \ /\
\  \  \ \ / \/ / \
\ / \
 Post Number: 3
TrailTromper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 10:58 am Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

FWIW, the concept of a semi rectangular bag with a pocket for a pad and no insulation in the bottom sounded attractive to me but didn't really work out like I hoped.  I found that I really liked a regular slim cut mummy that could be zipped open and used like a quilt.  For me the 17 oz Mountain Hardwear Phantom 45 is perfect for most of my usage where the temperature can be counted on not going lower than the teens F (I need to wear some clothing with it a little below freezing).

With that in mind I'd advise either trying one out first or buying from REI or someone else with a liberal return policy.  In nothing else at least try it out in the store.
 Post Number: 4
rayestrella Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 12:21 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

OBChristo is selling one.

http://forums.backpacker.com/cgi-bin....1162807

Why not a quilt? Be even less weight and they really shine at warmer temps.

--------------
I measure happiness with an altimeter
 Post Number: 5
treelinebackpacker Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 5:29 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

A quilt is an interesting concept, but I think I'd rather have a full rectangular bag than a quilt honestly.
I didn't really the cross mountain had no insulation on the  bottom, I too like to unzip it and use it blanket style.

I found a north face allegheny, and it looks about perfect  for my needs. If I can find the down version (it's out there) I'll be in heaven.
 Post Number: 6
Thatbakerkid Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 5:39 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

If you don't mind ordering internationally; I've got a Mountain Equipment CoOp Gosling 40* which has been fantastic. It's a rectangular bag and works great zipped open as a quilt in my Hennessey hammock in the summer, or just over a pad in my Eden 1.

Around a hundred bucks. Great bag.

--------------
No matter how beautiful the strategy, one should occasionally look at the results.
My Blog about travel, backpacking and the universe.
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 7
Tigger Search for posts by this member.
Woods Pouncer

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 6:36 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

20 degree 800 fill down quilt on sale for $99. 1 lb 8 oz

http://www.golite.com/UltraLite-3-Season-Quilt-Regular-P851.aspx

Edit: Nevermind - Out of stock

--------------
If I'm going to be lost, in the woods is where I want to be...
Top of Page Profile Contact Info WEB 
 Post Number: 8
Owen571 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 6:44 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

(treelinebackpacker @ Feb. 07 2013, 9:20 am)

The 40F bag I have experience with is the Marmot Arete(wonderful bag). 800 fill and 1.5lb.
They're $150-160 online sometimes.

That Cross Mountain is only $107.96 at Campmor, and only weighs a few more oz. 'Course the one review it has at Campmor is a 1 star review complaining of being cold at 60F...
There's a lot of other 40 degree bags out there to look at, too, but I'm another who'd be shopping for a quilt if starting over. That Enlightened Equipment Revelation looks really nice at 1lb. More $$$, though.
 Post Number: 9
TrailTramper Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 07 2013, 10:37 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic. Skip to the next post in this topic. Ignore posts   QUOTE

I use a generously rated 35F that can go to 25F with a bit of extra clothing: http://www.llbean.com/llb....ular-35

If you don't do winter camping, that bag is all you need for 3 seasons. With a 40F bag I think you would end up needing at least two bags.

In a heat wave there are simple, light alternatives to a sleeping bag---a sheet, a light cotton quilt (that's what I use), or a fleece blanket.
 Post Number: 10
falaird1 Search for posts by this member.

PostIcon Posted on: Feb. 09 2013, 7:53 pm Skip to the previous post in this topic.  Ignore posts   QUOTE

(Owen571 @ Feb. 07 2013, 6:44 pm)

(treelinebackpacker @ Feb. 07 2013, 9:20 am)

The 40F bag I have experience with is the Marmot Arete(wonderful bag). 800 fill and 1.5lb.
They're $150-160 online sometimes.

That Cross Mountain is only $107.96 at Campmor, and only weighs a few more oz. 'Course the one review it has at Campmor is a 1 star review complaining of being cold at 60F...
There's a lot of other 40 degree bags out there to look at, too, but I'm another who'd be shopping for a quilt if starting over. That Enlightened Equipment Revelation looks really nice at 1lb. More $$$, though.

I also have the Marmot Arete and love it. I bought it at Marmotmountainworks.com for $165, but recently saw it at Backcountry.com for $140
9 replies since Feb. 07 2013, 10:20 am < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track This Topic :: Email This Topic :: Print this topic ]

reply to topic new topic new poll

» Quick Reply BA Cross Mountain (or similar 40 degree bag)
iB Code Buttons
You are posting as:

Do you wish to enable your signature for this post?
Do you wish to enable emoticons for this post?
Track this topic
View All Emoticons
View iB Code

Get 2 FREE Trial Issues and 3 FREE GIFTS
Survival Skills 101 • Eat Better
The Best Trails in America
YES! Please send me my FREE trial issues of Backpacker
and my 3 FREE downloadable booklets.
Full Name:
City:
Address 1:
Zip Code:
State:
Address 2:
Email (required):
Free trial offer valid for US subscribers only. Canadian subscriptions | International subscriptions